PDA

View Full Version : Luton Approach radio service

phnuff
14th Jul 2003, 22:22
I notced the thread on London Information radio service and was wondering if anyone else has observed the degradation of Luton Approach (129.55) since (I believe) the service was transfered to West Drayton. It kind of sounds like listening to Fab 208 Radio Luxemburg (that ages me!) used to.

Three Mile Final
15th Jul 2003, 21:52
AFAIK the approach moved to West Drayton a couple of years ago while I was still flying in and out of Luton (although Vintage ATCO would know better then me).

There wasn't anything wrong with the service then - so what are they doing wrong now ??

As I'm now Fairoaks based, it isn't a neck of the woods I frequent these days.

(I assume you are flying into Luton or transitting the zone not just noticing that they don't give a LARS any more).

TMF

phnuff
15th Jul 2003, 23:27
The service they give is as good as it ever has been, its just the quality of the transmissions is like comparing music on fm with music on am. One is clear and bright, the other is understandable, but lacking in the full spectrum.

Keef
15th Jul 2003, 23:36
Don't know (VintageATCO will), but when they were at Luton, was the audio fed straight into the transmitters (so with reasonably full bandwidth), and does it now come by landline to wherever the transmitters are? I doubt the radio equipment is at West Drayton.

phnuff
16th Jul 2003, 19:25
Would I be right in thinking VintageATCO is a gentlemen who still works at Luton and arranged the tower visits a few months back ?

down&out
16th Jul 2003, 20:12
Sorry for a slight diversion of thread, but I can't search at the moment:

I'm planning to fly between Luton/ Stansted this weekend. I know Luton don't offer LARS any more, but what help, if any, could I expect to get from them?

eg:

In VMC conditions at the weekend - a FIS?

In IMC conditions at the weekend - any sort of radar service?

Any experience or comments from actual controllers would be welcome.;)

Keef
17th Jul 2003, 07:23
phnuff - that's the fellow. One of life's good guys.

phnuff
17th Jul 2003, 17:54
that's the fellow. One of life's good guys

Indeed!!

LowNSlow
17th Jul 2003, 19:05
As I'm based at Rush Green, I use Luton Approach every time I fly. I find it is VERY sensitive to temperature and aircraft position when at low level (typically 1,000' on the LTN QNH) after take off. On a hot humid day, I can only receive them when flying N-S whereas on a cold, crisp day they are usually crystal clear. Once I'm cleared to 1,500' I can receive and transmit OK. This was never an issue when Approach was actually at Luton.

I was orbitting Hatfield one murky day with the cloud base keeping me below 1,500' and I had to resort to calling Luton Radar as I couldn't raise Approach. The chaps there were VERY helpful and got my Zone entry clearance sorted PDQ.

As you can guess, I regard the move to West Drayton as a retrograde step

phnuff
18th Jul 2003, 06:59
As you can guess, I regard the move to West Drayton as a retrograde step

Indeed. I have huge respect for the guys at Luton as they have guided me through all of my flying adventure - I started there and will probably finish (by choice I hope), there. The audio quality has gone down the tubes though !!

Thrifty van Rental
18th Jul 2003, 21:42
I was once told that the actual broadcast frequency lies behind the problem at Luton and Essex Radar.

I am told that the Luton Approach signal actually eminates from a number of NATS transmitters in parallel. Of course, if they all broadcast on the same frequency, the problem might exist of the signal being disrupted by interference. As consequence, Luton is actually broadcast on 129.55xx where xx is a very small increment, different for each transmitter. So, when you tune your radio to 129.55, you are not actually getting the pure signal.

I heard this in a bar from a fellow pilot who flies into Luton a lot, so don't quote me

TvR

gatman
19th Jul 2003, 22:07
Down&out

Check your PM's and enjoy the flight , it looks like a good day for it!

down&out
21st Jul 2003, 21:41
Thanks Gatman,

I have sent you a PM reply - I hope you have got it (it seems to have disappeared from my sent list)

D&O;)

BlueRobin
21st Jul 2003, 22:24
On a tower visit, (non-ppune) Vintage ATCO told me that the Approach freq. is worked from W Drayton or Swanwick. Can't remember which.

AFAIR, the only ATCO radio presence on-site if Tower and Ground.