PDA

View Full Version : Best ATC Service........

air_rusty
30th Jun 2003, 01:49
So, let's discuss. Who provides the best ATC service, and why?

FooFighter
30th Jun 2003, 03:10
The Germans...they are always kind (usually) and I get the most short cuts from them :p

Short Approach?
30th Jun 2003, 04:47
Rusty!

Let me get this just right.

You want atco's to discuss who the best atco's are? L!

:yuk:

Hansard
30th Jun 2003, 04:56
Cottesmore Zone on 130.2......................their professionalism never slips despite being tried to the limit at times by a constant stream of civilian traffic, most of it students in light aircraft.

Point Seven
30th Jun 2003, 06:38
Thames Radio - providing their own unique brand of laid back grooves and AIRPROXes.

P7

AlanM
30th Jun 2003, 06:48
P7

Can't believe you didn't stick up for Hansard and your farming mates from nearby Lincolnshire Sausage land.

Thanks anyway.

:ok:

Point Seven
30th Jun 2003, 06:50
Alan

1/ Cottesmore IS NOT in Lincolnshire. It's Norfolk, I believe.

2/ I didn't mean you.

P7

AlanM
30th Jun 2003, 06:56
That's why I edited my post.

Isn't it in Northamptonshire anyway.....!!!

You didn't mean me. ******.

take it easy fella:D

Lon More
30th Jun 2003, 07:35
Alledgedly true

An American pilot announced on the freq. to Melbourne that this was his last commercial flight and that he wanted to congratulate the Oztrailians on providing the second best ATC Service in the world.
The obvious question, "Who's the best then," was met with the answer, "Anyone else.":* :*
------------------------------------------------------------------
men who play motorcycle polo have the biggest balls

fweemer
30th Jun 2003, 12:07
You will have to go a long way to beat Scatsta's service.... mind you, Scatsta is a long way from anywhere else :ok:

Hansard
30th Jun 2003, 14:04
I think Cottesmore is in Rutland, very near to the Lincolnshire border............but I might be wrong

Jerricho
30th Jun 2003, 15:06
The story Lon mentions rears it's head now and then. I have heard it being both Sydney and Melbourne, and it always makes me smile. Kinda reminds me of the Lighthouse/USS Enterprise (or what ever carrier it is this week) story.

Challenge here: was anybody actually there when it supposedly happened, or is it just another one of those excellent "I wasn't there, but I know somebody who was" thingies?

(Of course, we all know that P7 is the Second Best Controller in the world :} )

Lon More
30th Jun 2003, 16:54
Jerricho, that's why I wrote "alledgedly (sp?) true"
This thread rears it's head every now and again. As it anyone is going to say that their unit is bad!!! Everyone considers their unit the best.

Anyway we all (except impy) know that Maastricht UAC Deco Sectors are the dog's bits. <<VLG>> Ducking & Diving

Lon More, more than just an ATCO

Jerricho
30th Jun 2003, 17:15
Sorry Lon, wasn't trying start an argument. Sometimes (very rarely) there is an element of truth to these things. Heard a story one day about a jet taxiing past a tower in Australia, and the pilot knew some of the guys in the tower. As they went past, there were some rude gesticulations made at the pilot. Of course, the pilot pointed out to those on the left of the jet that if they looked out, they could see ATC's finest wishing them well.

Funny thing about this one is when I heard the story, I knew the end before it finished, cause my old man was in the tower when it happened.

But you're right though. Could have been a little more thought into the topic. Although, if it's ATC service we're talking about, the one EGLL was forced to provide last weekend could be described as lacking.......lacking in staff that is (but that's a rant in another thread, sorry again!)

Lon More
30th Jun 2003, 17:28
Jerricho, No Problem, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Re your story, one of the instructors at Bournemouth told a similar story, but his was related to the runway control caravan and a BEA DC3 at Northolt.

Showing my age

BTW It does sometimes seem to an outsider, however, that sector closing at LACC is done in a manner designed to cause a maximum em******ance factor.

Over+Out
30th Jun 2003, 17:55
The story I heard was the pilots name was a Capt Welford who unfortunately was killed in a car crash.

A/P Disc
30th Jun 2003, 18:13
American ATC is very good when there is bad weather about
but afwull closer to the big airports.The American slang is terrible.
Their descend/speed planning is atrocious:

xxx you'r on a left hand downwind 09 descend to 10000' ,
you've got 12 miles to run.Maintain 180 Kts. and cleared for the
visual.

Oh dear!!

Jerricho
30th Jun 2003, 18:20
A DC 3.......whass thaat? *wink*

I've been told Spanish ATC is very expeditious......if you're Spanish.

Golf Charlie Charlie
30th Jun 2003, 22:13
Hansard, you are right that Cottesmore is in Rutland. Or Leicestershire, if Rutland remains abolished, but I have a feeling they reinstated it, didn't they ?

vintage ATCO
1st Jul 2003, 01:18
Do you mean the Independent Republic of Rutland? :-)

Partly Achieved
1st Jul 2003, 01:38
Where Thames Radio then?:confused:

Gonzo
1st Jul 2003, 01:48
Partly, it's an affectionate/derogatory (delete as applicable) term for 'Thames Radar' which handles Approach radar services for Biggin and London City.

Point Seven
1st Jul 2003, 05:44
Jerricho

One N in Spanish, you muppet. And I'm still better than you.

Still waiting for the call on beers. Jets F is on board.

P7;)

lloyd christmas
1st Jul 2003, 06:09
Shouldn't there be one R in jerricho as well.

Jerricho
1st Jul 2003, 15:18
K.....I hear the SPANISH are better spellers than I am as well :\

And P7, I'll agree you're probably better at me at spelling, but that's about it! Phone call coming. Mr A.B. to be joining you in the tower may be keen a well for the Sunday.

You got 2 L's in your name, I want 2 R's.......retarded and rejected!

Short Approach?
1st Jul 2003, 16:49
Thought we were doing well in Copenhagen. BUT we just got a customer-review back that blames us for being too expeditious...

That one made me wonder for a moment. :confused:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jul 2003, 18:54
<<<Heard a story one day about a jet taxiing past a tower in Australia, and the pilot knew some of the guys in the tower. As they went past, there were some rude gesticulations made at the pilot. Of course, the pilot pointed out to those on the left of the jet that if they looked out, they could see ATC's finest wishing them well.

Funny thing about this one is when I heard the story, I knew the end before it finished, cause my old man was in the tower when it happened.>>>

Amazing! When I worked in Africa a taxiway went right past the tower. One day one of the American pilots of an oil company Dak threw me some V signs as he went past. I duly responded with equal gusto, nearly falling off the balcony as I did so. He said: "I'm reporting you for making rude signs to my passengers"! Magic days!

In response to the question posed by the originator of this thread the answer is surely "Me" but as I'm retired there must be someone else equally capable.... somewhere?

Jerricho
1st Jul 2003, 18:58
:D :D :D

Come back Bren.............we miss you!!!

ShyTorque
3rd Jul 2003, 23:14
Rude hand signals, ah yes!

I once went to RAF Linton-on-0use in a twin engined Puma heli.

They weren't too au fait with helicopters, especially twins. In fact I don't think the groundcrew chap they sent out was even aware that Pumas had two engines, despite two large open intakes up top. I started number one first. As soon as the rotors were turning, the airman looked as if he was about to leave, so I gave him the "Start No. 2 engine" hand signal, i.e. held up two fingers (palm first, of course). He still looked blank so I pointed upwards to the number two engine with my forefinger.

He looked at me for a couple of seconds, shrugged his shoulders, turned and walked away, leaving us to complete the start without the usual fire cover. When I got back to Odiham I was immediately asked to ring the Chief Tech line controller at Linton. He said the airman had complained that I gave him a Vee sign and then the bird and why was I so rude?

