PDA

View Full Version : UAV in Tofino

noflow
14th Jul 2003, 02:31
While spending my vacation in Tofino B.C. I noticed a grey UAV operating low level over Pac Rim Park. To add to the intrigue I noticed a temporary building out by the airport flying an Israeli flag. There were signs of the Canuck military by the Tofino airfield as well. Is there some sort of UAV programme based in Tofino??

On an unrelated note the west coast of Vancouver Island is as beautiful as ever and the people out there are wonderful.

PaperTiger
14th Jul 2003, 03:16
My guess would be a movie shoot. Did you recognize anyone perchance ?

noflow
14th Jul 2003, 04:42
Noone mentioned anything about a movie shoot but it's possible that someone could use a UAV to do some filming of the scenery. When I was out by the airport there was definitely no sign of a film production. I've been around areas during a movie filming and it's pretty obvious.

Anyone else?

604guy
14th Jul 2003, 10:17
Canadian DND is doing a trial on some of those things presently. Been talked about on the media.

noflow
15th Jul 2003, 05:39
That makes sense. I wonder if it's an Israeli made UAV. I was kind of surprised to see their flag flying at Tofino airport. I wonder if anyone has complained about the UAV operating over the Pacific Rim Park? It was a bit of a surprise to hear the thing buzzing over the Schooner Beach parking lot.

While we were in Tofino we went up for a hop in one of Tofino Airline's float equipped Beavers. The scenery is unbelievable and the floatplane ride reinforced my desire for a seaplane rating.

PaperTiger
15th Jul 2003, 06:54
Finally caught up with the weekend news, here's (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030711.wpilot0711/BNStory/National/) a link to the Globe story. Yes, it is an Israeli model.

pigboat
15th Jul 2003, 09:05
Back in the early 80's we had the avionics in our G1 replaced by a company in Toronto. At the time, the same company was building a prototype pilotless surveillance aircraft for the Israeli Defence Forces. Go figure.

noflow
15th Jul 2003, 12:58
PaperTiger,
Thanks for solving the mystery. I can confirm that the UAV flew successfully. It might have scared a few tourists though.

I enjoy the Globe and Mail newspaper. I used to read it when I had YVR layovers. Wonderful place.