View Full Version : ICAO to JAA ATPL

goranb
13th Jul 2003, 17:11
I want to do an JAA ATPL license. At the moment I'm B737efis F/O at East European flag carrier with ICAO ATPL and total of 4000hrs (almost all on B737). I also have college degree (2 years) in aeronautics. I've heard about assessment and crediting on experience but I would like to know if anybody had done it already. Any advice would be appreciated. Ofcourse I'd be interested at minimum time/cost course.

Thanks

swish266
21st Jul 2003, 22:18
Send copies from all your paperwork with a check for 70 GBP to CAA at Gatwick for assesment.
They will advise.
Check the amount first on their site.
Jiveli

redsnail
22nd Jul 2003, 08:56
goranb,
Do you have 1500 hours in command of 30+tonne aircraft on primarily international routes or similar?
If not,
then you have to do the 14 JAR exams (~£800)
Abbreviated theory course (£1-2,000 depending)
Time? distance learning is the quickest I think (you don't have to do the min times). Plan 2-3 months.
Medical (~£200)
CAA observed LST (sim) on (let's say) the 737 because that's what you got the time on. (~£500/hr x ?? . CAA examiner ~£600)

If you do, then you can do the abridged UK ATPL.
More info can be found on both in the LASORS section on the CAA SRG (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp) website.

These are approximations for the prices as they do change.
Sim I can't give an accurate estimate because I don't know how much work you'll need to get to the standard required for the CAA. The flight test will be about 3 hours long.
If you have the appropriate command time then you only need to knock off 2 exams. Note, the UK lic will only let you fly G-reg aircraft.

Jagbag
22nd Jul 2003, 15:49
Just to add to Redsnail, since I just went thru' the mill.

Each exam is GBP 52x14
FRTO(L) Practical is GBP 60 (After clearing VFR and IFR commns)
Examiner Charge is GBP 607
Simulator charge is $500/hr (ATR Sim)

Hope this helps- cheers!

:ok:

goranb
8th Aug 2003, 14:36
Thanks all of you guys for your replies.

I was hoping to get into 1500hrs command on B737 group so that I can do only 2 exams. Problem is I'm not a Captain and almost all of my PIC (all on B737) is actually F/O. I know JAR recognizes half of F/O hours as PIC toward issue of ATPL but I don't know if CAA would accept this as PIC ( I log them as PICUS, with Captain's signature and everything) toward those 1500hrs needed for easy conversion.

Next question: why is that license Restricted to G- registered a/c. Would it still be restricted if I do all the exams? I need unrestricted JAA license and no school I contacted mentioned anything about restriction.

goranb

P.S.
My reply is a bit late but there was nobody replying for 10 days so I stopped checking.

redsnail
9th Aug 2003, 07:28
goranb,
No such luck. You must be sitting in the left hand seat for the command time to get away with only doing 2 exams.
The 2 exam ATPL is issued by the UK CAA only. Therefore only good for G-reg aircraft. For a full unrestricted ATPL you need to do the 14 exams and get the JAR ATPL.
I have heard a rumour that there will be a 2 exam JAR ATPL coming soon. Who will issue it and when it will be available I don't know. I dare say you'll need LHS command time.

Don't get excited folks, the 14 exams are here for a while. We are talking about the "abridged" ATPL for the jet jockey captains.

Mrokowski
2nd Sep 2003, 04:02
Hello goranb,
I made some research on this as well some time ago – UK solution is not cheap but well defined. The problem was there seems to be no other way easily available for the case. Maybe other countries? Maybe Czech CAA / CSA (with 737 sim) would help? I would like to share experience but I have no data yet.