Nerd. :8

ATCO1987
5th Jul 2003, 00:47
Hello! Defo has to be Bristol, its my local, of Course I'm going to support it! :ok: The few ATCO's I know there are useful friendly chaps, and when listening in they sound friendly and professional :D.
Dan.

tobzalp
5th Jul 2003, 13:27
Jerricho..........

.........retarded and....

Ban please.

AirNoServicesAustralia
5th Jul 2003, 18:58
You goose Jerricho was calling himself retarded and rejected hardly a bannable offense you RETARD!!!!!

Point Seven
5th Jul 2003, 19:09
Tobzalp

Hmm...could this be Plazbot trying to hide his identity?

Leave Jerricho alone - read the post first.

tobzalp
6th Jul 2003, 09:15
Nevarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

ANSA chill miss.

Plus Chris, replying to threads that you start with your own smurf makes baby jesus cry.

Spooney
4th Aug 2003, 19:14
Deco sectors, the best?

Is it any wonder Lon More......

With the most staff, the least traffic and 3 hour working days, surely it's hard to get it wrong in those circumstances?

Regards, your envious collegue over in "Ze German Sectors"

:sad:

mancman
5th Aug 2003, 01:41
Well said spooney, they've also got the biggest airspace in which to cram those 12 aircraft an hour. Makes you sit back in wonderment how they can do it.:D

millerman
5th Aug 2003, 15:35
Spooney and Mancman,
Nice to see the green eyed monster is alive and kicking!These late comes and early goes are great!Especiallywith this weather.How are the official working times going?
Dont know where you get the idea that we have the most staff though?We just use our resources more efficiently.

Playpen
12th Aug 2003, 02:28
London U.A.C/A.C.C ? -no directs - stering service though
Maastricht U.A.C ? - thanks for the directs! - but no A.C.C
Paris - er - what was that you said ?
T.R.A.C.O.N NY - nice straight in's - smooth service

I wonder .....

250 kts
12th Aug 2003, 23:26
Hope you meant a "stirling" service. You obviously haven't flown over the UK at weekend/night when most of the traffic is off route and routeing direct to somewhere. It won't happen at other times as the military take up so much of the airspace and make it very difficult to go off route.

PPRuNe Radar
13th Aug 2003, 06:13
Hope you meant a "stirling" service.

Is that what Braveheart controllers give ?? :)

Or did you mean 'sterling' ?? :)

250 kts
14th Aug 2003, 00:53
Yep, you're right-it looked wrong as I typed it.

PushingTin111
14th Aug 2003, 04:12
What about the Paddys......?

Cougar
15th Aug 2003, 10:30
Definitely the Singaporeans, especially the Mil controllers. The lass that works Payar Lebar approach is amazing. Superb professionalism.

The other good one is the guy working Melbourne centre in oz who gives all aircraft track shortening when you contact him!! Its quite amazing. Through 5000ft out of melbourne, and get direct to a point 20Nms out of Sydney... in peak hour too!!

I beg to differ with the poor opinion of oz controllers. Of course you will get the odd bad apple, but overall the are damn good. Always excellent to get back onto Brisbane on HF when coming in from SE Asia etc.

spudskier
17th Aug 2003, 07:34
Just my two cents, but KMFD (Mansfield, Ohio) is the best Approach tower I've ever worked with!!! They're class D, but they are one of the few with approach control, and they have a TON of GA and corporate traffic as well as Nat'l guard. Net Jets does their training flights there since the runways are so huge (longest 9001x150).

They always treat everyone with respect and try to help everyone in whatever way they can, I've heard them deal with complete idiots, fully trained pilots, rude people, and others on their first solo or cross country, all with professional respect and courtesy. I go there often for my training flights.

Spank me baby!!!
31st Aug 2003, 12:12
Originally posted by Cougar:
"I beg to differ with the poor opinion of oz controllers. Of course you will get the odd bad apple, but overall the are damn good. "

:ok: