PDA

View Full Version : digital still cameras

lszh16
14th Sep 2000, 15:18
Hi,

Are digital still cameras (such as the Nikon Coolpix series) classified as other electronic devices which must be switched off at take off and landing? If not, should they be?

lszh

CaptainSandL
15th Sep 2000, 01:49
As long as they don't transmit RF, which I doubt a camera does, then I can't see a problem.

NIMBUS
16th Sep 2000, 07:02
Some airlines, or at least airline staff!, are very picky when it comes to cameras on board. I was asked to destroy any rolls of film which may have contained images of staff or aircraft interior. I had the impression I was asked, but if I refused they would be confiscated anyway! This was a BA flight in the Far East about 12 months ago. Anyone else had this experience?

Tartan Giant
16th Sep 2000, 12:50
Nimbus,
I hope you did not destroy that film of yours !
There are no laws or rules that BA can enforce which allows them to order anybody to destroy film "which may have contained images of staff or aircraft interior".
That self-made rule is utter BS.

It is not the airlines themselves, or even the airline staff, that make the laws governing photography from aircraft, but the country over which the aircraft flies.
Airline staff try to enforce these laws as best they can.
Without taking cameras away from passengers when they board, I can't see how anybody can efficiently prevent unlawful use - passengers carried 330, say 300 with a camera, say cabin crew 14, how do you stop 300 shutters clicking away through the windows ?

As you may be aware there are laws, made by the country over which you may be flying (or indeed on the ground at the airport) that prohibit the taking of any photographs of that country for security reasons.
That may have been the cabin-staffs incentive to ask you to destroy your film.

If the crew do not tell you, by a general announcement on the PA, that due to security reasons, photography is forbidden at the present time, then they have failed you.

In my experience, CC are too busy, or lack the knowledge, about when and where airborne photographs may or may not be allowed.

I used to make the announcements myself, as CC management briefs failed to cover such items time and time again.

It may surprise you to know that even in Europe there are still many countries that are very 'funny' about aerial (or indeed ground) photography.
Before I retired, my list of "No Aerial Photos" included, Spain..Italy..Luxemburg..Malta..Portugal..Austria..Belgium.. Turkey..Greece..Israel.

World-wide, I dare say the list has changed due to wars and other reasons.

BA have a "Rule Book" called Flight Crew Orders which contain all the info on such things (and everything else).

Before your next pushback, ask the crew if there are any countries enroute that prohibit aerial photography !

SLB
16th Sep 2000, 16:19
>>Are digital still cameras (such as the Nikon Coolpix series) classified as other electronic devices which must be switched off at take off and landing? If not, should they be?<<

Don't know how they are classified, but they should fall in the same class as a computer, CD player, tape player, etc. While it certainly is not designed to broadcast RF, it does emit low level RF just like the others mentioned.