View Full Version : the Kentish fledgling flies solo

stiknruda
25th Jul 2003, 18:11
Just had a phone call from Ed to say that he solo'd this morning at Rochester on his 16th birthday.

Ed can not post for a couple of days as he intends to get too aerosol'd to type! (such behaviour would never have been condoned in my day.....:( )

I understand that the wind at Manston was 18G20 and across the runway so the decision was made to go to Rochester. Upon arrival at Rochester the first 5 of 7 circuits were done in slight drizzle and circuits 6 and 7 were done in far better conditions.

Ed' s used to 2752 meters of tarmac at EGMH but quickly became accustomed to the EGTO's 827m of grass.

How all he has to do is wait a year before he can apply for a PPL, take pax and go foreign! I can almost envisage the application stating 100hrs PIC!:cool:

Very well done Ed or congrats tKf:ok:

Stik:O

Evo
25th Jul 2003, 18:36
Well done Ed - glad the weather was better than in 'Sunny' Sussex. :ok: :D

Whirlybird
25th Jul 2003, 18:52
Kentish Fledgling,
I've been following your progess with interest since you started posting to the Flyer List when you were barely a fledgling...just hatched I guess. Always knew you'd do it sooner rather than later. CONGRATULATIONS ED! :ok: :ok: :ok:

Kolibear
25th Jul 2003, 19:39
Congratulations tKf, thats a marvellous achievement and I'm very pleased for you. :)

I look forward to seeing you fly in to a Fly-in :)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th Jul 2003, 20:02
Excellent news, Ed - I'm so glad you managed it on your actual birthday. Never doubted you'd be ready in time, but did wonder if the weather would allow it to happen.

Well done!!

SSD

singaporegirl
25th Jul 2003, 22:14
Well done Ed! Now you just have to wait for a couple of years till you're old enough to drink...;)

Circuit Basher
25th Jul 2003, 23:38
TkF - was down at Broadstairs yesterday - shame I couldn't stay to witness the event (although as I was without transport, the shift from EGMH to EGTO would have scuppered any plans to witness the event!!)!!

Welcome to the world of the hangover ;)
http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/ernaehrung/food-smiley-012.gif http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/ernaehrung/food-smiley-004.gif http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/party/party-smiley-052.gif http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/wuerg/vomit-smiley-026.gif

BRL
26th Jul 2003, 03:03
Well done mate, thats great news. I know you were looking forward to it so much, you must be over the moon (or on it depending how much ale you have consumed.) :D

(Happy Birthday too.!!!!!!) :ok:

SteveR
26th Jul 2003, 03:19
I witnessed it!! (Kind of)

I first flew Ed about 3 years ago, when he was nobbut an egg really. His mother met me at the time, and she looked a bit worried - not half as anxious as she looked this morning in Rochester's excellent caff......

I managed to get permission for the family and freinds to watch from the tower, so they had a pretty special experience of it as well.

Happy birthday Ed

Well soloed Ed

(will you come back and actually drink this coffee?)

Steve R

Cusco
26th Jul 2003, 05:23
I feel very proud that as the originator of Ed's handle TFK I have witnessed his slaughtering of Ex 14 on his 16th B'day.

This young fella has a long way to go in aviation and I look forward to the day when , relaxing in the back of a 747 to JFK,
I hear - ' bing-bong... this is Captain Ludlow welcoming you on this flight to JFK'.

Well done Ed, cherish the moment and roll on 25.7.04........the time will fly by (pun intended)

Safe flying

Cusco.

PPPPP
26th Jul 2003, 05:37
Well done Ed, this is one birthday you'll remember without any difficulty. All the best for your future career, you've made the finest start possible!

treadigraph
26th Jul 2003, 06:16
Jealous? Moi? Git!

Seriously congrats and Bless You for caring about flying!

Treadders

Speedbird252
26th Jul 2003, 06:29
well done mate, and welcome to the club.

Prepared to be skint!

Speedy
:ok:

Keef
26th Jul 2003, 06:44
I suppose the name will have to change - how much longer can he be a "fledgling"?

Anyway, well done that man, hope the hangover wasn't too bad, and I'm sure we'll see you around plenty. Any time you want a seat in an aeroplane...

Quite a few of us have a sort of vicarious pleasure in having watched tKF progress from keen RHS to pretty competent pilot. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

paulo
26th Jul 2003, 08:12
Fledge - Well effin done! Now, just keep those G's as your aspiration. Well, it would be a waste to see it all go straight and level. :p

'ere Stik, landing on both wheels yet? :)

iainpoll
26th Jul 2003, 18:49
Superb TKF - really pleased for you!!!!

Enjoy:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

flyingwysiwyg
26th Jul 2003, 20:31
TKF,

Well done mate! :ok:

F - Wyg

rustle
26th Jul 2003, 22:16
Congrats, Ed. :ok:

Enjoy the rest of it...

TheKentishFledgling
27th Jul 2003, 04:02
Many thanks everyone for your kind comments re my solo, especially stik for passing the message on in the first place.

Rest assured a full "report" will appear here soon, I've got to try and recall it in full first :)

tKF

BeauMan
27th Jul 2003, 05:22
tKF - Well done fella! I solo'd again a couple of weeks ago after a nine year break, so I kinda know how you feel.

Reading a lot of the comments on this thread, you've obviously made quite an impression on people, and by the sounds of it your success yesterday is well deserved. All the best for the rest of the course, and whatever you choose to do afterwards. I'm sure you'll be a success. :ok: