PDA

View Full Version : Flying at Bristol Airport

VFR800
25th Jun 2003, 21:11
Hi doodes,

I'm currently flying at Kemble, but thinking off going to Bristle Hairport, anyone know what the situation for GA is like there these days? Also, I notice there appears to be 2 FTO's, The Bristol and Wessex and Bristol Flight Centre, anyone have any recommendations?

BTW, working back in Bristol now, Kemble's over an hour's drive away, hence the reason for wanting to move locations.

FlyingFowl
26th Jun 2003, 02:10
vfr800

Why not try Filton less commercial traffic to deal with/be delayed by.:E

Deano777
26th Jun 2003, 06:47
Hi VFR

I am currently about to finish my PPL at BFC so I can only comment on them, basically they are good, there are currently 2 PPL FI's there with another one doing it when he isnt doing charters, there are others there who do the IR that can help out too, basically my experience hasnt been all good there like I do an 80 mile round trip to and from my house (Im only 10 minutes from Filton as well) so things has to be spot on for me not to waste my time, but lately they have been really good, the CFI is a nice guy as are all the training pilots there, I would say though that they are more geared towards IFR and CPL than ppl but still offer a good service, and the pricing is good too although they now charge you 'Hobbs Time' but when I first started it was B off to B on, i guess its a std across the board now.B&W only deal with PPL? correct me if I am wrong someone.
As for the delays, in my 2 yrs training there (yes I know its long but) i have only ever ONCE got out the aeroplane because we couldnt get taxi clearance, the beauty of BRS is that you learn to fly amongst the commercial traffic in Class D airspace, I have been in a few holds being No 4 in traffic before now but it's all part of the enjoyment and learning what to expect when traffic is busy

may I suggest you email me mate

[email protected]

u may be able to join me in the RHS too when I get my liscence:)

Dean :)

VFR800
26th Jun 2003, 17:44
Deano 777

Cheers Dean, you think 2 years is bad m8, my PPL time is going to hit about 85 hrs before I get my licence, more if the club I currently fly at want me redo my X-country qualifier!

I actually used to fly at the Bristol & Wessex, so have flown at Bristol quite extensively, but I heard that the place had become very unfriendly towards GA and the B&W was in the process of closing down (something to do with the airport wanting to relocate GA across the other side of the airfield). Your reply seems to indicate that this isn’t the case.

Flying Fowl

I though of Filton, guy I know has a share in a Robin based there, But I was under the impression you could only fly from the club if you worked or were affiliated with Bae, have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Anyway, thanks for the replies doodes.
:D

Deano777
26th Jun 2003, 20:45
Hi VFR

Well, it isnt as bad as that i must admit, you can usually tell how BRS is towards GA by the ATC, basically they are very accommodating, you can usually get circuits when you want, they dont keep you in massive holding patterns forever (although on my 1st solo I was holding for about 17 minutes :D) (sept 11th 2001 as well just as 'it' happened) and they try to get you airbourne before the commercials with 'cleared for immediate take off' clearances etc etc, I think BRS needs the GA side of aviation, there was talk of them moving it south side but has dissipated now.
I will ask some guys at BFC when I go in next Tuesday and get you some feedback, if you email me I can put you in touch with someone who knows more.
As for Filton, not sure thats the case because Aeros flies out of there and they are listed in the annual list of flying schools in the GA magazines, my wife phoned them up for me when she was getting me a trial lesson but I decided to go to Lulsgate instead, in hindsight I should have gone to Filton cos it is only a 15 minute drive for me whereas BRS is 45 minutes there.

Dean :ok: