PDA

View Full Version : Jet Fuel History -- Concorde, too!

rjemery
4th Nov 2000, 02:46
At some point in my reading, I read that one factor (American) airlines had against opting for the Concorde was the specialized fuel it consumed. At any time in the developmental or production history of the Concorde, did it require special fuel to operate?

If so, did later engine modifications ameliorate the need for that special fuel, or was it that as other jet engines developed, they too required the same fuel?

What type of fuel does the Concorde now utilize?

------------------
R. J. Emery

Skycop
4th Nov 2000, 08:49
Concorde is not using any fuel just now.

Shame.

Will they now ground all 747s because one crashed after allegedly hitting something on the runway?

WOK
4th Nov 2000, 15:23
The conc can actually use a wider range of fuels than most certificated airliners -

Jet A1
Jet A
JP8
JP4 (JET B)
TS1 (Russian)
T7 "
RT "

The only worries airlines may have had about conc fuel wasn't the spec, but the quantity!

Checkboard
5th Nov 2000, 07:25
The SR 71 used a special fuel cut - JP 7, although it could use standard fuel for low level (FL450) and low speed (M1.3) emergency repositioning.

rjemery
5th Nov 2000, 23:16
WOK, most -- if not all -- those (non-Soviet) fuels were readily available worldwide and about the same cost in the late 1960's? The Concorde's fuel required no special filtering or additives which may have set it apart from the requirements of other jet a/c?

By comparison, what fuel was the 707 and 727 burning then?

When I read the passage in one book or another about the special fuel required, it took me aback. I presume now that source was mistaken.

------------------
R. J. Emery