PDA

View Full Version : The next fly-in Compton Abbas, 23rd August.

BRL
13th Jun 2003, 06:08
Hi all. The next fly in is at Compton Abbas on 23rd August.
Compton got the nod before everywhere else as it had the most votes by far.

The date was settled by the 23rd having 9 votes and the others 5 votes each. I wanted to keep the date poll open for another week for the people who may be away or not had time to look here for whatever reason. I felt a bit pressured doing the date now so don't be moaning and shouting at me for only having the poll up for only a few days ;)

Compton Abbas can be found here........... (http://www.aerobatics.co.uk/Compton.html)

If someone could be so kind as to put up a booking page please?

See you there....... :)

LowNSlow
13th Jun 2003, 13:53
Ah well, as I'll be back in work by then so I'll be giving it a miss. :{ What was the big rush in fixing the date BRL? Even the 2nd is well over a month away :confused:

Coudn't resist having a quick whinge :D

Evo
13th Jun 2003, 14:45
And a Shoreham mini-bash on the 30th...? :ok:

BRL
13th Jun 2003, 14:55
I got hassled to set a date by at least 2 ppruners. One wanted to have the date so he could book the aircraft and the other threatened to do it for me(set the date). Hands tied and all that....... :ouch:

Just entered this in the Bashes forum for those interested....

Shoreham-Brighton Bash. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93055)

rotorboater
13th Jun 2003, 16:18
I can't make that date so unfortunatly I won't be there, sorry Whirly you can drive to some other event with me though.

I hope you all have a good time

RB

stiknruda
13th Jun 2003, 17:17
Ah - a week earlier and you could all have entered the Beginners Aerobatic Competition at Compton!

Stik;)

knobbygb
13th Jun 2003, 17:19
I feel guilty now as one of the ones who 'forced' the date.

I just thought that since loads of people had voted on the location but not so many on the date, that they weren't that bothered about the date. Surely most poeple who wanted to vote would have done both at the same time?

Fly-in registration page (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=63) - hope no-one minds me doing this - I know someone else ususally does it - I'm just mad keen after meeting everyone last week.

Circuit Basher
13th Jun 2003, 19:09
knobbygb - like the spelling of 'Abass' on the Hangar list!! ;):D

Whirlybird
13th Jun 2003, 19:20
knobby,

Thanks for doing the list. AFAIK no-one minds, no-one usually does it, anyone can do anything, and most people wait for someone else to do it, or like me wouldn't have a clue where they're supposed to put up this list anyway. BRL puts up stickies and moves posts around and stuff like that, and the rest of us do what we feel like. Organised chaos. Seems to work rather well though, doesn't it? ;) :D

knobbygb
13th Jun 2003, 20:04
Abass/Abbas who cares? I can't be bothered changing it. I was going to use 'Compton Abyss' as in my previous post, but realised since no-one commented, it probably wasn't funny :bored:

For information, I notice on The Hangar that there's a 'Flyer forum' flyin to Sheffield on 12th July. I might go - are any pruners also 'Flyer' posters as well? Anyone I know going?

Kolibear
13th Jun 2003, 20:16
I've put my name down for it, so lets hope I get there this time.

Saab Dastard
14th Jun 2003, 04:36
Count me in! I know where it is now (went there today)

I'll bring a Cherokee from Fairoaks if anyone wants a lift.

SD

LowNSlow
16th Jun 2003, 14:12
Nurries BRL. I'm sure there will be further opportunities to go Ppruning in realtime this summer :) :)

Enjoy Compton girls and boys, it's a lovely airfield when you eventually find it. Took me two tries before I finally found it.

Wycombe
16th Jun 2003, 23:33
Brooklands has done the honours and booked us in, with G-WACM the (not quite so new now, but still very nice) 172SP that we brought to the first fly-in at Popham last Year.

Looks like Pprune fly-in No 5 for us - c'mon all you other regulars

AerBabe
17th Jun 2003, 02:50
I think this one will be a drive-in for me... but I'll endeavour to make it anyway! Can't miss out on two consecutively.

