PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Palm Springs, CA & Scottsdale, AZ

EchoKiloEcho
21st Jul 2003, 15:58
I'm going on a golfing holiday to Palm Springs, CA :cool: & then on to Scottsdale, AZ :cool: in the U.S.A the 1st week in August 2003 and just wanted to know if anyone can give me some information on flying in the area. I just want to do a couple of duel hours with an instructor.

Anyone know of any good/friendly flying schools (would prever PA28's)

Any thing I shouldn't miss while out there? What should I take with me?

FlyingForFun
21st Jul 2003, 17:04
I flew over Palm Springs but didn't stop, so can't really help there.

As for Scottsdale, there is an airport there, I'm sure there are a few schools on the airport which are very good but I don't know them. If you fancy a short drive to the other side of town, though, I can recommend Chandler Air Service (http://www.aerobatics.com/) - some excellent instructors, and a whole range of aircraft including PA28s.

If all you're looking for is some dual hours, I guess you'll be going wherever your instructor recommends, which is a pity because there are loads of places to go which are just a little too far for a dual trip. If you get the chance, you could check out the Grand Canyon, or fly to Tucson then get a taxi to the Air and Space Museum (make sure you pay the few dollars extra for the tour of the aircraft graveyard). Sedona was my favourite place - the airfield is a little tricky but certainly not impossible. If you're just staying local, then the best scenery is out the east of Phoenix.

Have fun - and feel free to reply here, or PM me, if you want more info!

FFF
-----------

Evo
21st Jul 2003, 18:13
...and if you go to Tucson then you'll get to share a taxiway with F16s :ok: :D

Keef
21st Jul 2003, 18:29
Palm Springs Air Museum (on the field) is worth a visit. It's going to be horrendously hot there in August, though.

The flying all round California is a delight - you will enjoy it, pretty much wherever you go. There have been several threads on "places to fly" with answers like Catalina Island, Big Bear, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Death Valley... Those are all "difficult" so an instructor or a good practice first are pretty well essential.

buzzc152
21st Jul 2003, 18:33
I've flown into Palm Springs twice.... albeit very briefly. I'll tell you one thing...... it hot there, and I mean HOT. I think it was about 115 F when I landed and with the heat reflecting straight back off the tarmac.... phew !! The wings one the old C152 were starting to drop as they melted.

The approach from the NW through the Banning Pass is quite a good one though is usually pretty bumpy.

I'm afraid I don't know any specifics regarding schools, clubs.

newswatcher
21st Jul 2003, 19:07
There were several airports in the Palm Springs "valley" when I was there a couple of years ago. The Regional Airport(PSP) has a flying school which can be found here - http://www.flypalmsprings.com

Other airports include Bermuda Dunes(UDD) and Desert Resorts(aka Thermal(TRM)), but I don't have any information about flying clubs there.

As with most places in the States, Palm Springs is fairly spread out, you probably want to book your accommodation near the airport you eventually pick. Have you booked your rooms yet? Try Hyatt Grand Champions for a bit of luxury, but some 15 miles from PSP. Nearer PSP we stayed at Wyndham Resort, fantastic pool, and great to have breakfast outside(under parasol!), watching the humming birds feed! Others worth a look near PSP are Westin and Doral. Wouldn't be surprised to see you get a double at under £50/night.

Do try the Mexican Restaurant in East Tahquitz Canyon Way, just east of South Indian Canyon Drive, on the corner. Can't remember the name, but not as far down as Shermans! Try the Quesadillas in the "street" restaurant outside the Hyatt Regency. There was a great girl singer appearing nightly about 6/7PM, but I guess she will have moved on to better things by now!

Recommend the Cable Car, known as the Aerial Tramway - http://www.pstramway.com/ Breathtaking views from the top at nearly 9000 feet, and eerily silent!

Shopping? Worth a trip to the Desert Hills Premium Outlets, out of Palmsprings up the I-10 towards LA.

