PDA

View Full Version : Moody Glasgow ATC

Standard Entry
3rd Jul 2003, 05:34
Yo,

I do a fair bit of flying VFR and IFR and l know you guys at PF are very good but there is a bloke and a woman on there who are extremely moody.

Encountered the woman yesterday on approach whilst on my travels and she snapped at some wee put put flying around looking for a FIS, its not the first time l have heard her get up tight with pilots either. Now l appreciate there is a lot more to your job than just what you hear on the RT with coordination and what not but common courtesy doesnt go out the window every now and then.

She wasnt rude to me as l skirted the zone yesterday but was listening in on the way back and there was another woman on approach, she was excellent quite the thing having a laugh with the pilots and l thought good on ya girl why cant there be more like that!!

I am not on a witch hunt btw, the bloke can be fairly miserable to lights or IFR traffic who havent been into PF before, l just want them to know you dont need to bite peoples head off all the time and sound so aggressive, just chill.

Tar
SE

p.s. will reiterate most of you guys at pf are very good

Bright-Ling
3rd Jul 2003, 05:51
I can only apologise for my fellow NATS colleagues.

Obviously most broads I know have perm PMT.

Shame it has rubbed off to the guy!

Seriously - though - there are complete to$$ers at every unit. Usually grouped together........!

3rd Jul 2003, 14:27
Next time I suggest you contact Manager ATC Glasgow and ask for the R/T tape to be replayed with a view to getting an assessment of the service provided. If you get no joy locally then post something here ......the ATC Inspectorate may be interested. This sort of thing gives us all a bad name.

normally left blank
3rd Jul 2003, 15:15
There is - at least - one in every "family", as you say. Making sure that "the people" has heard "His Masters Voice" at the end of the day.

To controller colleagues: Try to fly as much as possible (in the cockpit!) Wonderful eyeopener to see it from the other side;)

There is a safety aspect also. Lost VFR? Do you call the Olympian gods in xx ATC? No, I'll sort this out by myself - maybe.

Try it with a smile
:D

Best regards

radar707
4th Jul 2003, 04:42
Standard, what time was this?

I'll mention it to the controlers concerend, perhaps they weren't even aware they were doing it.

I hope that this experience (whilst not directly involving you) hasn't discouraged you from calling 119.1 when you're in the area, we (and I speak for the majority of PF controllers) would prefer to talk to you and know you're there than just have you skirt the zone without a call, at least that way we can help you out.

Sometimes when we're busy and the old story of the student pilot on Navex giving you his life history and then getting it all wrong because of nerves causes problems, but any sort of shortness or rudeness on the RT is unforgivable and to my mind not the sort of service you should expect from Glasgow.

4th Jul 2003, 04:51
....or if PF are rude to you again, do not hesitate to call Scotland's main airport on 121.2 where you're assured of a great service, 24/7!

:) :)

Standard Entry
4th Jul 2003, 06:56
Radar707,

Hi there, it was around 5pm and 630pm, l couldnt quite place the womans accent it sounded like a bit of everywhere but scottish in there somewhere!!!!!

It certainly hasn't discouraged me from calling its just l cant be arsed talking to atco's when they get shirty and l can see why students get up tight, l feel it can make them clam up even more when faced with the big bad controller rather than the nice pleasant relaxed controller but l do understand what you mean by the guy on a navex telling you his life story, sometimes l also think there is not enough training or preperation given to these guys before flying in a busy CTZ.

Tar
SE

EGPFlyer
4th Jul 2003, 08:55
As radar707 said, its better to call if outside the zone than not, even if its just to say that you are there! The guys and gals in the(notso) big blue tower have a tough time, especially during peak times (such as the time when Standard Entry saw this incident). Its not uncommon to have 6 or 7 aircraft on approach therefore blabbering on about inside leg measurements and shoe size should be avoided..its common sense!

radar707,

i was wondering how often you guys have a flight in one of the club a/c? I'm pretty sure it would benefit all! I reckon its about time for another tower visit as well :)

radar707
5th Jul 2003, 21:55
Flyer, we don't, only those that are members of the club get up in them, although there are opportunities when the guys want to build a few hours!!!

Maybe a liason visit and a trip up would be useful and could be included as part of the unit training programme.

And as u know, ur more than welcomne to come and pay us a visit anytime you like :D

EGPFlyer
6th Jul 2003, 01:46
Radar707, already been up matey but i reckon i'm overdue a visit.....the only problem is that it reminds me of my old school and I get nightmares :)

cortilla
8th Jul 2003, 21:41
You havn't seen moody until you've been to elstree. I get the feeling the guy hates pilots. It's not nicknamed the deathstar for no reason (by some pilots anyway). And the nimbys are the worst i've ever seen. I'll admit i incurred the wrath of the fiso there when i forgot to turn for noise abatement, but that's because i was distracted by a dodgy indicator for my landing gear.

9th Jul 2003, 00:03
Is he still coming out with things like "the aerodrome authority instructs you to go around!!"??

If they're that arsed, why not provide ATC? It's certainly busy enough to warrant a service during the summer.