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Jun 2003, 07:03
Working on congressional approval and on getting out of the on-call.

Hopeful will manage both so should be kewl for the 23rd.

FD

pulse1
18th Jun 2003, 16:17
Can't miss one so close to home. It's only a 25 min drive but after all it is a fly -in so, if I can get the aeroplane, I'll fly.

buzzc152
18th Jun 2003, 16:20
1 spare seat going from Shoreham if anyone is interested.

gbpck
18th Jun 2003, 22:53
hello

i work at compton, and its great youre coming to visit! the more the merrier!

free cuppa tea from me for the one who gets most lost

speak to you over the air

eveepee
20th Jun 2003, 16:39
Oh Well.. Kolibear....that's our cuppa's sorted and paid for !:D

simonh11
20th Jun 2003, 19:29
This looks like as good a time as any to do my first fly-in. Been to Compton a few times before so I hope to buy my own coffee.;) I'll be spam-canning it from EGHH.

Regards
Simon

CaptAirProx
25th Jun 2003, 04:25
Did anyone get a phone call and telling off from the lady in ops? Seems to be becoming a common theme that one!

Penguina
30th Jun 2003, 20:06
Passed my skill test on Saturday so I hope to see you there!

If any Londoners fancy sharing the cost and the flying then that might help.

PS - am very chuffed!

BlueRobin
30th Jun 2003, 23:41
Looks like a field the Jodel and I could handle. :ok:

Saab Dastard
1st Jul 2003, 04:15
Penguina,

Congratulations! Well done. :)

Methinks you should give your announcement greater publicity - doesn't it deserve its own thread?

I've an aircraft booked from Fairoaks if you are interested.

SD

Penguina
1st Jul 2003, 20:05
Ta SD! :)

Fairoaks? That could be good - what do you fly, I've forgotten?

Start a thread about me? But you know how modest and shy I am! ;) Oh all right then, maybe I will!

P

Kingy
2nd Jul 2003, 06:57
I'll try to make this one... dunno what to bring yet... maybe something you can all have a good laugh at...!

Kingy:D

AerBabe
2nd Jul 2003, 17:55
But if you're coming, Kingy, we can laugh at you... it doesn't matter what you're flying. :p

Kingy
3rd Jul 2003, 05:50
Aerbabe - repeat after me, people in greenhouses should not..... (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/deandashwood/vwp?.dir=/Duxford+2003&.src=ph&.dnm=DSCF0043.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/deandashwood/lst%3f%26.dir=/Duxford%2b2003%26.src=ph%26.view=t)

Kingy:=

AerBabe
3rd Jul 2003, 17:54
:O

MikeSamuel
3rd Jul 2003, 20:17
Knobby,

Is the seat in the Robin still spare? It was great fun flying with you last time and I've never been in a Robin before!!!

Let me know.

Cheers

Penguina
9th Jul 2003, 20:21
Damn, just looked in my diary (might have been an idea to do this before posting) and am in Presteigne that weekend taking part in the music festival. :( :(

Ah well, next fly-in but one will have to be my first... unless you fancy changing the desination to Welshpool? :D

knobbygb
10th Jul 2003, 02:29
MikeSamuel, I think another Pruner from Sherburn is coming, but not 100% sure, so I'll have to let you know a bit nearer the time. If there's no seat available, and you manage to make it down anyway, you're welcome to come up for a quick ride at sometime during the day.

So what's the score with this fly-in then - still only six :uhoh: aircraft listed on the fly-in registration page (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=63). I thought the idea of going down south was that it would attract more people! Come on, if an unempoyed northern git can make it, I'm sure you M4 corridor, lager-shandy drinking types could make the effort! :E

HelenD
10th Jul 2003, 02:46
I have an aircraft booked and will arrive about 1115 ish. I cannot fill in the booking sheet as I wont know which aircraft I will get till the day. I will have to leave for base arround 1215 but I intend to return by car afterwards.

Wycombe
10th Jul 2003, 05:45
Aye knobby, t'is early days yet lad!

