PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Shoreham 2morrow

cblinton@blueyonder.
17th Jun 2003, 23:02
Finaly after 13 months it seems our A/C is ready tomorrow.

The rebuild has been far more stressful than the forced landing so it will hopefully be the end of that chapter 2morrow.
Is anyone going down to Shoreham with a spare seat from either gloster or Kemble or somewhere near?

I will get the landing fee and lunch!!!

Cheers Chris!:ok:

BRL
17th Jun 2003, 23:15
Hi Chris. If you get stuck for a lift and decide to get the train into Brighton, then I will pick you up at the station and drive you to the airport. I am working tommorow at 1545 so if your down here before then I will get you over there.

Dunc
17th Jun 2003, 23:40
Yup

flying down Wednesday lunchtime to pick my plane up - have spare seats and flying from Elstree and Cranfield. Any good??

Duncan

Circuit Basher
17th Jun 2003, 23:49
Should we start getting the beach cleared now, just in case?? ;) ;)

Good news - bet you're looking forward to getting re-acquainted with G-ATSR! Remember, the first time can be put down to misfortune, but the second may be deemed carelessness! ;)

cblinton@blueyonder.
17th Jun 2003, 23:51
Thanks BRL thats very kind i will let you know.

And thanks to Dunc too, but thats going to be a bit far from here.
Where are you picking yours up from.

Dunc
18th Jun 2003, 02:04
Taken the plung and bought a twin - so I am collecting from there tomorrow. Hope you make it there OK.

BRL
18th Jun 2003, 02:54
Chris. Check your private messages....

cblinton@blueyonder.
19th Jun 2003, 02:08
bad news im afraid, just about to shut the door and set off for shoreham when the phone went and problems with the ground run.

So back on for 2morrow so any one still heading to shoreham with a spare seat give me a shout

Many thanks

chris:{

surely not
19th Jun 2003, 04:49
So I'll have to spend another day watching the Shoreham Apt website movements page to see when you make your escape bid!

Best of luck, and a safe journey.

Is it true your having 'Pebbles' from the flintstones painted on the engine cowling?

cblinton@blueyonder.
19th Jun 2003, 04:59
S/not

Yeah fraid so, I was on the web cam 2day watching it taxi about.
Its more stressful than moving house.

Those pebbles can wait another day!!:sad:

BRL
19th Jun 2003, 19:18
Whats the addy for the web-cam??????

rupetime
19th Jun 2003, 19:21
www.shorehamairport.co.uk - button on home page to live web cam.

rt

BRL
19th Jun 2003, 19:35
Hi mate. I tried that and just get the error 404 page not found. Also tried the Southern Flight Centre cam but thats just blank. I was wondering if there were another that I had not seen.

FlyingForFun
19th Jun 2003, 19:37
Well, it works for me.

Not that there's much to see. Keeps switching between some empty benches (which, not knowing the airport, I'd guess are outside the restaurant area) and a line of parked aircraft.

Nice idea, though!

FFF
---------------

Circuit Basher
19th Jun 2003, 21:02
BRL - if you were trying to access from work, then it may be you've got a firewall that blocks streaming video to stop you going to all the sites like C0n$umpt10nJunct10n (characters changed to protect the innocent. If you do go there, be warned - it's adults only - even worse than JetBla$t ;)). I managed to see it OK, but at no point was there any sign of a BE35 on the move.

It wasn't listed on departures info, but assume that departures list only shows flight plans filed. Although as Chris ended his last flight in G-ATSR in IMC vis conditions, he may well have filed a precautionary IFR plan!!

Surely not - I thought Chris was going to name the aircraft after the noise before he hit the beach - BamBam ;) :)

surely not
21st Jun 2003, 01:56
Glad to see you departed today......according to the flight info on the Shoreham website. How did it feel to be back in the seat flying out of ESH?

Judging from the movements board ESH has had a very busy day.

cblinton@blueyonder.
21st Jun 2003, 16:08
We Did it !!!!!!!!

Wow what a Day Friday turned out to be, In the morning after a good breakfast at the B&B we stayed at in Lancing, myself the test pilot and engineer took to the air in SR.

It was fantastic and to pass over the "Beach" this time with the new Millenium engine purring away I closed the chapter.

After the test flight it was back in for mountains of paperwork and some briefing on running in the engine etc.

The chief engineer signed the release docs and the engineers gave SR a final clean and it was done.

It felt great departing from shoreham back to kemble and getting to know the A/C again.
When we arrived at Kemble family and friends were there to see us and after a couple of hours I just had to take it up again.
My good lady jumped in and we went for a local evening flight, buzzed our local and then back in to kemble.

What a fantastic Day!!!!!:D

Thanks to all for your support and funny comments!!! :O

Flyer Flier
21st Jun 2003, 19:34
Chris,

Now that you have the aircraft back, I am particularly interested to find out whether there are any issues on the aircraft's maintenance prior to the accident that you would share with us.
I read the AAIB report, but I would be interested to know whether you had an independent pre-purchase survey carried out or whether the annual inspection prior to the accident was by your own maintenance organisation or the previous owner's.

I, myself, do have a connection with a maintenance company and find it hard to believe that nothing came to light in a survey or annual.

Please note, all the above is only for my own little agenda in this matter and does not affect my respect for your excellent handling of the emergency landing and your well deserved CAA award.

All the best with your future flying,

Regards
Steve

cblinton@blueyonder.
21st Jun 2003, 21:25
FLIER STEVE

Hi mate

We purchased the aircraft with a new annual that the previous owner had done.
God knows how it achieved one because it was riddled with faults that were found after the crash.
Thanks to Jade Air (our maintenance company) they have turned it into a totaly different aircraft.

to be honest I was very green when i purchased the a/c as it was the first one. I certainly would have thought 10 times if i knew now what a dog it was.

It flies on rails now and the millenium engine sounds awsome!!

Cheers!!!!:O

Chris.

BigGreenPleasureMachine
22nd Jun 2003, 19:27
CB, good to hear that G-ATSR is back where it should be.

I was on placement at AAIB when the accident occured, and had the privilege of being present at R's initial inspection of the a/c at Shoreham. I agree that some of the other faults, especially the NLG which the guys at Jade uncovered were frightening.

Hope you derive the greatest pleasure from the 'v tailed doctor killer,' and that you only ever have to PFL in future.

All the Best, BGPM.

PS, still impressed with that forced landing, have you briefed the multitudes on PPrune? an object lesson in how to get it right in the most difficult of circumstances.

cblinton@blueyonder.
23rd Jun 2003, 00:50
Hi all

Does anyone know where we stand on a situation like this.
Surely there must be a legal issue here on the state of "SR" before the Beach.

There was a hole in the nose brace the size of a 50p coin that had been plugged with carbody filler and sprayed over to disguise the terrible act.

There was no record of the timed components so we had to have them totally replaced at our cost.

Your Advice and views would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris.

Flyer Flier
23rd Jun 2003, 02:19
Chris,
Sent you an email through PPRUNE yesterday, perhaps it didn't get through.
Basically, our maintenance company was asked to carry out a pre-buy survey for a customer at Staverton some months before you bought the Bonanza. I flew your aircraft up to Coventry, where our engineers did our standard evaluation. Needless to say they refused to let me fly it back. The owner was furious and said his engineer knew better than us. The aircraft was gone the next morning and our client bought a Bonanza from elsewhere.

It might be worth checking if our former client still has a copy of our survey, there can't be too many of you V tailed people down in Glos, perhaps you know him already. If not you could try our Chief Engineer at Aerotech (see website above) as I'm away on a trip the rest of the week. You would have expected everything to have been sorted on your annual, but it just goes to show the importance of getting an "independent" pre-purchase survey from a reputable engineer. This story has only come to light when the recent publicity of your award stirred my memory.
Hope this helps.
Regards Steve

cblinton@blueyonder.
23rd Jun 2003, 02:38
Steve

I got your email and replied.

Check your private msg I have pasted a copy of it.:ok: