PDA

View Full Version : Quadrantals and education

Timothy
18th Jul 2003, 15:18
Ratt

I didn't want to contaminate the humour thread with a serious discussion, but from what I have seen of PPL training there are plenty of areas where, although there may be some theoretical training for the quizes, there will be no practical training whatsoever.

A member of my household will shortly complete his PPL, and we have agreed that we will spend several months with me sitting next to him, teaching him the skills he really needs, which he has never been trained for and which he is totally qualified to use.

This will include safe scud-running (school aircraft are not allow to fly cross-country if the cloudbase is less than 3000'), crossing controlled airspace, landing on farmers' strips, GPS and radio nav, pilotage, operating at regional airports (he has never been to an airfield with more than Information)....the list is endless. It will include flight levels, which he has not experienced in his PPL.

I will say (unintentionally arrogantly) that he is lucky to have me here to show him the real ropes, but a lot of newly qualified PPLs do not have, or indeed do not want, an experienced mentor. Some of these fly for years with considerable holes in their knowledge (though, in fairness, the substantial majority do put a lot of effort into self-improvement and want to get better and learn more every time they fly.)

W