PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Aircraft

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Jun 2003, 16:25
Fuji Aircraft.

So what is the news on these? They seem very inexpensive for a four seater.

What are the problems, pitfalls and general gossip on these machines.

FD

High Wing Drifter
14th Jun 2003, 19:04
A very similar question was asked on the Flyer forum. Head over there and do a search. The responses were very positive.

As I understand it parts can be a problem, but there are many parts reused from the Beech Sundowner. The FA200 is unusual in having a constant speed prop and fixed undercarriage. They are aerobatic, but draggy. The 180hp version with the wobbly prop is not as quick as a Warrior 161. Good STOL performance, good looks, and a neat canopy that maybe fully open in flight.

The owners luv 'em.

Circuit Basher
16th Jun 2003, 15:16
I fly a group-owned Fuji FA200-160 out of Perth - they are a nice well-built aircraft that has the structural strength for aeros - our group don't aerobat ours, so I don't know the list of what it can / can't do. The 160 is a tad underpowered and struggles a bit to get off when fully loaded. Ours has a fixed prop.

Given the structural strength, it is very heavy and glides like a brick. A PFL is more or less point the nose at the deck to keep up flying speed and remember to flare ;) :eek: :ouch:

Good points are - nice comfy cabin, good visibility (other than below!), stable in the cruise, excellent roll / yaw response.

Poor points are - little prop-to-ground clearance, heavy (will not take 4 adults + full fuel), poor brakes. On the brakes, it has very small pads / discs and in our group a set of pads have been known to wear out in 50 hrs. Pads are specific to the Fuji and cost around £400 a set. There is an approved mod to fit C150 brakes (costs £1200-£1500 to implement) and a set of pads are then around £40 (ISTR).

Overall, if someone wanted a Fuji as an interesting plane that they could sling around the sky and get pleasure from flying, I'd recommend it. As a group / club aircraft, I think it would finish up being too expensive to operate. Whichever way, I'd recommend the brakes mod (we are just waiting the mod kit for ours!).

Picture of KARI (http://groups.msn.com/CircuitBasher/fujiphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6)

PM (tell me you've sent it as I don't check PMs very often) / email me if you want any more info.

Fuji Abound
16th Jun 2003, 17:00
Take a look at www.epcn.co.uk for the official fuji web site - its the owners and operators group. If you have got any other questions send an email.

grow45
13th Jan 2004, 04:33
Just wondered if anybody had anything to add to this thread or a pointer to the Flyer Forum thread High Wing Drifetr mentioned which I couldn't find. Possibly interested in a Fuji so looking for info.

Thanks

g45