PDA

View Full Version : FATIGUE-One strike and you're out

300-600
27th Jun 2003, 18:07
Got this interesting little package delivered at work today but I am the only one (certainly on my shift).

Anyone else got one??What do you think??

Smokie
27th Jun 2003, 19:13
Don't suppose you could be more specific, few details perhaps ? :confused:

ZRH
27th Jun 2003, 19:24
Nobody gave me any packages. Sounds very dubious:confused:

300-600
28th Jun 2003, 04:40
Smokie here is the letter that came with a stack of flyers that specifically targeted ATC,Pilots and cabin crew (sorry no scanner).

"Fatigue … One strike and you’re out!

Everyone in aviation understands how critical it is that Air Traffic Controllers always operate at the top of their game. Most are also aware of the insidious effects of tiredness and stress, especially where shift working is involved.

One way of protecting yourself against fatigue is to improve the amount of undisturbed quality time in your home.

Feel the difference in a home where you are really in control of when people can and can’t contact you; where, for example, the phone never wakes you

High Demand + Low Control Situations = STRESS!

This is a scenario many of us face with incoming calls to our home telephone.

Phone Bloc™ is a unique new design, which is subject to a worldwide patent and is only available from Transonic U.K.

No other product allows you to select time periods of phone isolation, without having to remember to reconnect

We are pleased to offer a free ten-day trial of Phone Bloc™ where we will not debit your account until you have had the chance to evaluate our product

If you can also persuade anyone you know to buy Phone Bloc™ you will each receive a £10 discount (we pass our advertising savings directly back to our customers for multiple purchases)

For example a Pilot recently placed these leaflets on his crew room wall and effectively obtained four Phone Bloc™ units for the price of three; this is approximately half the three-year price of a poor substitute such as Caller Barring (see table)

This is in addition to a free manual accessory for your second phone with each individual order

Order Phone Bloc™ using the enclosed form or contact us directly via any of the above contact details

If you can find a better deal anywhere this year … take it!"

Sent a copy to SATCO...he certainly doesn't understand the effects of fatigue on performance!

Gonzo
28th Jun 2003, 12:12
300-600

I got one of these. There was a really friendly sounding Post-It note on the front, upon reading it you'd be forgiven for thinking that the person responsible and I were lifelong friends. But it wasn't signed, and there was no indication of how he/she got my name, and the address on the envelope certainly wasn't the official unit address, more like "Control Tower, Heathrow Airport, London."

Therefore straight in the bin.

Gonzo.

Filtonman
28th Jun 2003, 17:38
I bought one of these last month recommended it to several others and now read they are offering it for a tenner less...story of my life:{.typo edit!

Hippy
29th Jun 2003, 06:09
Sounds like SPAM to me. You say you got that sent to a work address?? Very worying.

niknak
29th Jun 2003, 06:36
Alternatively, subscribe to BT 1571 call minder service, it costs £0 each month, £0 to connect, and you can set it to answer without the phone actually ringing, keeps salesmen, colleagues and the mother in law at bay a treat............ ;)

Filtonman
29th Jun 2003, 14:53
NN - Just so you don't think I'm stupid....

I used "Call Minder" this way for about four years and it cost me £96.00 .....(£6.00 / quarter).......the free service you are talking about "BT Answer 1571" does not allow you to select zero rings..it is the basic level service.

Call Minder also takes about a minute to set up for zero rings , a minute to deactivate (or else you will miss all calls until you pick the phone up).Far too much hassle when all you want is a couple of hours watching a film etc.

But my main reason for buying one was to prevent me forgetting that I had disconnected...and three days later wondering why the phone hadn't rung.

:confused:

Barnaby the Bear
2nd Jul 2003, 17:30
Ok be honest. How many of you really work for the marketing department of this product?:rolleyes:

DX Wombat
2nd Jul 2003, 18:51
Well, if you don't want BT's 1571, then just get a phone which allows you to switch off the ring tone, make yourself a little note to stick on the phone to tell you that it is off and the problem is solved.:ok:

RMC
2nd Jul 2003, 20:21
I'm from inside the tube of aluminium but I've got a phone in my hall , kitchen and bedroom (none of them have a ringer off switch).

The only place I can get uninterrupted rest is at work so can someone please tell me where I can get one of these timer phone blocks???

DX Wombat
2nd Jul 2003, 21:35
RMC turn your phone upside down and have a look. Failing that, just unplug it from the socket after first leaving a note as previously suggested.

LAF
3rd Jul 2003, 04:56
RMC www.transonicuk.com

alosaurus
11th Jul 2003, 05:27
I bought one of these last month....the best £30 I have spent in recent times.Just so nice to keep the wolves at bay:)

300-600
16th Jul 2003, 04:25
Just got my phone bloc delivered...don't know how I coped without one before.

It knocks off all three of my phones in a second and doesn't let anyone speak to me until after the time I nominate.

NICE:D

Spangly
16th Jul 2003, 05:07
Anybody know of a device that will encourage more people to phone you - I never get called. But then as far as work is concerned, I know my roster for the next ten years if I can be bothered to work it out. (Really).