PDA

View Full Version : UKFT again (sorry)

j0_ey
23rd Jul 2003, 21:53
I have been looking for a flight school in California that will allow me to rent a plane for 100 hours 'hour building' around the US.

I plan to stay in California for 2 weeks prior to going on the trip that I expect will take around a month. So far only 2 schools have really looked promising.

Rainbowair - Looked great, still does. However after speaking on the phone to them I discovered I can only fly a maximum of 600nm from Long Beach which won't get me far if I plan to fly around the US.

UKFT - I haven't got a clue to be honest. Looked on their website and learnt nothing. This is where I need info...

Do they allow planes to be rented, what are there prices, what are their renting restrictions (distance, hours per day, length of trip etc) what planes to they have? And so on.

I have tried ringing them but to no avail, I have given up waiting for a reply to my emails, and I am now counting on the knowledge of the forum to help guide me. I have read all the previous posts about the quality of these schools so don't worry about that.

Any suggestions of other schools in that area that will allow me to do the trip will be great! :ok:

Thanks

Julian
23rd Jul 2003, 22:06
Joey,

Go direct the Rainbow, UKFT get their aircraft from RA anyway but add about $10-20+/Hr to the price.

Ring Rainbow and speak to Dave Parsons, he is the co-owner and a Brit. Very straight talking and help you on the way to what aircraft you should be looking at depending upon your requirements., i.e. loca or interstate flights.

Aircraft can be rented after a FI checkout which is typically 1 hour if you have flown type before.
Complex requires 5 hours dual for insurance purposes.
Seneca requires 25 dual with one of their instructors or 50 total ME time in your logbook.

Dont even ask if you can borrow the King Air :E

For touring go for the Archer III or one of new 172SPs. Both about $92/hour block rate of 10 hours.

Julian.

onehunga
23rd Jul 2003, 22:57
I am going to Air Desert Pacific in Sept for a couple of weeks to do some hour building. Hope to knock out 50 hours in that time and will be venturing out and about to take in the sights. Check out their website which has full details of costs, free transfers and accomodation options etc. This outfit has been discussed numerous times on pprune.

I seem to remember something about UKFT moving to another field? Could be wrong though but then might explain their lack of response to your emails/calls etc.

You might also want to do a search of pprune typing in such things as LA flying, california and suchlike. A number of other Californian schools will come up that don't appear in either flyer or pilot magazine.

Have fun.

Julian
23rd Jul 2003, 23:22
Onehunga, UKFT have moved to the otherside of the airfield but still at LGB. Rainbow have built a very nice new facility and UKFT rent an office from them now instead as the previous premises were well past their sell date to be honest!

BlueRobin
24th Jul 2003, 00:04
I wish Rainbow would update their website - it's at least 2.5 years out of date :rolleyes:

j0_ey
24th Jul 2003, 07:40
Yes Raibowair's website is very old... :rolleyes: Is it still accurate?

Go direct the Rainbow, UKFT get their aircraft from RA anyway but add about $10-20+/Hr to the price.

But like I said the problem with Rainbow is that I can only travel a maximum of 600nm, and I plan to fly as far as NYC and Florida etc. Perhaps when I was told this, it was false. Anyone know?

The C-172sp I feel is certainly the way to go, the fact that they are modern, comfortable and offer great views for sightseeing.

Julian
24th Jul 2003, 15:57
Seems they still have their old site running as well !! Try this one for them ( I know it refers to IMC but just happened to be how its saved on my 'Favs').

http://www.emailcasts.com/rainbow_air/academy_JAA-IMC_Rating.htm

Jo-ey, do you hold any instrument rating? I think you will find that it may be something to do with that as I do not have a restiction when I hire. Alternatively you could offer to do dual time with their instructors to show to them you arent going to stack their aircraft. Even before I held an IR there was never any mention of 600nm so may be a new requirement. I would drop them an email and find out exactlt what its for and how to lift the restriction.

Julian.

englishal
24th Jul 2003, 21:04
Agree totally with Julian.

I always go over with these great plans to fly millions of miles, but normally end up in the pub all day :D [it must be the crowd I hang out with, last time I have vague memories of a rock band, lots of beer and a Magnum 44 at about 4am...didn't do next days flying much good :D]

Never had a restriction on distance either [apart from the pub]

Cyer
EA

j0_ey
25th Jul 2003, 00:36
I don't have an IR. I have heard of other schools needing this before allowing planes to rented over long distances, but she never said this to me. I will ring them again because there is no point emailing them... I have never received a reply. :*

I did actaully ask the woman whether they had a more updated website and she said that she would make sure to check for updates or at least get someone to update the current one. Hmmm. :suspect:

I have to admit though, Rainbowair does look very good. It's just the 600nm rule that is affecting my choice at the moment. :sad:

vinil
4th Aug 2003, 05:09
UKFT does not rent planes. They only do training. I got my PPL with them and I wanted to rent a 152 and they handed me over to Rainbow Air.