PDA

View Full Version : New Logbook

juswonnafly
2nd Jul 2003, 23:57
I need to buy a new logbook. My current one is full and also very basic (ppl style).

Does anyone recommend a particular make/style? It would be nice to have a column for instructing and also a column for recording SNY type flights.

Whilst I'm about it, any software based logbooks you would recommend?

Many thanks

JWF

FormationFlyer
5th Jul 2003, 16:02
For paper logbooks I recommend the CAA CAP407 or the Jeppesen Europen or Pooleys JAR-FCL log books - they are all quite big and have a lot of columns.

Personally I use Jeppesen logbooks.

For SNY flying I suggest buying a separate simple 'ppl' style logbook and keep real flying from SNY separate.

For the best option I also keep my logbooks on computer using Jeppesen FliteLog for Windows....quite superb - I have added loads of columns and its now column city :) If I print it out it runs to 6 A4 landscape pages wide :) Lots of columns - enough that any CAA form is a doddle to fill in :cool:

Mark 1
7th Jul 2003, 20:26
I have the "JAA compliant" Pooley's one.

The main thing that I dislike about it is the tiny columns for departure and destination aerodromes, only room for a 4 letter ICAO code.

If you fly a lot from unlicensed fields or like to put the name rather than the code, then you need to practise your micro-handwriting.

juswonnafly
8th Jul 2003, 14:13
FF and M1,

Thank you both for your replies, I had expected a few more, still, hey ho!

JWF

BEagle
8th Jul 2003, 18:27
CAP 407 is probably all you need. Transair also do a leather binder for it.

Just put your SNY time in the remarks column.

juswonnafly
28th Jul 2003, 01:32
Well I have just bought a Pooleys JAR-FCL logbook (the big fat one) and I am very surprised to discover that there is no way of totalling multi or single time separately from each other. Yes there is a 'tick box' style column for SE or ME but no separate totals!!

Call me old fasioned but prospective employers are still concerned about 'multi' time.

How do you deal with it?

(at least in my old ppl style book I could do it)

Cheers

JWF

BigEndBob
28th Jul 2003, 05:40
Most of the logbooks are rubbish, just use a basic afe or pooleys.
Write in remarks column if there is anything special about a flight. For instructing these books hold about 500-600 hours flying, so are around long enough not to fall apart, fit in a small pocket if required and not to much info. is lost if it gets nicked!
And when you,ve got a few they make good door stops.

sickBocks
29th Jul 2003, 23:51
JWF - Snap!

I use the box in the bottom left - bit of a ballache but gets the point across.

jsf
6th Aug 2003, 06:12
jwf

So you wouldn't get that one again then?:D

Are you still logging on your palm as well?

jsf