PDA

View Full Version : IR training how important the Sim

jamup
12th Jul 2003, 21:05
Hi Iam about to finsh my CPL, I want to know how important the simulator to do the IR , because I have considered few schools, some schools offer half of the hrs in the AST 300 and some schools offer everythng on the aircraft, singles and the twins,,, but the cost is the same end of the day ,,,

mad_jock
12th Jul 2003, 22:27
Well there are quite a few points with the sim and also what plane you use for the training.

Some FNPT II schools you only get a small amount of flying time. But you do have a very sexy fun machine to play in.

But its more to do with what happens after you have passed your IR which all schools can get you through no matter what sim they use.

Under JAR ops to fly single pilot IFR you need 700 hours, 400 pic, 40 Multi and 100 IFR.

So what you really need to do is work out a method so that after you have finished training you have as much of those hours logged as possible so you can work air taxi if it becomes an option.

You don't want to have to pay to hour build the multi time so you want to get 40 hours multi time by the time you have finished your IR. 5 hours for MEP and say 2 for the IR skills test gives 33 hours needed somehow in the twin. So its well worth upgrading any single IFR training to twin just to get the hours in the book. I think it cost me an extra 300 quid to upgrade my single time to twin on my IR.

So if you want to keep the option open of air taxi work you need to get that twin time in your book and a max hours discount FNPT II course isn't going to help you. And after you have your IR even if the wx is CAVOK book out IFR until you have the 100hours IFR time.

MJ

Timothy
13th Jul 2003, 02:10
I am a great fan of full motion sims for emergency practice. I would go as far as to say that I learned about flying from sims, which changed my response to emergencies from hands flying around the cockpit and shouted checks, to cool, calm, collected appropriate responses to situations. I think that only the sim can do that for you.

However, I do not particularly rate procedural trainers as part of the initial IR. It doesn't feel the same, mainly due to the lack of motion, the needles don't behave the same (they work too well) and the training therefore doesn't transfer very well to reality (this all in my personal experience, others may have found differently.) If you can get flying for the price of the procedural trainer, go for it.

W

englishal
14th Jul 2003, 01:35
And after you have your IR even if the wx is CAVOK book out IFR until you have the 100hours IFR time.
Is it actual time in accordance with Instrument Flight Rules or Instrument time [simulated / actual] ? I only bother to log actual / simulated instrument though may often fly on an IFR flight plan in CAVOK [I may log in my logbook a note saying: IFR flight from XXXX to YYYY].

If it IS the case as you mention MJ, then can I go and fly around the UK in Class G "in accordance with IFR" but not on an IFR flight plan?

Cheers
EA:D

mad_jock
14th Jul 2003, 04:30
No doudt the CAA have a rule on it which they havn't published.

You don't need to be on a IFR flight plan to be IFR

But if you are above MSA flying using the quad rule you can fly IFR.

I must admit its not really entering into the spirt of things but it is legal. To cover you backside book out IFR and take a radar service.

MJ

IO540
15th Jul 2003, 00:15
mad_jock

Do you *have* to follow the quad rule if you are IFR? I know one should.

I normally do but occassionally ATC asks me to change to some other level (or altitude) and so long as they've got you on radar they don't seem to be at all concerned if you are following the rule.

mad_jock
15th Jul 2003, 00:25
Airmanship say's you should unless there is good reason why not.

And ATC stopping you from bumping into another aircraft seems a pretty good reason to me.

MJ

Timothy
15th Jul 2003, 00:27
The Rules of the Air Regulations 1996
Quadrantal rule and semi-circular rule
30.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), in order to comply with the Instrument Flight Rules, an aircraft when in level flight above 3000 feet above mean sea level or above the appropriate transition altitude, whichever is the higher, shall be flown at a level appropriate to its magnetic track, in accordance with the appropriate Table set forth in this rule. The level of flight shall be measured by an altimeter set:

(a) in the case of a flight over the United Kingdom, to a pressure setting of 1013.2 hectopascals; or

(b) in the case of any other flight, according to the system published by the competent authority in relation to the area over which the aircraft is flying.

(2) An aircraft may be flown at a level other than the level required by paragraph (1) if it is flying in conformity with instructions given by an air traffic control unit or in accordance with notified en-route holding patterns or in accordance with holding procedures notified in relation to an aerodrome.

W