PDA

View Full Version : A320 descent with power+spoilers together

LEM
12th Jul 2003, 14:18
Paxing yesterday on a A320, during the approach in good weather I was surprised to notice they kept spoilers extended after having increased the power, for about a minute and a half.

I don't think they forgot to retract them (or maybe, who knows?).

Has that to deal with managed speed and power?

Thanks!:confused:

Hand Solo
12th Jul 2003, 21:07
Nah if the speedbrakes were still out its probably because they forgot to retract them or just got their modes confused. There's any number of reasons that could have happened, but in my experience its usually because you're trying to expedite a descent, or descend and decelerate, then you just get distracted as you level off and forget to stow them. Then you sit there thinking "whats that rumbling?".

mb339
13th Jul 2003, 00:18
In this case the ECAM should have shown SPD BRAKE message flashing green to warn the pilot about that.

Iceman49
13th Jul 2003, 04:42
On our aircraft the speed brake msg, flashes amber...whenever thrust is above idle, and the speed brakes are deployed.

mb339
13th Jul 2003, 06:50
Iceman49, you are right, it was my mistake.

Burger Thing
13th Jul 2003, 09:35
I don't know about the Airbus, but talking about the 737, it could be that the Crew had to keep the throttles open, in order to keep the oil temperature within limitation. If ATC gives you a speed restriction at the same time, the result would be a decend with power and speedbrakes in flight detent. :8

Phoenix_X
13th Jul 2003, 19:37
Burger, just out of interest, what 737 is that, in what conditions? I've never had to do that in the -300 or -700, so just curious.

Golden Parrot
13th Jul 2003, 20:11
They could have had the speedbrakes out and selected config 1 (flaps 1) which automatically increases idle thrust to approach idle. From the cabin it may sound like an increase in thrust.

LEM
13th Jul 2003, 22:22
All right! Being familiar with the approach in ****, my feeling tells me that's exactly what happened, Golden Parrot!
Shukran! :ok:

ps: I'm just as curious as Phenix about minimum oil temp on the 737!
LEM

Burger Thing
14th Jul 2003, 11:37
Phoenix and LEM That was on the -200. On one particular aircraft we had to descend virtually on every flight with power to keep the oil temp below limitations.

Another scenario would be a descend into icing conditions. Are there any N1 limitations on the Airbus when using Engine Anit-Ice?

Chryse
14th Jul 2003, 13:54
Burger Thing you are absolutely correct. At times, I have also seen that on the 200 when you pulled the thrust levers back the cabin would start to climb. This was quickly rectified by adding a little thrust to help facilitate cabin descent.

My two pennies worth...

Chryse

NigelOnDraft
14th Jul 2003, 15:26
<<Are there any N1 limitations on the Airbus when using Engine Anit-Ice?>>
Not the pilots need to observe, but as with the Flaps 1 discussed above, selecting EAI will cause idle to increase. Again, maybe what was noticed here....

NoD

crackerjack
17th Jul 2003, 00:37
Just a thought but I remember a little while ago, a friend of mine at a uk charter airline mentioned that they were being monitored on arrival fuel. To avoid uneccesary aggro, if it looked like they were going to land with more than say 4t, they would use power with speedbrake to burn the excess.

Perhaps he was winding me up but it did ring true.

LEM
17th Jul 2003, 01:19
Don't you think the FDR is being monitored as well by people like that?;)

crackerjack
17th Jul 2003, 01:44
I guess so, in any event the practice of monitoring arrival fuel is silly and I believe it has been stopped.

Maxrev
17th Jul 2003, 22:18
Yes arrival fuel might have been a cause in the past but now is unlikely.

A mate of mine used to do it all the time, so he said.
It always struck me as a bit daft that the 'Bus would have all the gismos to save fuel and descend and climb at optimum economy rates, only for the crew to go stick out the 'brakes in the descent to burn it off to prevent any aggro at the other end.

Self defeating I would say!