PDA

View Full Version : Sick of this HAPPENING, have to comment!

Sheep Guts
28th Jun 2003, 05:36
Im in the Caribbean , Jamaica to be precise. Im sick of the way ATC handle giving clearances to departing Aircraft. What happens is they give the departure clearance on TWR Frequency, chewying up valueable RT time, for inbound traffic to report position and also get a CLEARANCE TO LAND. One is very unnerved. and one day God forbid, I DONT KNOW WHEN, SOMETHING WORSE IS GOING TO HAPPEN!

When ground frequency is used its not used properly.They should get themselves a clearance delivery frequency and move themselves from the dark ages. Both Airports aswell are non-Radar environments so Position information is vital. Traffic management , traffic advisory is poor for IFR traffic and non-existant for VFR. I realise VFR is required to keep clear of all other traffic, but please give us the time of day?I suppose Im barking up an old tree and this subject has been chewed over before. ITS NOT IF, ITS WHEN SOMETHING TERRIBLE WILL HAPPEN!

Regards
Sheep

P.S. Anyone care to comment or give me some answers?

I doubt Im the only Person with this complaint. Many Airlines travel to Kingston or Montego Bay everyday. Sometimes I hear them under their breath be very angry with the way its handled.

niknak
28th Jun 2003, 06:29
Sheep Guts
The only way to get something done is to file a safety report (in the UK it's known as a MOR - Mandatory Occurance Report) with your CAA and your Chief Pilot, with a view to taking it up with the airport authority. It may even be worth approaching the UK CAA, as they have their "International Department" heavily involved in developing safety systems and procedures worldwide, and I am almost certain that involves your neck of the woods.
Other than that, a few well placed bits of information to journalists in the countries whose nationals use your airport for tourism might shake the airport authority into action, but be careful who you approach and what you say.

I sympathise with your problems, it wouldn't be tolerated here, I hope you get somewhere.
:ok:

FWA NATCA
28th Jun 2003, 09:33
Sheep Guts,

To add to what has already been mentioned send in a few NASA ASR (Aviation Safety Reports). These reports are kept anonomys and they do help.

Mike

Scott Voigt
28th Jun 2003, 10:51
Sheep Guts;

You may try to contact IFATCA which is the International Federation of Air Traffic Control Associations. The America's rep. may be able to shed some light on the situation or get you and the countries controllers some help... I've found that IFATCA when armed with enough facts can help mediate some problem areas...

regards

Scott H. Voigt
NATCA Southwest Region
Safety and Technology Chairman

Hippy
29th Jun 2003, 06:06
Sheep Guts,

Kudos. I don't have an answer, but you obviously feel something is drasticly wrong. Take the guys advise, be heard & make a difference.

Sheep Guts
29th Jun 2003, 11:27
Thanks very much guys Ive heard now someone in our company may be making a complaint about it through the correct channels. Well see if it changes things. Thanks for the responses. :)

I will check it myself aswell. I dont think and issue like this should wait for and incident report.

Regards
sheep