I'm just making sure I get there before you so that you can't laugh at my landing again ;)

FlyingForFun
10th Jul 2003, 16:05
Knobby - it's still very early days.

I'll almost certainly be there, but group rules won't let me book the aircraft more than a month in advance, even if my calendar was that well organised, which it isn't!

FFF
--------------

Flyin'Dutch'
15th Jul 2003, 13:02
KK,

You have forced my hand, but may not be able to arrive until mid afternoon as I am still down to work part of the day.

FD

BRL
15th Jul 2003, 15:02
For those of you interested, the Speedtwin may well be there. I have been in touch and they are working on a new wing. If it gets sorted in time they will bring it along. :ok:

BRL
17th Jul 2003, 21:20
Back to the top........

Warped Factor
17th Jul 2003, 22:39
Will add myself to the list, but only as a possible at the moment, DHC-1 from EGLM all being well.

WF.

FlyingForFun
21st Jul 2003, 17:22
Unfortunately, my Europa recently left the side of the runway and the undercarriage got bent as a result :( Even more unfortunately, it was me at the controls when it happened :{

The repairs to the Europa are being combined with a 50-hour check and a Permit renewal, so it will be a little while before it's flying again. Still hoping to make it to Compton Abbas, although there's a chance that I will be relegated to either a Cessna or else arriving by car - it depends how long we have to wait for parts to arrive, and how long it takes to complete the work after that.

Well, I'll see you all there one way or the other! :ok:

FFF
--------------

buzzc152
21st Jul 2003, 18:20
Still 1 spare seat at Shoreham.

AerBabe
21st Jul 2003, 18:40
FFF - I think that's what's referred to as an Arrival, rather than a Landing. ;) Shame you didn't get any photos.

SW

Taildragger
22nd Jul 2003, 05:49
Hope to be there guys/guyesses. One word of warning....
On 26 if the wind is from the South be VERY aware of the curlover from the trees on the Southern side. I understand there was an accident there last year due this, and I came out of there yesterday with a 12-15 kt wind only and the turbulence and control difficulties were bad bad bad. Just be aware of it and all will be well....otherwise a lovely field, with a lovely atmosphere, lots of visitors by road with families for lunch and gorgeous ladies behind the restaurant counter. Don't forget the "Blue Max" Museum too.
This is also another of those airfields, like Cromer, which is an absolute blood.y sh1tty place to spot...especially approaching from the South/Southwest/Southeast..... even fromt heEast...come to think of it...it is just plain difficult to see. It has a strobe on the tree line on the South Side of the field, which MAY help. Avoid Madonna's pad....she diinae like hairyplanes.!!

pulse1
22nd Jul 2003, 16:00
Taildragger,

If you fly a taildragger Cessna, I suspect that I watched your T/O yesterday and wondered what you were doing. Ten minutes later I followed you and found out. Very interesting.

Still, it can be even more interesting landing on 08 in similar conditions - be very prepared to use power in the final stages of the approach and flare.

P1

Kolibear
30th Jul 2003, 19:48
back to the top......

BlueRobin
30th Jul 2003, 23:10
Candidate for a "sticky"?

BRL
31st Jul 2003, 01:33
Give us a few days to sticky it. I have only just finished spring cleaning up at the top and want to admire it for a while.. ;):}

QDMQDMQDM
10th Aug 2003, 03:31
I've booked myself in, but also have a date at Dunkeswell that day and also it's the Henstridge vintage fly-in, which I feel one ought to support, so don't know if I will make it. Will try, though.

David

knobbygb
10th Aug 2003, 05:36
Northern Highflyer can't make it, so anybody else up for a cost-share in a Robin from Sherburn? I'm quite happy to take a non-pilot and do all the flying, or to pick somebody up close to the route (Sherburn - Wolverhampton - Gloucester - Bath - CA)

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Aug 2003, 05:36
Sorted out work (that is have to be on-call until 1130) and congressional approval so that just leaves the weather to get sorted.