Have a great time!:ok:

stiknruda
21st Jul 2003, 19:34
Budd Davisson is based at Scottsdale, he'll do you a Pitts check out. N8PB is a very sweet S2A!

Airbum.com

The guys at Chandler are also v friendly and helpful.

Stik

Hufty
21st Jul 2003, 21:31
Try to pop into Million Air at Palm Springs - great FBO. There is a pilot Jacuzzi there!

Try looking at Airnav www.airnav.com that will give you details of each airport in the US and lists of flying schools at each field etc.

Flying in the US is so much better than over here (I'm prepared to get flamed for that).

Have fun!!

Tall_guy_in_a_152
21st Jul 2003, 21:32
The Cable Car is definitely wortrh a visit, but it used to be closed in August for maintenance :( . I cannot find a mention of this on the website, so things may have changed. August is low season in that part of the world so good deals can be had, if you can stand the heat.

The top station overlooks Palm Springs Airport so you can watch an interesting assortment of traffic arriving and departing from above. :8

TG.

Edit:
On reflection, I would say that the traffic at KPSP is 'varied', rather than 'interesting'!

slim_slag
22nd Jul 2003, 04:34
Budd Davisson is based at Scottsdale, he'll do you a Pitts check out. N8PB is a very sweet S2A!

Ah yes, you will learn one hell of a lot with that plane/instructor combination.

Was out at SDL a couple of days ago, the place was deserted. Budd reckons he can get in around 15 "touch and go's" an hour in 8PB when it's quiet like that - and it's class D!!! Flying 15 "touch and go's" an hour in a Pitts will drain you more than the 110 degree heat in that perspex covered back seat of his :)

EchoKiloEcho
22nd Jul 2003, 16:09
Yes newswatcher I am staying at the Hyatt Grand Champions Resort in Palm Springs - I it nice? The reason I'm going in August is because it is low season. Golf is realy over priced in the winter. I guess there is a reason for that! :\ I'm worried about this 'heat' everyone is talking about. Hope its note to hot to fly.

I checked out Chandler Air Service...Looks good. I'll definately look into it.

We'll drive past Sedona as well on our way to Scottsdale from Las Vegas. I've seen a couple of photos on www.airliners.net of Sedona Airport. Very nice scenery!

How long drive is the Airplane graveyard (Tucson) from Scottsdale?

newswatcher
22nd Jul 2003, 17:11
Hi echo.

I thought the "Hyatt Grand Champions" was one of the best hotels I have seen. Lovely grounds, and seven swimming pools. Fantastic facilities if you play tennis, but you will not want to play much in the heat! http://grandchampions.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

Didn't actually stay there, but did go in for a drink! Saw one of those "roadrunner" birds right up by the window! It has just undergone an extensive renovation($65m), so don't know what it is like now. It is isolated, more Indian Wells than Palm Springs, and you will definitely benefit from having a car.

If you have never been in a hot country, you must "read up" about it. Key rules for coping with heat are to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and to slow down and cool off when feeling fatigued, a headache, a high pulse rate or shallow breathing. Probably on a par with Dubai at it's hottest! It was 120F last Monday(14/7). Recommend you take a high factor sunscreen, and a hat is advisable!

Davis-Monthan, the "graveyard" near Tucson, is about 125 miles(2.5hrs) from Scottsdale, but in the "wrong" direction, if you know what I mean! Not exactly a detour on your drive from Palm Springs to Scottsdale. Palms Springs to Scottsdale is over 250 miles(4.5-5hrs).

Whilst in the Tucson area, you might want to check out the Pima Air & Space Museum http://www.pimaair.org/ and also the Titan Museum http://www.pimaair.org/titan_01.htm a "moth-balled" silo.

Nearly forgot, there is also a smaller "graveyard" at Marana(Pinal Air Park), run by Evergreen Air Centre, but I believe you have to give advance warning and ask nicely if you want to go there!
http://www.evergreenaviation.com/EAC/

You might also find this site useful for reference http://www.azohwy.com/f/flying.htm

and this previous post has some good information!
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70569

I envy you your trip, am planning to do Phoenix-Vegas-Palm Springs next year. :ok:

stiknruda
22nd Jul 2003, 17:16
slim-slag,

my log book shows 84 landings at Scottsdale in 8 peanut butter

well worth it.

