PDA

View Full Version : THE farm strip to visit........

Monocock
29th Jun 2003, 05:59
Undoubtedly had my best trip in years today.

I took my 5 year old daughter to meet some friends near Salcombe and landed at Bolt Head Airfield (1m west of Salcombe). It has to be the easiest strip to find and has recently been lengthened to 600m+.

We took a cliff-top walk from Thurleston village to Bigbury Bay beach and spent the day in the sun. The scenery and local area is spectacular and I can't recommend it highly enough.

If anyone is interested in a guaranteed success of a day out then PM me. Believe me, the place is idyllic!:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Jun 2003, 06:19
Hi MOnocock

PM in the post and thanks for answering it in advance.

FD

SteveR
29th Jun 2003, 08:01
Sounds very inviting.

I've had an invite - to a party in Swaffham, Norfolk.

This'd be a pain to drive to, and we probaby won't go because of this. It'd be really groovy to fly there, but I don't have any farn strip guide books (and I don't have enough of a social life to warrant buying one).

Anybody get any suggestions? within 5 miles or so?

Steve R

RodgerF
30th Jun 2003, 00:06
Shipdham (EGSA) is about 7 miles due East of Swaffham if you are stuck.

QDMQDMQDM
30th Jun 2003, 02:36
Halwell is nice too in that neck of the woods, tad short for most people though perhaps. More info on all these at www.devonstrut.co.uk

David

RodgerF
30th Jun 2003, 19:35
SteveR

Another suggestion to the W of Swaffham. East Winch is about 10 miles according to the AA

http://www.pilotweb.co.uk/content/airfields/airfield.aspx?af_id=9449

rtl_flyer
1st Jul 2003, 17:15
Monocock,

Bolt Head sounds great, do you have contact details for the strip. Are the details in Lockyears (don't have a copy with me)?

Regards

Tim.

Monocock
1st Jul 2003, 18:53
Just go to Google and type in "bolt head airfield".

As mentioned, the strip is now longer than advertised on the site

QDMQDMQDM
1st Jul 2003, 19:33
http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/bolthead%20runway.htm

flyingwysiwyg
1st Jul 2003, 20:51
Monocock,

You must be Psychic. I was in Salcombe a couple of weeks ago, travelled by car, and was wondering if there was an airfield or strip near by. Sounds perfect. I'll check out QDMs link.

Is it tricky, or would I (as a fairly newish PPL) find it fairly easy?

Thanks in advance

FWyg.

Monocock
1st Jul 2003, 23:48
Easier than finding Heathrow at night!

Head for salcombe and it is literally there 1/2 mile west with a massive mast sticking up. If you miss it you should have gone to spec-savers:8 :O

flyingwysiwyg
2nd Jul 2003, 02:20
Sounds Excellent :ok:

No more 4.5 hour journeys from sunny Worcestershire! :)

Thanks for the info

FWyg