PDA

View Full Version : ANR headsets....again

skyfarmer
12th Jul 2003, 15:38
Before I get told to search the forums first, already done that, and read the posts. Plus read all manufacturers blurb etc.

Have been instructing now for about 4 months, and was hoping to upgrade my 1996 model DC 13.4 ANR set with a new ANR set, if I know there is going to be an improvement. Loads of new sets available now, newer improved circuitry etc.

So to the question....

Has anyone out there any experience with sets such as BOSE X, Lightspeed Thirty 3G, Pilot 17-79, Telex Stratus Digital, or other makes? The ones listed above are on my shortlist at present.

What I am looking for is direct comparisions between the sets, from people with experience of them.

I know the BOSE set is going to cost me more than a months salary, but if they do the job, and safeguard the medical, then it has to be worth it.

Cheers

Neil

FlyingFowl
12th Jul 2003, 21:41
Have you considered adding the electrics to your existing DC13.4. I converted my 1992's about four years ago well worth the upgrade.

ps
keep an eye on the mixture control if you instruct with them as there is no noise clue if your student decides to starve the engine of fuel. :ok:

skyfarmer
13th Jul 2003, 14:48
I have 2 DC headsets, one is factory ANR 13.4 set from about 1996, and the other set a standard 13.4 set.

I could add the Adams electronics set to the non ANR set, or see if DC do a factory upgrade of my old ANR set to the new electronics.

As luck would have it, a chap at the club yesterday came in with a Bose X headset, so i took it up on my next lesson and did direct comparison with the DC ANR set. The student also tried the three different sets (DC Passive 13.4, DC ANR 13.4 and BoseX).

There is not much difference between the ANR sets. The Bose IS quieter than DC ANR, but not by enough to warrant chucking the DC's. DC's do have a definite background hiss at higher frequencies.

The student said the clarity of my voice through the Bose mic was improved over the DC mike, and I could notice a definite improvement to his clarity when I had the Bose on and he was using the DC sets.

I would be worried about build quality /strength of the Bose set though. They seem like a cheap plastic jap toy in comparison to a set of DC 's. The mike boom seems very flimsy where it fits to the headset, get it caught once on shoulder strap and it would probably be ripped clean out of headset.

They are very comfortable and light though, you almost forget they are on.

Our club has recently purchased 16 new sets of Peltor 8006's.

Do not let anyone else make the same mistake, they are F****ing awful. As a pair of them, (left and right seat) the audio is bad enough, the mike noise from them is horrendous

I let all my students use my spare DC 13.4's once they get themselves a set of earcovers and mike sock, so I do not have to listen to the noise from the peltors.

Squawk7777
16th Jul 2003, 13:38
I have two: Bose X and the Telex ANR 1D. The Bose is probably the better one, not by much though. The reason I didn't go straight to the X was the $400 difference, the fact that the ANR unit of the Telex can be powered by 4AA and/or a cigar lighter input. The Bose is also a bit lighter than the 1D.

I have used headsets with electronic add-ons, but am not really impressed. It depends how much your hearing is worth...

7 7 7 7

skyfarmer
16th Jul 2003, 14:18
Thanks,
Have not come across the Telex 1 D, and have only seen adverts for the 50 D. Have you come across the 50 D and if so, is it greatly improved on the 1D ?

Heliman01
16th Jul 2003, 16:37
Hi

I have used the DC anr and have the Bose x, and price aside i found the Bose to give better Active noise cancelling, but not very good at passive, so always have a spare battery with you, then you shouldnt have a problem ( i get about 20 hours use out of each alkaline battery). The Bose anr works mainly on the lower frequencies, cutting out alot of the gearbox and blade noise, which is the most damaging range to the ears, you still hear a large % of the turbine high pitch which i am informed is not so damaging !

The Bose is very light and comfortable, even after 6 hours in the seat of a 332 Super Puma. I found myself not as fatigued with the Bose, also overall RT is very clear, and i find i dont have to have the radios on full blast, which will benefit my medical in years to come.

The durability maybe a little compromised as the ear cups are made of plastic, but this makes them light weight and comfortable, the DC were very heavy. As soon as i have finished with my Bose after each flight i put them back in there protective case,and not left in the ops room to get dropped.

After service on Bose is second to none as i have found out, which was the deciding factor for me. I have now done 1400 hours flying with the Bose X, and as you can tell i am very pleased with it.

One final thought for you, that might persuade you to part with the cash is that the price of a minature digital hearing aid for those with partial hearing ( or an ex Super Puma driver ) is around a thousand pound !