PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the US Border - pls help!

Finals19
9th Jul 2003, 11:30
Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this issue?

I am looking to make my first trip into the US in a C reg 172. I have heard that it can be a bit of a nightmare due to the INS and US customs. What do they actually check when they arrive? Does anyone know if it is necessary to be a RESIDENT of Canada in order to lawfully take the a/c over there, since I am a Canadian who is currently a non resident?

Also, a friend of mine who is out in BC and is English (but is resident) has been told in order for him to take a C reg a/c into the US (i.e 172) as PIC, he will need a US B2 visa..?

Know this a bit of a technical issue..but any ideas or pointers to further information would be much appreciated!

Can I assume that they US guys just check your passport and the a/c docs? If that is the case then there should be no problems with a Canadian passport right?

Thanks for any leads / help!:ok:

Cyclic Hotline
9th Jul 2003, 12:25
AvWeb Guide to crossing the border (http://www.avweb.com/news/places/183649-1.html)

There should be no difficulty if it is a pleasure trip, as opposed to business or work.

If you are a naturalized citizen or legal resident, you will need all your paperwork from country of origin; ie: Passport, Birth Certificate, etc.

US Customs Guide for Private Flyers (http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/ImageCache/cgov/content/publications/private_5fflyers_2edoc/v2/private_5fflyers.doc)

Best bet - Call the Port of Entry (http://www2.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/gpfapda1.htm) you intend to use and ask them directly.

Finals19
9th Jul 2003, 14:11
Thanks cyclic - info very helpful - will get on it right away!

604guy
9th Jul 2003, 21:22
We go into the USA constantly as a corporate flight department. Have your Canadian passport(s), all a/c docs in order, prior notice to US customs at your port of entry and you should have no problems. We have much more hassle in dealing with the CANPASS folks to come back home.

604guy

MarkD
9th Jul 2003, 23:42
Finals19

hope you're a Canadian citizen born in Canada, unlike the poor sods born in Syria who were slung off to Damascus by the US and are being refused consular access because they are also Syrian!

Perm Res immigrants are getting a lot more grief these days which is why I will be applying for my citizenship ASAP from landing, but if you are a Canadian born citizen how does the US know if you're lately resident in Canada?

You should be fine.

SpinSpinSugar
10th Jul 2003, 21:37
With regard to your Brit friend in BC - if still on a UK passport and without a specific visa, he must get one of them visitors green card whatsits in his passport BEFORE attempting to clear US customs in an aircraft. With one of those in place and advance notice, there's no problem with cross border pleasure trips for UK nationals. Without, there's all sorts of issues - I had an interesting wrangle last year myself which involved a bit of to'ing and fro'ing over the border in a 172 between Vancouver and Bellingham.

They'll issue these at land crossings but not at airports, so if he's intending flying from Vancouver a quick drive down to the Peace Arch and back would be advantageous before hand, it doesn't take long.

Despite our problems, we found Bellingham customs to be very friendly and helpful, unlike their immigration brethren at the land crossing (the airport chaps were keen to point out the distinctions between CUSTOMS and IMMIGRATION staff - "We are NOT the same!")

Cheers,

SSS

mstram
11th Jul 2003, 23:35
I flew a 172 into KBUF from CNC3 last summer, to buy some personal items.

No problems at all. Customs guy was very nice. Just phone ahead couple of hours before you leave. I don't have a passport, just showed my birth certificate, drivers license.

I called a couple of times to revise my E.T.A., no problem.

You'll need a "sticker". the plane I used already had one, otherwise you'll have to pay for it down there . 25$ U.S. ??????? I think.

Coming back into Canada, no problems either. Showed my purchase to Customs' guy, phoned a 1-800 number to give them a "claim number" that the Customs guy had given me, and that was it.

Mike