PDA

View Full Version : Aerial photography from a 172

bcfc
12th Jun 2003, 22:01
Anyone tried this?

I have a friend big into photography who wants me to take her up to do some aerial stuff.

I assumed I'd need to yaw to the right a bit to keep the slipstream down so the window won't smack around but then how to keep it open.

Advice appreciated.

-bcfc

Circuit Basher
12th Jun 2003, 22:28
If I wasn't the shy retiring type that I am (quiet at the back there!), and we were anywhere near JetBlast, I'd maybe put lurid interpretations on the who wants me to take her up to do some aerial stuff bit. ;) :O :mad:

There are people like formationfoto who I am sure will offer oodles of techie toggie stuff, but from experience (and the fact that I know someone local who does aerial toggie work in C150 / 172s), there's no problem. There are some who just lean out of the window and do it that way, or you can prop the window open. I don't think the 172 is approved for flying doorless, but I doubt you really need that. Go for it and hope you get into the 1500 ft high club!! ;)

Dude~
12th Jun 2003, 22:30
Do a search. Someone eles asked the exact question before.
Also read the Poh. It clearly states that the airflow will hold the window open and is certified up to 100kts or so. It is also known that if you remove the strut, the window opens fully flat with the underside of the wing allowng photographer to hang out more.

Doorless is fine in a C172, I've flown a 172 jump plane with 1 door off. Bit noisey though. Plus you might need a 'chute, plus if it a club plane then no chance me thinks.

Oh and I wouldn't do anything silly with the rudder if I were you, its only a window. No need to fly sideways.

bcfc
12th Jun 2003, 22:43
CB - Thanks for the advice and erm...no. Bless her she very nice...but no. :ooh:

Dude~ - Tks also. I've only opened the window once before and t'was a b*gger to shut. Won't try doorless. Its a sydicate 172 but I don't think the others would approve just for a few Kodak moments. Also, did a search but couldn't find anything relevant.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Jun 2003, 23:15
Like Dude, I've flown a 172 loads of time minus the RH door while para dropping. Bloody cold in winter!

I dont fancy flying it with the strut removed, though ;~))

SSD

Dude~
13th Jun 2003, 00:08
Here you go, searched for 'Aerial photography'!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87569&highlight=window

:cool:

bcfc
13th Jun 2003, 00:39
:O

(and I work in software with natural language processing technologies - i.e., a search engine!)

poetpilot
13th Jun 2003, 21:18
I think on the "doorless" theme you may have to have approval for flight with door removed in the aircraft's POH or as an addition to the CoFA. Mine has it, as it was once used for parrott-dropping...

... I meant paradropping of course ! :p

FormationFlyer
14th Jun 2003, 03:06
Oh and my word of advice is

Get some formation flight training before you doing *anything*.

I heard one very worrying air-to-air photo meet up the other day - having seen it from the air Im surprised they didnt hit each other - stupidity without formation experience.

And if you dont have formation experience - DONT TEACH YOURSELF.

My I remind readers to a recent issue of GASIL regarding one air-to-air photo shoot over stutgart......the result wasnt pleasant - a result of a lack of formation experience.

Failing that have fun and enjoy - but FLY THE A/C - thats more important than pratting about looking at how great the shot is.....:{

P.S. Due to recent experience please remind the leader about the need for lookout....I have 2 spare airprox forms in the cockpit with me at ALL times now :uhoh:

formationfoto
14th Jun 2003, 04:00
I won't offer all the technical stuff then (thanks circuit basher :-)).
We use a 152 a lot and 172 when available. Both perfectly good aircrfat for air to air and air to ground providing the speed range is right for subject aircraft. The main issue is keeping the lens still when poking it out through the window. Shorter lenses can sit inside the cabin but look through the open window. Rather depends on what the subject is.

Would repeat the advice given here that formation experience is a must for both the lead (usually camera ship) and the subject ship if you are going to be getting within range for a decent air to air. And don't be afraid to abort the sortie if for whatever reason the formation isn't working out.

Learning about positioning for photographs at the same time as learnong to formate is a real killer.