Stik

Tall_guy_in_a_152
22nd Jul 2003, 17:17
At lower elevations like Palm Springs the heat should not be a problem to flying, except for the usual problem of poor cabin ventilation on the ground. However, many of the more interesting sight-seeing trips are much higher (9000 feet+) and a thorough "hot and high" checkout is a good idea (maybe a condition of rental).

It is a very dry heat, which I love, but you must keep fluid intake up. I get through at least 4 litres of water a day, plus other soft drinks when visiting.

TG.

slim_slag
22nd Jul 2003, 21:55
Stik,

my log book shows 84 landings at Scottsdale in 8 peanut butter

Just been trawling through my log books to find I have 12.3 hours in Peanut Butter (ho ho!). It also appears that I have logged exactly ten landings per hour, which is a strange coincidence - until I remember that for the first few hours I had no clue what was really happening! The plane was so far ahead of me!

Budd says he doesn't log landings, but knows how many engines he has gone through, and works it out from there...

The original poster says he would prefer a warrior, and I have been trying to work out what a warrior has in common with an S2A. Not a great deal on the face of it, but then if you can learn to do a passable job at landing a Pitts, it should work wonders for your landings in a spam-can.

stiknruda
22nd Jul 2003, 22:04
!The original poster says he would prefer a warrior

that is possibly because he hasn't flown an S2A!

Last flew with Budd in '99 and have logged over 180hrs since then and none of them in a spam-can!

I can be almost evangelical about Pitts flying.:cool:

Stik

slim_slag
22nd Jul 2003, 22:41
You are very lucky stik, but I see you have your own plane to play with. There is a place in Shoreham that has a Pitts that I need to go chat with when I am in the UK more, they let you solo there, how foolish of them :)

So it seems we have decided that EchoKiloEcho has to stay away from the spam-cans. If he only wants to do a couple of hours dual I'd suggest something more like the SuperCubs to be found at Chandler Air Service. That will give a taste of the superior fun to be had with a taildragger. If only in the Valley for a short time I'd suggest a sightseeing trip up to Roosevelt Lake (at no higher than than 500ft AGL). There is an interesting Indian cliff dwelling ruin up there which you can buzz, but I didn't tell you that :)

Then find out how incredibly friendly and efficient the ATC folk are in the US and do a 'valley hop' which entails buzzing around the PHX class B doing "touch and go's" at the following class D airports. CHD-IWA-FFZ-DVT-GEU-GYR. There are some dirt strips and an uncontrolled airport or two as well. Should get them all in within an hour. I think GEU is being resurfaced right now, but should be back by August. A quick flight through the PHX class B midfield above the airport might also be interesting, and see if you can get away with a touch and go at PHX. They might let you do a full-stop-taxi-back but then you would end up being "Number 25 for departure" which is a bummer in the heat. PHX has about 50% more movements a day than LHR.

Plenty of things to do, and renting a warrior is not one of them :)

EchoKiloEcho
23rd Jul 2003, 15:43
slim_slag:
'Plenty of things to do, and renting a warrior is not one of them'

You're right, its boring, but I have limited time to fly there, I didn't plan to fly on this holiday, but thought I might just as well, but I should realy experience a cub, or something more exciting!

sticknruda:
'The original poster says he would prefer a warrior that is possibly because he hasn't flown an S2A'

I know any plane is more exciting than a spam-can! I recently flew a Cap10. I do agree. After that flight, any Cessna or Piper felt realy slow & boring!! I meant to ask if there were any flying clubs where I can rent PA28's because im not a Cessna fan.

Maybe I should try the Beechcraft Bonanza at Chandler Air Service!?:E :ooh:

Thats good advice! I'll have a look at whats available other than
:yuk: