PDA

View Full Version : Starting a charter operation

poetpilot
21st Jul 2003, 02:33
Could anyone point me at somehwre on the web where I can find some FAQs (and hopefully answers :p ) to some basic questions about organising charters/tours using hired small airliners (less than 20 seats)?

Basically, I need to find and navigate around the sort of statutory requirements and hurdles I need to get over if I want to advertise flights from A to B and use chartered small aircraft to run the flights. Stuff like ATOL, bonding, financial security etc.

The CAA website may well have the answers but its taking me a lot of time floundering through irrelevant stuff to unearth the salient points.

Ta in advance!

Genghis the Engineer
21st Jul 2003, 15:24
This is the sort of stuff that CAA assumes you'll know, and therefore doesn't publish.

There's a little loophole here however, CAA can't charge you anything until you actually apply to set up an approved company (which with an AOC is what you'll effectively be). Almost invariably the best thing to do is phone CAA (01293-567171), ask to be put through to the right department (I'd start with General Aviation Dept, GAD, and if they say what you're doing belongs in another depart they'll tell you who to talk to.) Politely ask for as much information as possible, then a chance to go over to Gatwick and talk to them about it. Make copious notes, and get as much information as possible before you ever apply for anything - that's when they start the meter running.

(Well it works in the design and certification sides that I work on, so I don't see why it shouldn't work for you too.)

G

poetpilot
21st Jul 2003, 15:54
Thanks for that, sounds like very good advice Genghis. The idea I'm working on (with a couple of others) is spawned by a possible opportunity we see in the market - but we're working backwards from the opportunity, so to speak, so we're all a bit green in this area at the moment. Initially, the idea would be to hire aircraft from a reputable operator to test the water and see if the opportunity is worth going for big time.