PDA

View Full Version : Twin at LHR this morning?

boeingbus2002
11th Jul 2003, 21:37
Just a quick question,
I saw a light twin orbiting on the 27L Approach to Heathrow at 5.30am this morning (About 3 miles). Just curious as to what it was. I know sometimes there is a King Air which does Instrument testing at night..but surely not at this time when there are so inbound flights!
Cheers

Gonzo
11th Jul 2003, 22:00
Sometimes we get a Navajo or similar operating hospital flights early in the morning, could have been that.

Ballast
11th Jul 2003, 22:10
Capital FM Flying Eye (Traffic reports)???

Although 5.30 is a trifle early for this

Bluebaron
11th Jul 2003, 23:40
might be a coincidence but LHR closed a runway this morning, one hell of a back log in the sky at around 0830.

Basil
12th Jul 2003, 00:27
Could anyone 'in the know' comment on the reason for runway closure?

Pilot Pete
12th Jul 2003, 01:18
More than likely an ambulance flight. I regularly used to operate into EGLL in light Cessna twins.........used to get the spottong contingent awfully hot under the collar with excitement!

Managed to arrange a runway change during rush hour once......and I don't just mean onto the T/O runway, I mean the opposite end! Well done EGLL and LATCC.:ok:

PP

foxmoth
12th Jul 2003, 04:00
I departed LGW early this AM and on the London frequency ATC were talking then about someone with a Hydraulic problem that might close a runway at LHR and cause delays.

boeingbus2002
12th Jul 2003, 06:15
Dont think it was an Ambulance/ Medical flight as it was orbiting for several minutes, directly on the approach path for 27L. Didnt see/hear any other traffic though.
Anyway...cant have been anything major or there would have been more on here!

Larfin' Boy
12th Jul 2003, 08:51
It was a Seneca from Stapleford on an aerial photography flight taking pictures of some new industrial estate in Hounslow.

Only time of day that they would let him do it!!! He had to vacate the area by 05:30 local.

Bear 555
14th Jul 2003, 17:00
'I know sometimes there is a King Air which does Instrument testing at night'

Calibration for various Navaids is done by :-http://www.flightprecision.co.uk/

Usually King Air but occasionally Cessna 441 all painted in a very spiffing blue scheme...

Bear 555