PDA

View Full Version : Visit to East Midlands

A1500
25th Jun 2003, 21:17
I have my tests and interview sometime in July / August with NATS. Iwas wondering if anyone would be able to help me or point me in the right direction in organising a visit to the control tower at East Midlands some time in the near future?

Thanks guys.

26th Jun 2003, 08:48
I'm sure that somebody on here will be able to organize a visit to East Mids; don't you think it would be better to visit a NATS airfield before your interview?

almost professional
26th Jun 2003, 22:54
A1500-ATSM is Jon Cox, if you ring the airport switchboard and ask to be put through-he is normally mon/fri 9-5 and should be able to help
1261-why shouldn't a1500 visit the best equipped ATC unit in the area, I'm sure we can give him all the tips he needs even if we are non NATS!

A1500
27th Jun 2003, 01:51
Im going to try and organise a visit to both East Mids and a NATS airfield. East Mids is only 10 minutes down the road so it makes sense to gain as much experience as possible, NATS or non-Nats! Thanks for the help.

mids atco
27th Jun 2003, 23:23
No smr, no smf, no banboxing facilities. old radar screens. Need i go on. It might be the newest tower in the area, but the best equipped unit? I dont think so.

28th Jun 2003, 01:36
AP,

As a NATS employee I don't want A1500 to visit NX because we need all the help we can get at the moment!

almost professional
29th Jun 2003, 03:02
smr coming this winter, who needs smf in an apc unit, new displays coming as part of the smr contract-at least we can see all of the airfield we control!
management that appreciates what ATC bring to the party-need I go on?

Evil J
30th Jun 2003, 21:18
And the radar displays may be old but they are still better than the ones at Swanick according to 2 recent visitors we had recently from said unit.

mids atco
1st Jul 2003, 01:15
your reply answers my argument completely. Everything is happening this winter- not there yet. So most definately not the best equipped unit in the area. Best equiped in my book means already having the facilities.

ratsarrse
1st Jul 2003, 02:53
I'm a student PPL training at EMA and I'd really like to visit the tower to see how it all works, put some faces to voices, reduce some of the 'radiophobia' and see who I'm going to owe a pint to when I inevitably make a complete arse of meself.

What would the chances be of an organised visit by a small group?

almost professional
1st Jul 2003, 04:19
mids atco-perhaps then you would enlighten us as to which is the best, one assumes the one at which you are gainfully employed!
ratsarse-speak to your instructor, both Donair and EMFS often bring groups of students around, normally when the weather precludes them annoying us in the circuit!

Point Seven
1st Jul 2003, 05:50
Come on guys, don't you think you're putting the poor kid off?

A1500 - just visit anywhere that's appropriate to where you live. The visit has two reasons for being:

1/. To prove that you're comitted and prepared to make the effort to get off your bum and away from Wimbledon on the telly.

2/. So that when you do your technical interview, you can say what you saw and show interest and some understanding.

Good luck, see you in a tower soon!!

P7

1st Jul 2003, 07:50
you're = your; learn some English, Pal!

Legs11
1st Jul 2003, 17:15
:mad: :mad: 1261:* , you really are a rather rude person aren't you. P7's use of "your" and "you're" is perfectly correct. Learn some :mad: respect!

mids atco
1st Jul 2003, 17:39
I didn't want to start an arguement over which unit was best. Both do a good job and work well together when the need arises. I was mearly pointing out to a potential atco who wouldnt know differntly that east mids doesn't YET have all the facilities that can be found at other units in the area.

Jerricho
1st Jul 2003, 18:31
We all know P7 is the Second Best controller in the world, but his English skills are outstanding (he even gives me a pointer or 2). But his use of the conjunction "you're" in place of "you are" is totally correct.

Bit of a malfunction today 1261?

spekesoftly
1st Jul 2003, 19:10
1261 wrote:-you're = your; learn some English, Pal!

Dear Oh dear! If you must criticise, please try and get it right!

You're = You are. (e.g. "You're wrong")

Your (possessive) (e.g. "Your command of English is ......... :rolleyes: " )

1st Jul 2003, 23:03
My comment was directed at MidsAtco - whom you will notice has since edited his post!

However, it was made late at night (after far too many Stellas) and was rude and uncalled for, so I apologize unreservedly!

(And don't give me sh*t about -ize, you can use either) :)

Jerricho
2nd Jul 2003, 06:05
Ahhhhh....ye olde Stella induced post. I can relate totally! (I think I spell better when p*ssed. Still can't type for crap!)