PDA

View Full Version : What To Do In YYZ For 4 Day Trip?

Jemy
23rd Jun 2003, 07:57
Hi There Canada,

I'm having a 4 day stopover in Toronto next month, and I was wondering if you could suggest a couple of things to do other than drink Molsen!
Been for 1 day only before and "did" Niagra Falls. I'd be interested to see a bit more of the real Canada.

Any Suggestions welcome.

Cheers J:ok:

Obbie
23rd Jun 2003, 10:09
If you like the roller coasters, there's Canada's WonderLand
Park on the north end of town.

$50 CDN to get in for the day and you can ride till you (you know).

By the way, it's Molson.

YYZ to POS
23rd Jun 2003, 10:28
Hmmm...I dunno.
I dunno if anyone has even heard of or been to this place.
It's not very popular here in YYZ.
I think it's called..uhhh...the CN TOWER!!!!

*was typed extremely sarcastically ;)

A MUST GO!!

Jerricho
23rd Jun 2003, 11:09
And after you do the CN Tower (or before.........)

At the bottom is a great little micro-brewery "Steam Whistle". If you're rather partial to a cleansing ale or 2, I can highly recommend doing the tour (and the "samples"). The tour is $4, and they sell their lovely product to the public on site.

And if you're looking for a good feed of wings (and beer again.....), can highly recommend the Wheat Sheaf Tavern on the corner of King West and Bathurst.

Enjoy!

Grouchy
23rd Jun 2003, 22:15
If you did a one day trip before and did the Falls thing I would say you didn't do it right. I recently had a friend here for 3 days and we didn't see half of the things to do here.
From Toronto, ( or the centre of the universe as it is known ), Montreal is a do-able trip and along the way there is the Kingston area for the history, Trenton airbase has a nice little museum along with the lake cruises up along that way through the 1000 islands.
Hamilton has the Canadian Warplane heritage museum and depending on when you are coming the world cycling championships will be held there in October.
Heading north of Toronto past Barrie you could find a nice lake somewhere with a cottage for some pickerel fishing.
Lots to do, have fun.

Jemy
24th Jun 2003, 13:41
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll Certainly give some of your suggestions a go, Kingston + Trenton seem appealing, also the warbird museum in Hamilton. (Don't they have the Lancaster there?)

By the way, I requested Information from your tourist agency, but it has still to arrive some 20 days on. I'd have thought they'd be keen on promoting the area with things as they are at the moment. :confused:

Off to bed now after another night flight.

Cheers folks

Jemy

Hen Ddraig
24th Jun 2003, 23:25
Toronto also has an Aerospace Museum at Downsview
In the Old DeHavCan factory. Currently building a full size replica of the Avro Arrow. They also have a Lancaster in bits.
Hamilton has flying Lanc, Mitchell, Canso and a Firefly among others. They are rebuilding a Bolingbroke and a Lysander and have an Anson which is next on the list for restoration.
Trenton is currently rebuilding a Halifax to display standard.

All worth a visit

Time to spare. Go by air.

604guy
26th Jun 2003, 20:57
Not sure how much travelling you want to do but the Nation's capitol, Ottawa, is a wonderful place to visit. Canadian Aviation museum is there. Good exhibits,well displayed and a few "one ofs". Others have suggested things to do in and around YYZ. The Islands are nice (Toronto Harbour area)

Oh...and Molson? That's the swill we sell to foreigners. Mostly south of the 49th. SORRY!
There are many, many really good beers. Just ask in the pubs and I am sure someone will lead you in the right direction.

It's a great country, enjoy!

Tree
30th Jun 2003, 06:43
Use a pass or buy a discount ticket to Vancouver and spend 4 days in Beautiful British Columbia!
Happy Trails, Tree

Cpt. Underpants
30th Jun 2003, 07:58
Four days in YYZ? There is only one thing that you MUST do:

Go to The Ballet.

The Landing Strip on Carlingview Drive, adjacent to the airport, has the best looking peelers on the East Coast. All real, no silicone.

Hubba Hubba.

EuroATC
30th Jun 2003, 23:16
how old are all you guys??? If you want fun in YYZ for 4 days message me....

Jemy
2nd Jul 2003, 23:11
I reckon Vancouver is a wee bit far, but maybe this winter I'll have a chance to go......

Already heard of the Landing strip. Sounds interesting! Maybe not one for the cabincrew though. (but you never know!)

Cheers everyone

rwm
3rd Jul 2003, 02:27
Just take a stuble down Young street at night and check out the interesting people that crawl around.

Grouchy
11th Jul 2003, 19:19
Let us know what you ended up doing (seeing).

Jemy
24th Jul 2003, 21:23
Hi everyone, and thanks for the suggestions.

I’m just back and glad to say had a great time, but only 3 days as it turned out.

First of all I went for a quick spin in a C-152 round Toronto city, just to get a feel for the layout, then a wander round the harbour. I made full use of the public transport system and I was very impressed.. Frequent, clean, safe and simple to use. Nearly as good as the MRT in Singapore.

The whole crew enjoyed a smashing dinner in the resturaunt up the CN tower which was a great success.

I managed to get to see an Argos game at the Skydome too. What a fab facility, but I really couldn’t get into the game. Too many stoppages for my liking. Mind you the girlies and beer made up for that. (not something we have in UK at football games)

I also took a day trip down to the Canadian Warplane Museum in Hamilton. It ranks amongst one of the best aircraft museums I’ve been to. Not just because of the fabulous exhibits (saw the Lanc doing ground runs) but mainly because of the very friendly and helpful staff. I was persuaded to go for a spin in the Harvard which was really great, but a bit pricey. (Don’t tell the wife)

All in all a great place with some of the most friendly people you could meet. I do hope all the SARS nonsense dies away soon and let Toronto thrive again.

Hopefully I'll get back soon and manage to get up to the 1000 islands as that area looks very interesting.

Regards
Jemy.

P.S Any chance of a flying job for a Brit over there? (B-757/767)!!
:)

Grouchy
25th Jul 2003, 01:44
Glad ya had a good time., sounds like ya kept busy.
I don't think anyone will rat ya out for the Harvard trip;)
On your ps, anything is possible but with the state of the industry maybe not for a while yet.