PDA

View Full Version : Trip to lake district

Mak
17th Jul 2003, 01:56
I'm planning a trip to the lake district. It'll be my first long range cross-country and I can use all advice on where to go, which routes to take or avoid and where are the best places for a pit stop on the way.

Much thanks.

Mak

strafer
17th Jul 2003, 16:30
Mak,

You might want to put your starting point as well.

Spikeee
17th Jul 2003, 16:34
I've not been around there much at all but i'd make sure you have a current chart cos theres a danger area around Haysham (south of Morecambe) that wasnt there before.

Spike

Mak
18th Jul 2003, 00:53
Yes, the starting point might help... Denham, NW of london

salightning
18th Jul 2003, 05:13
Go straight up Windermere at 500 agl turn slight right at the top and go over Kirkstone pass inn at 500 agl, then hard left and south down Coniston! Did it a few weeks back on a Sunday so no RAF low level stuff, briliant.

long final
18th Jul 2003, 14:59
Could still do with some more info. Are you planning to stop or is it just a sightseeing tour?

A couple of points though. The nearest Airfield to the lakes is Cark (if you are talking South lakes such as Windermere). Its about 16 miles from Bowness, is mainly a para drop site but welcomes GA.

Fuel, Blackpool is convenient for your route, but the landing fee is a bit pricey for just a fuel stop. Nice to track low up the coast from there and see the sights.

Watch Heysham, 2000ft restriction I think.

Enjoy the views, pretty spectacular.

LF

slim_slag
18th Jul 2003, 15:18
If you went over the Kirkstone pass Inn you would end up at Ullswater. If you want to head to Coniston Water better to hang a left at the top of Windermere and navigate via the Drunken Duck Inn :)

ianhogg
18th Jul 2003, 16:35
up windermere over dunmail raise , then thirlmere ,derwent water next . Look right for keswick as you pole left up bassenthwate lake then at the far end bank right 90 roll level and call on 124.4 and we will put the kettle on at kirkbride for you,
PiP PiP
Ian H

Mak
18th Jul 2003, 17:48
Thank's all for the suggestions. It already leaves me with some ideas to plan on.

longfinal: I plan this for a weekend in Aug. Probably leave friday evening, around 0530 which leaves more than 3 hours to sunset (but I'd like to make this an easy flight). Then return Sunday. Sat for sightseeing.

Mak

Saab Dastard
19th Jul 2003, 03:55
Mak,

Don't overlook Barrow - Walney Island. Interesting field, 2 tarmac runways.

I did some gliding out of there a while back and stayed in the control tower building - Lakes Gliding Club, if I remember right.

There's also Carlisle, which is supposed to be a good GA friendly field.

If I were planning the flight, I'd go up via Gamston, Sherburn (not necessarily stopping there, but useful diversions), turn left at Harrogate towards the lakes. Avoids all the built-up area around Man/Liv etc.

A word of caution - the evenings do draw in pretty fast in August, don't be too ambitious if leaving at 17:30 from Denham. You may be in reasonable light at 3000', but when you descend to land it may suddenly seem a lot darker. Watch out for mist as well.

Have a good flight!

SD

dublinpilot
19th Jul 2003, 04:32
Ha, the sun sets there around 0830!!! Wow...that is early!!

Over here in Dublin it's only getting out of bed then :D

Sorry...only joking with ya, as I've really nothing useful to tell you, as I don't know the UK airspace at all :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy the trip though :)

dp

poetpilot
20th Jul 2003, 02:39
If you want to nav up[ the famed Low Level route (it's not as bad as some would have you think) why not fuel up your body & aeroplane at Barton before setting off for Kirkbride. Very reasonable landing fees, nice caff, friendly folk, albeit a bumpier runway than Denham.

Circuit Basher
21st Jul 2003, 15:20
Just a cautionary note about Carlisle - it is a nice friendly airfield with decent facilities and helpful ATC..... however, when I made a wx-related precautionary landing there in a C172 (on the way to the Sherburn fly in!), the landing fee was £17, which struck me as a bit on the steep side!