FD

LowNSlow
11th Aug 2003, 14:11
I won't be able to make it as I'm going back to work for 28 days tomorrow :ooh: :mad:

Wycombe
15th Aug 2003, 05:58
....unfortunately I've had to back out aswell, due to a family commitment (made all 4 other Pprune Fly-in's so far, so muchly disappointed :{ :{ )

Hopefully Brooklands will still be there if he can find someone to share the trip.

Whirlybird
16th Aug 2003, 01:56
knobby,

Unless I get any last minute rotary students (instructing is taking priority right now), and chance you could pick me up at Sleap? I can get to Wolverhampton if necessary, but Sleap is easier.

knobbygb
16th Aug 2003, 16:20
Whirly, sorry I've just agreed to take a student from Sherburn who I've been meaning to fly with for a while, otherwise I'd have been glad to. If he changes his mind, you'll be the first to know. Sorry again.

Saab Dastard
16th Aug 2003, 18:33
WX permitting, I will have a seat going from Fairoaks, if anyone is interested.

SD

Whirlybird
18th Aug 2003, 19:45
I still need a lift.:{ Despite being able to fly all sorts of aircraft, and theoretically having access to them at three airfields, I simply cannot get hold of anything for a full day...and it's a long way to Compton. Happy to share costs - and flying if you like - if anyone can pick me up at Welshpool, Sleap, Hawarden, Liverpool, or Wolverhampton.

I'm gonna buy my own aircraft....soon!!!!!!!!

LowNSlow
19th Aug 2003, 14:05
BRL if the Phillips Speedtwin is at Compton, please, please, please take pics from all sides and post them here.

Any info you can get on it would be gratefully received by me and a few others.

BRL
19th Aug 2003, 21:41
LnS Check your pm's........
I am just about to e-mail Malc to see if they will be there after sorting out the new wing for it. I will let you know soon.

paulc
19th Aug 2003, 22:14
were any Pruners taking part in the aerobatics last weekend ? very impressive considering the windy conditions.

Managed to get a few pics of Pitts/Extra/Cap etc - they will be online somewhere soon.

Evo
20th Aug 2003, 00:14
Met is looking good for the weekend, get plogging Speedy... :ok:

Warped Factor
21st Aug 2003, 23:46
Unfortunately the Chipmunk is in bits at the moment, so I'll have to withdraw.

WF.

Mike Cross
22nd Aug 2003, 05:09
If you see this come and say hello
http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/btch4a.jpg

Mike

Brooklands
22nd Aug 2003, 21:26
Looks as though I may not make it. I can't seem to find anybody who wants to fly with me :{ :{

Whirlybird
23rd Aug 2003, 00:43
Brooklands,

I'll fly with you. Unfortunately I'm not on your route. :{ Oh well, I guess it'sgoing to be a non-flying weekend. :(

Speedbird252
23rd Aug 2003, 05:37
Hey Evo, were are plogged and ready for action. All done on the plog and the chart, just gotta stick the wind calcs in over a cuppa at the clubhouse in the morning.

That doesnt include any changes you may decide to make due to my incompetence.....

gard dammit......

See ya in the morn..

Speedy:ok:

Nice reg Mike, is that a handling thing or an owner thing?

;)

Speedy:ok:

Mike Cross
23rd Aug 2003, 06:36
Neither, she's very well behaved (well, most of the time)

See you tomorrow

Mike:D

knobbygb
23rd Aug 2003, 14:08
Weather up North is pretty crappy. About 1500M in mist, ceiling 500ft. We're right under that front that's been sat there for over 24hrs now with no change, so don't expect us any time soon. Still, it's forecast to get better....

Evo
23rd Aug 2003, 14:27
B*gger - i've got to leave at 2 to give the aeroplane back, was hoping to meet a fellow 2160 fan... :(

As an aside, just checked the NOTAMs and ... got EGHR, EGHA and twelve useful en-route NOTAMs (and one about North Sea operations... :) ). Well Done Mike, Rustle et al., you've dunnit :ok:

Evo
24th Aug 2003, 01:04
Well, we nearly made it. Left Goodwood at 12 in the hope that Compton's 500-700ft cloudbase would improve as TAF'd, and got as far as Stoney Cross before bad viz, rain, lowering cloud and rising ground made us divert to Bembridge and the Crab & Lobster ... where we had blue skies and light winds :confused:

Oh well, better to be safe than sorry. Hope others made it OK...

Speedbird252
24th Aug 2003, 02:58
made us divert to Bembridge and the Crab & Lobster ... where we had blue skies and light winds

...and gammon egg and chips :)

knobbygb
24th Aug 2003, 04:40
Just got back from Sherburn after a day of local flying. Didn't want to risk the poor weather this morning and it wasn't slated to impove until early afternoon (as it did) so would have had to leave soon after getting there. Did many others make it?

Still had a great days flying - saw some great aeros by some French guy who's a world champion or somthing in Tom Cassells Cap 232 at Bagby. Visited Eddsfield (http://www.eastyorkshire.co.uk/eddsfield/index.htm) in north Yorkshire - most friendly airfield I've ever been to - would make a great fly-in venue (they have bbq pits under the trees and even a caravan with bunks for pilots overnighting). Visited ex WWII field at North Coates and then finally got to go to Skegness and land in the middle of a campsite - kids and dogs all over the runway and kite-flyers on short final! My most surreal aviation image to date - a tent pitched right on the runway threshold with a fat woman in a pink bikini stood outside doing the ironing! Honest!

Anyway, wish I'd got to the fly-in but a good day anyway. Perhaps next time.

Mike Cross
24th Aug 2003, 04:55
You missed a good day. I think 8 of us made it. I arrived at 12:40 to find Saab Dastard already there together with Singapore Girl and Mr & Mrs Helen D, Kolibear arrived later with others who will no doubt fill in their names later.

There was a very smart Tiger Moth giving rides. One passenger seemed to thoroughly enjoy the aeros, which included a good long mult-turn spin.

Weather was so good we had to move the tables out of the sun. I took Jenni, who has been told to give up dangerous sports (Motor Racing) and is thinking of taking up flying. She has had one trial lesson so I let her fly most of the way there.

Will try posting some pics later.

Mike

Kolibear
24th Aug 2003, 04:59
Welll, FFF & I made it, eventually :) unfortunately eveepee blew us out as she had to work, much to her disgust :(

I left North Weald at 9:30 and routed BNN & Wycombe to pick up FFF at White Waltham. We departed west into good weather and after Boscombe failed to answer our calls, flew over Chilbolton and into lowering cloud at Salisbury. At this point we decided a divert was in order & dropped into Old Sarum for tea and lunch. The weather improved and we were soon on our way again. After a short flight we arrived at Compton, the approach to 26 reminds me of Elstree as the ground slopes up towards the threshold giving a false indication height.

HelenD & Mr HelenD were there, with Saab Dastard & friend, Mr & Mrs mcross and another pair of ppruners whose names I forget, sorry!!. We had a really good time, FFF claims the record for the cheapest round ever - 5 pints of water & a Coke! There were many interesting aircraft flying about, A Yak 52, a Robin and a pearlescent Rans.

Eventually, we all decided that it was time to leave and FFF & I departed roughly NE towards Salisbury. Farnborough Radar left me open-mouthed with the amount of traffic they handled, but FFF assured me that it was normal. The Vis. was superb, we could see the Solent & IOW andWhite Waltham appeared on time and I left FFF there. The trip back to North Weald was uneventful, it was an afternoon to enjoy a easy flight back to base.

Big Thanks to FFF for helping me on my first trip to the west of London, I learnt a lot. But as he said to me, if he had to fly in Essex, he probably be as unsure as I was in his 'home patch'

Look forward to the next one and to seeing the photos.

Saab Dastard
24th Aug 2003, 05:16
Thoroughly good day -

Great seeing all who made it - sorry you couldn't get through EVO - it wasn't the weather really, was it - Solent wouldn't let you through. ;) We got there earlier or would have found the same crud as you did.

Left Fairoaks With Singapore Girl @ 09:10Z in reasonable weather, but found lowering but patchy cloud down around the S coast. Routed via Thorney & Hayling Island (where I enjoyed a great holiday 2 weeks ago) for some sightseeing then via Portsmouth to Beaulieu and Stoney cross.

Had to drop down to about 1700 on the QNH from time to time, and kept a careful lookout behind to check we weren't getting boxed in by the weather, but the cloudbase continued to hold up at around 1800 all the way to Compton.

With SG's excellent navigation and my excellent flying (ahem!) we made it to where Compton Abbas should have been, exactly on time - except it WASN'T THERE! :eek:

Some mean bu**er had moved it about 10 miles NE, or maybe it was NW. Or possibly SE. or W. So an interesting 10-15 minutes or so ensued while we searched for it - while dodging in and out of the base of the clouds.

Anyway, find it we did - just as well, I was dying for a pee!

Everything after that was great - good landing, good food, good company, good weather, lots of interesting aicraft coming and going in front of us. Bliss.

Oh, yes - FFF got in the world's cheapest round when he brought back 7 pints of WATER (and a coke) to the table. I'm sure someone has a photo of it - publish please!

Great flight back, no probs.

What a super day! :) :ok:

Thanks SG

SD

HelenD
24th Aug 2003, 06:14
I had a great day arriving just before 13:00. The landing was very good. Could not find Mere though so I ended up south of Compton but we spotted the strobe OK. Mike Saab Dastard and Singapore gire were already there and we all had lunch before Koolibear turned up with FFF. The weather wasnt brilliant but it wasnt unflyable either. I diddnt get above 2000ft but I diddnt need to go below 1700ft either except while in the Southampton zone. It was great to see everyone.

Mike Cross
24th Aug 2003, 07:06
Kolibear
HelenD & Mr HelenD were there, with Saab Dastard & friend, Mr & Mrs mcross You trying to get me into trouble? That was Jenni and my wife's called Jacqui!:uhoh:

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1567.JPG
Jenni, Singapore Girl and HelenD

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1568.JPG
Mr HelenD & Saab Dastard

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1569.JPG
The Swansea contingent, names please as my memory is :mad:

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1571.JPG
HelenD

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1573.JPG
The ladies looking at Kolibear expectantly??

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1575.JPG
It's a long way back to Swansea!

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1576.JPG
Ditto!

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1577.JPG
Couldn't resist this, SEXX with the BTCH!

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1578.JPG
FFF - "Show me the way to go home"

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1579.JPG
Kolibear's Pride and Joy

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1580.JPG
FFF and Kolibear

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1581.JPG
Going back to Wales

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/DSCF1582.JPG
New pilot!

The rest are on my film camera and will have to wait till I go to Boots.
If anyone wants prints e-mail me the address and I'll oblige.

Mike

LowNSlow
24th Aug 2003, 13:07
Looks and sounds like a good time was had by all, even those who didn't make it :ok:

knobbygb you should have done a go around, got the camera out and got a pic of the ladie with the ironinbg board :E

I see the grub is still good at Compton judging by the scoff the Swansea lads are getting tucked into. Yum. Nice to see more civilised people from the Land of My Fathers with a nice civilised Auster!

PS why were you landing on a campsite :confused:

simonh11
24th Aug 2003, 16:29
Apologies to those that were there yesterday. I did make it but could only stay for 10 mins, so I didn't get a chance to say hi :( Had to dash back to Bournemouth to return the plane.

Hopefully next time.

Simon

singaporegirl
24th Aug 2003, 18:41
Nice to meet everyone and top up my tan! Good pix Mike, and good flying SD. (And good job we had enough fuel for the extra 15 minutes 'hold' at Compton Abbas! Those sick bags you thoughtfully brought along nearly found an alternative use...they are waterproof, aren't they?! :uhoh: )

Kolibear
25th Aug 2003, 06:08
OOOpppps!! :O sorry mcross! Honest mistrake to make!

Excellent photos of The Koli, it was a bit of a Rallye-fest with two Rallyes and a Koliber together.

Hi to Singapore Girl, I don't think we've met, but eveepee has mentioned you to me and I know she would have like to have seen you again.

singaporegirl
25th Aug 2003, 06:15
Kolibear Tell eveepee from me that she musn't give up flying - she'll regret it the rest of her life if she does. (And she won't be allowed to come to any more bashes...;) )

eveepee
25th Aug 2003, 06:22
Sounds like I missed a really good day...bl**dy work ...but glad you all enjoyed it; sorry to have missed you all...roll on the next Fly-In.

Great photos, but what were the ladies expecting Kolibear ?:confused: FFF had the best view !:D

Flyin'Dutch'
25th Aug 2003, 07:26
Despite careful planning and good weather, yet again did not make it to a bash!

Was doing an all day IFR trip and with work commitments from 1900 onwards unable to stop off at Compton Abbas.

Seem to have missed a good meet.

May be next time!

FD

singaporegirl
26th Aug 2003, 03:42
If I remember rightly, Kolibear had just offered to show us his appendix scar...:ooh:

Windy Militant
26th Aug 2003, 16:28
Hello all,
A jolly afternoon, sitting in the sun watching the Tigermoth do it's stuff and the Hawk scaring the pigeons. The Sausage bagettes were nearly as good as the company.
One slight point myself and A Pommie are good old Wiltshire boys and we flew in from Oaksey park in Gloucestershire where the Auster's based not Swansea!:ok:

LowNSlow
26th Aug 2003, 17:53
Windy it's OK, you and A_Pommie can be honorary Taffs! Afterall, didn't Gloucestershire used to be in Wales a few (hundred) years ago! :uhoh:

Mike Cross
26th Aug 2003, 18:45
Told you my memory was :mad:

Tell me which is who in the pics and I'll amend the captions.

Flew over Oaksey Park yesterday on my way between Popham and Nympsfield. Remarkably quiet it seemed!

Mike

A_Pommie
26th Aug 2003, 18:58
Mike

It's an easy mistake to make as Windy is very welsh even if he's not from Swansea. We're easy to tell apart Windy's welsh with big hair and I'm not welsh but fat!

As has been said above a great day out with fine people and good food.

Mike Cross
27th Aug 2003, 00:08
Aargh! PPRuNe Towers won't let me edit the post so my geographic ineptitude will remain for all to see.

Sorry chaps!

Mike

BRL
27th Aug 2003, 00:16
Ahh, I see what you mean Mike. I just tried being clever editing the names and I probably got the same error message as you...!!!

FlyingForFun
27th Aug 2003, 00:31
A huge thanks to Kolibear for providing me with a chariot for the day while the Europa is awaiting permission to go flying again!

Was a fun day out, pity the weather kept a few people away but those who did make it had a good time. Old Sarum is a wonderful little airport. Both Kolibear and I were too hungry to wait for lunch, so we enjoyed a very tasty Old Sarum sandwich each, which is a pity because the food at Compton Abbas looked very good but neither of us were hungry any more!

Looking forward to the next one! :ok:

FFF
------------

PS - I have a few photos, but my home phone line is down, I'm restricted to PPRuNing at work, and I can't plug my camera in at work. So you'll just have to wait!

Mike Cross
29th Aug 2003, 07:01
Here's some more

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/98260026.jpg
Evidence of that cheap round - 5 pints of water and a coke!

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/98260017.jpg
Kolibear

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/98260027.jpg
Mr & Mrs HelenD preparing to depart

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/98260034.jpg
... and departing

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/98260024.jpg
Singapore Girl

http://michael.cross20.users.btopenworld.com/images/webimages/98260025.jpg
Can't help feeling that there should be a number across the bottom of this photo......

Mike

Saab Dastard
30th Aug 2003, 01:46
I'm NOT a number!

I am a FREE MAN!

I read the NOTAMs and I wasn't anywhere near Elvington, honest Guv

;)

SD

singaporegirl
30th Aug 2003, 04:20
Aaah, SD, so that's what that funny little suit with the arrows was on the back seat! And you told me that the earth in your turn-ups was cos you'd been harvesting your potatoes...:E