PDA

View Full Version : NPPL/PPL Help/Advice needed

Beagle-eye
21st Jul 2003, 21:38
I have a lapsed PPL (A) with just over 250 hours total time. I last flew as P1 in July 1998 before money (or lack of it) meant that I had to discontinue flying. I am thinking of getting back into it.

The question is .... should I go for the NPPL or go for CAA/JAR licence ?

I now own my own company and could (legitimately) use an aircraft for business purposes (i.e. business travel). Would such use be precluded by NPPL ?

IO540
21st Jul 2003, 22:39
Most people doing the NPPL are older people who could not get the CAA Class 2 medical. I would not bother with it unless this is the reason. The amount of training for a level of proficiency appropriate to flying around in UK airspace won't likely be any different.

As regards flying for your own business, you can do that with a PPL provided you are an employee of the company on whose business it is, and you are not contractually required to fly. This is my understanding, and I don't think an NPPL is any different.

You can't add the IMC/IR Rating to an NPPL which makes it very restrictive for flying anywhere seriously (e.g. planned in advance rather than on the day when the sun is shining) and you can't go abroad.

expedite_climb
22nd Jul 2003, 00:42
As it is (just) over 5 years since you flew youll need to send your logbook to the CAA for assessment of retraining. Then do a skills test.

Likelyhood is that it wont be that much, and would be no different if you wanted a NPPL. Not sure if re-qualifcation requirements for the NPPL are written down anywhere.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Jul 2003, 00:57
I have a lapsed PPL (A) with just over 250 hours total time. I last flew as P1 in July 1998 before money (or lack of it) meant that I had to discontinue flying. I am thinking of getting back into it.

The question is .... should I go for the NPPL or go for CAA/JAR licence ? The third option (which is what I've just done) is to renew your UK PPL.

Stan Evil
22nd Jul 2003, 02:47
Pop down to the local flying school and speak to the CFI. He can look at your licence, ratings and logbook and should be able to tell you what you need to do. Without seeing these items you'll only get educted guesses on this forum.

You may only need to pass a licensing skill test (LST) after whatever refresher training you and he think is needed (assessment by the CAA is only required for multi-engine ratings). An LST is basically GH, emergencies and circuits. You'll need a current Class 2 Medical as well.

That's my 'educated guess' anyway.

BEagle
22nd Jul 2003, 03:44
Beagle-eye - nice handle! Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.....

All you need to do to 'renew' your single engine piston privileges (assuming that your PPL is a lapsed 'lifetime' one) is to obtain a 'JAR Class 2' medical from your local nuts-fondler, do whatever refresher flying your friendly local club think you need, then do a Single Engine Piston (Land) Class Rating Renewal Proficiency Check with your local PPL Examiner. The SEP renewal prof.ck. is the usual take-off, steep turns, a couple of stalls, PFL and circuits which you'll have done before.

Enjoy! There would be some differences (mainly admin) in going for a NPPL - but if you can meet the medical standards, go for renewing your UK PPL - and do NOT convert it to a JAR-FCL PPL!

IO540
22nd Jul 2003, 16:07
Beagle,

What is the advantage of not converting to a JAA PPL?