PDA

View Full Version : Radio

AirAlfa
14th Jul 2003, 05:47
Hello all,
I live in Montreal. Is that possible to listen pilot's radio? I have Hallicrafters SX-62A receiver. Is there someone who know's this unit has a manual? I just found that in my fathers garage, it has a speaker and main unit. And i don't know how to use it.

Maybe there are other ways to listen pilots radio, of cource i know that it isn't a kitchen radio. If someone of you know some good unit, not very expensive, just give to know ;)

chiglet
15th Jul 2003, 03:24
AA,
Have a look on the Internet, or even FlightSim2002 for Montreal/CYYZ this will list all the freqs you need to know
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

brimstone
15th Jul 2003, 04:46
Hi AirAlfa - You won`t be able to receive VHF aircraft and ATC transmissions on your Hallicrafters SX-62A as you need a band which contains frequencies between 118 and 136 mHz or m/c (which means megacycles an old fashioned term for megaHertz) as it says on your radio. Your VHF band only goes up to 108 mHz according to the picture of it I have seen, which is the band for normal radio station broadcasts.

Your radio has the capability of receiving HF radio transmissions which are used by aircraft, for example, when crossing the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, but in order to hear them your radio needs SSB or single-side-band capability and from the picture I saw I could not tell if it had.

You can get a manual for that radio for about $8 US if you search the internet.

If you want to find out more about listening to ATC transmissions and getting a suitable receiver just do a search on this website as the subject has come up several times.

Hope this helps

:ok: :ok:

15th Jul 2003, 16:56
Chiglet; isn't CYYZ Toronto?

Spitoon
16th Jul 2003, 02:03
AA, IIRC, even if you find a VHF radio that goes up into the 130 MHzs (or modify one to), aircraft comms use amplitude modulation rather than the frequency modulation used for broadcast radio services.

If you want to listen to aircraft you might be best picking up a dedicated airband radio - certainly in the UK a basic one is not expensive.

chiglet
16th Jul 2003, 04:12
Hangs head in shame....:* :8 ......I was knadjered, and had had a sherry, but no excuse:mad:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy