PDA

View Full Version : PPL Confuser

Spikeee
14th Jul 2003, 05:52
hi,

From reading another thread this could be of some relevance...

I got the PPL confuser after my 'air law' exam where i just passed with 77%. After that i got the confuser where i got 90%+ on all my exams; so it is invaluable.

But on my 'planning and performance' exam the question:

Why is full flap selected during the approach and landing phase of a flight?

A: The safe flying speed os omcreased and a flatter approach is achieved which improves vision.

B: the approach speed is reduced and a steeper approach path is flown which improves vision.

C: the approach speed is reduced and a flatter approach path is flown which improves vision.

The confuser has this down as C a flatter app' to improve vis' so when this question came up on the paper i thought great i've seen this before.

But when i got the paper marked that was the only question wrong, the papers answer was a steeper app' to improve vis'.

Its question 14. of the confuser. (page 185)

I should have noticed but i trusted the book, just something to look out for.

Spike

BEagle
14th Jul 2003, 06:05
But do you understand why your answer was wrong? The Examiner is required to explain it to you - which is more than can be said for the CPL/ATPL exams which are never debriefed....

Spikeee
14th Jul 2003, 06:14
Yep, when he went through it with me and I realised that i should have noticed myself from the difference between standard full flap landings and flapless.

I was just pointing it out incase anyone who hasnt done that exam yet comes across it or who is revising the section.

Spike

Evo
14th Jul 2003, 15:03
I remember that one - I knew the confuser was wrong, knew why it was wrong but still picked it when it came up in the bl**dy exam :rolleyes: ISTR that there are a few other errors in the Confuser.

Never knew I was supposed to get a debrief, BEagle. Never got anything other than a mark and a bill :(

RichyRich
14th Jul 2003, 18:33
Caught me out too, and I wrote the paper twice (as 'we' manged to misplace the first). Was certainly asked in the second but I can't recall if it was there in the first.

And I got the debrief afterwards.

And I had just finished a lesson in which we did glide approaches, certainly steepining (is that a word?) the approach with full flap. Aggghhhh.

RR

Thumpango
14th Jul 2003, 20:04
I fell for this one too, even after all the full flap approaches I have done! spoilt what otherwise would have been 100% pass.
I generally found the Confuser extremely helpful with all the exams, only discovered it after I had already taken Air-Law. Basically, I found that if you could get a high score with the Confuser questions the Exam would be no problem.

oli carley
14th Jul 2003, 20:34
its a fantastic book though, its just like having a set of answers in the exam

High Wing Drifter
14th Jul 2003, 22:05
In addition there are answers in the confuser (how apt!) that are correct where the Thom book(s) are wrong. Once example is the calculation of cloud bases.

Personally, it is probably a good thing. If you read both you should pick up on the strange ones and form an opinion based on understanding rather than rote.

However, saying that and rather embarrassingly, I got the full flap one wrong even after I noticed the confuser was wrong! The reason being I reasoned it was one of those strange exam questions where the answer is the one expected, not necessarily the real-world one. Stoopid huh?