PDA

View Full Version : Don't know if i believe this or not, but...

TheFox
29th Jun 2003, 22:56
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/06/28/1056683951244.html

Short Approach?
30th Jun 2003, 04:51
Doubt that the millitary code-bank is connected to the civil one. And if it is - it would be clear that it was ATC-input.

Summa Summarum: CRAP! :yuk:

contact_tower
30th Jun 2003, 20:02
We use civilian codes on MIL transport helos and cargo ac. Allso the UK Navy ones that have visited each winter the last 30 years.

MIL codes are only used during large multi service/national exercises. :p

ZRH
30th Jun 2003, 21:38
The swiss airforce has all the gen that is in our civilian system, so they would see the chopper with the correlated callsign. The french do not have the same info unless GVA has made the info available!!?
What could possibly have happened is that the swiss airforce chap phoned his french counterpart, as this all happened on the other side of the border.
Not a very well thought out joke............

Lon More
30th Jun 2003, 22:35
A certain Austrian ex controller, now a leading light at Jet Magic, was also supposed to have done this at Maastricht UAC. Total sense of humour failure, quite correctly, and a general shout for his blood.
His departure followed rapidly. Did he go or was he pushed??

karrank
1st Jul 2003, 19:05
I do derive a modicum of amusement from hanging "rad-tags" off a non-discrete code flying through TMA airspace displaying insulting messages. They can't see them because of the wierd partitioning of our varigated systems... Well, it passes the time til the next coffee run.

The concept of fighter planes being scrambled for a funny is a bit alarming, but indicates a different level of preparedness for such (real) occurences there to what we have here. No fighters within cooee of my center.:confused:

ATCO Two
2nd Jul 2003, 00:36
At West Drayton some joker used to attach the SSR label "SANTA" to a suitable flight from the North, around midnight on 24th December each year. What fun!!