PDA

View Full Version : A320 descent and approach?

reverserunlocked
25th Jul 2003, 00:32
Hullo all..

I recently travelled FRA-MAN on a LH A320 and I've got a few questions about the descent procedure, not specifically for that route but for the A320 generally.

If you were vectored onto the localiser from 10,000ft and told to maintain, say 2000ft until established, how far out would you begin to slow from 250kts, if no speed restrictions were applied?

Also at which ballpark speeds and how far out would you extend each stage of flaps and lower the gear? If no speed rectrictions applied, what's the fastest that you'd safely fly the approach, and what's the shortest final approach fix you'd give youself before lining up in an A320?

Much appreciated in advance

RU

Hand Solo
25th Jul 2003, 02:58
If you were vectored onto the localiser from 10,000ft and told to maintain, say 2000ft until established

Not quite sure I understand this one. At which point do you expect us to descend to 2000ft?

Handling will all depend on the weight and weather conditions, a light aircraft with a strong headwind would permit a more expeditious approach. That said, assuming a mid-weight aircraft, level at 2000ft on the localiser, with totally flat surrounding terrain, you would intercept a 3 degree glideslope at approx 6.5 miles and I'd be confident to maintain 250kts to 10.5 then do constant deceleration to 1000ft using speedbrake and gear as necessary. This assumes a fully configured aircraft at the correct final approach speed at 1000ft.

Flap selections are based on speed. Maximum flap speeds (VFE) are:

Flap 1 230kts
Flap 2 200kts
Flap 3 185 kts
Flap Full 177kts

The gear is generally lowered as late as possible (2000ft at the latest in my company), but you can take it any time you need the extra drag, subject to the max gear extension speed of 250kts.

In terms of short final approaches, I generally wouldn't accept vectors to anything less than 6 miles because the controllers usually mess you up (controversial). If left to my own devices I'm more than happy to hit the final approach path at 4 miles.

reverserunlocked
25th Jul 2003, 20:02
Thanks Hands Solo, that's precisely what I wanted to know..much obliged.

Just to clear it up, what I meant was if you were told by the controller to descend from 10,000 ft to 2000 ft and during the descent were given vectors to intercept the localiser.

One more thing while I'm here, how late would you ideally want the cabin secured by?

Ta
RU:)