PDA

View Full Version : DHC Chipmonk Anyone got one

cubby
7th Jun 2003, 06:10
Hi all,
Just doing some investigation on the DHC1 Chipmonk

Can someone tell me the rough operating cost per hour.
IE fuel, oil, maintainance, engine fund, insurance(public CofA)
Not including landing fees or hangering or the pilot.

And
Can someone send me some pictures of one.?

And
Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Thanks guys
Cubby

fireflybob
7th Jun 2003, 07:27
I am not in a position to answers your questions but I can tell you that it is the most fun aeroplane I have ever had the pleasure to fly.

Oh, and by the way, Chipmunk is spelled with a 'u' and not an 'o'!

Firkin L
7th Jun 2003, 08:18
Running costs for private cat aircraft about £75-80 per hour, wet, not including hangarage based on 100 hours per year.

Several advertised in Pilot each month from 27k upwards if you want to buy one. If you are buying check the fatigue life VERY carefully and make sure the u/c castings aren't cracked.

Lots of Chipmunk photos on www.fandh-aircraft.co.uk/chipmunk

MAJIC9
7th Jun 2003, 11:52
I can only offer some pics :)

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/349566/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/349267/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/349001/L/

HTH.

stiknruda
7th Jun 2003, 17:14
Lovely aircraft with probably the most harmonious controls that I have ever flown - simple aeros are a delight.

The braking system became second nature very quickly. The RAF handling notes dictate that that you select 3 clicks on the brakes as part of pre-landing checks. I must admit that I found it easier not to select any and only pull the brake lever back when I wanted.

There is an engine oil conrol ring (piston ring) mod available and I would recommend that you buy one with this already done as they do have a tendency to drink oil because of the inverted engine....

the example that I used to regularly fly was range constrained by oil consumption rather than fuel consumption! Engine overhauls are very very expensive - my last quote was £18k but this did include the ring mod.

A few hours of circuits flying from the rear seat behind a burly bloke is great preparation for single seat Pitts flying!

When you buy one can I please have a go?

Stik

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Jun 2003, 17:55
Best handling aeroplane I've ever flown by far. Agree with Stik about delightful simple aeros - so graceful! Also about the brakes - putting any on before landing restricts the rudder movement. I prefer to have full rudder available and if I need the help of brakes in the roll out, 2 fingers of the left hand can gently pull the lever back as required to give brake on which ever side I've got the rudder pressed.

They are military aeroplanes so very sturdily constructed (few if any corrosion problems), but the downside is that maintenance can be expensive since they are not easy to work on. Some parts quite rare and therefore expensive, too.

It's an aeroplane of great character, great fun to fly, ideal for strips and fly-ins and aeros, but due lack of luggage space and limited range it's no tourer. And you get your hands dirty.

For me, it's the tops.

SSD

salt
8th Jun 2003, 05:28
:D
Being a Chipmunk owner for the last 15 months I cannot say anything but the best Aircraft for the money.

We have toured in ours and continue to do so. Packing is an artform.

We have done in the region of 200 hours in the Chippy and every one of them better than the last I use it to commute, Aero, Tour, and training.

Be very carefull on the AD and TNS state of the aircraft you are looking at. Running costs over the hours we have flown are very reasonable.

Landing is simple (No Brakes preset), but pedal it to the end of the rollout or you will go around in one slow circle!

Engine is magic. Oil ring mod is a must, and ours is around 1900 hours and still going strong. A long warm up and cool down run is required to look after the alloy expensive heads.

the only improvment on the current aircraft could be another 20HP and wheels that disappear!

2 models of fuel tank are fitted. One giving 3 hours and the other giving 1 1/2 hours. Later is a bit restricting I would think.

Have a very thorough look at the log books. The wrong machine could be devastating to the bank account.

Happy flying and will see you at one of the many meets with one of the undiscovered lower cost gems of the historic plane world
:ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Jun 2003, 08:00
2 models of fuel tank are fitted. One giving 3 hours and the other giving 1 1/2 hours. Later is a bit restricting I would think.

Standard (smallest) tanks are 9 gallons per side, 18 total, just about all usuable. At 6 galls per hour (which you'll get if not aerobatting, else it might reach 7 ;~), that's 2.5 hours safe, not 1.5.

It's still not a lot. But 1.5 would be pretty impracticle.

SSD

niknak
8th Jun 2003, 08:13
There are three of them sitting on the grass G/A park at Norwich, 2 problems though -

1) None of them have flown for about 18 months, although they have been outside for the entire time they have been covered and have flap locks in etc.

2) They each have Liens from the Airport Authority stuck to their airframes, prohibiting their movement, due to non payments of fees to whoever for whatever ( a lot of politics I understand).

Wide-Body
9th Jun 2003, 17:15
Hi Cubby

Operating a Chippy is a huge variable feast. I own one and help run another.

Firstly the DOC’s Fuel 7-8 gph (30=35 lph), this is dependant on how you fly it and what type of prop you have. Oil is between 0.5 1.5 lph dependant on engine condition. They don’t call it a dripsy Major for nothing. Add £5-7 per hour for the 50-hour check.

Fixed running costs.

Star annual £1900 + Vat

Annual £1200 + Vat

On top of this there are the TNS (Technical news sheets) (ADD’s by any other name). Inspections take about 25 man-hours + x-ray fees (£600) every 3 years approx. The good news is that De Havilland support has taken over the issuing of the TNS from British Wasteofspace. They are looking at cancelling some of the more ridiculous ones.

Insurance is £1200-£1800 depending on experience levels for private cat. Very brave people operate these on Public CAT and expect to make money.

The big downside is the engine expect to pay £13000-£18000 for a rebuild. TBO generally 1500 hours. Expect a Top (bottom being an inverted engine) at 800-1000 hrs. (£4000-£6000) If on private CofA this can be extended on condition. Mag overhauls at £600 each, Carb £1000 –Vintech. As was previously stated look after the engine and 2000 hours can be achieved. I am looking at getting a ZERO time done in the good old USA or South Africa. Any help their readers please let me know.

When purchasing a Chippy it is a MUST that the TNS’s have been completed. Check fatigue figures. Watch engine compressions, cracks in the castings (although if there is X ray history of them not growing it is not bad----------------allegedly). The fabric condition is important. It will cost about £9000 for a recover re-spray. Now the Chippy is a 50-year-old aircraft and even if the mechanicals are superb they wear out. Examples are flap brackets, wheel bearings or anything that moves. Before purchasing take a good engineer to have a look at her.

Finally get some lessons from a pilot who knows her.

Good luck in trying to find a good one they are about. Pilot or the Chipmunk club (0208 954 5080) are good starters. I love my aircraft; of all the types I have flown the Chippy is the most satisfying light aircraft. You can tour in her (adapt the seat cushions to accept your clothes). Aerobatics are a delight. And when someone comes up and say their first flight was in one and you can share your enthusiasm it makes the whole thing worthwhile. Any questions PM me and I will send you my main e-mail address.

Regards

Wide

:ok: :ok:

stiknruda
9th Jun 2003, 17:23
WB - I had a long and v informative chat with Cyril Strecker (Streckers) at Rand Airport in Jan 01 regarding the viability of sending him 2 out of time gypsies for overhaul.

We never did the deed but IIRC he was quoting something in the region of £8k. The exchange rate has softened since then so this price might be even more attractive.

Streckers are the acknowledged S African TigerMoth experts and do turn out beautiful aeroplanes albeit with tailwheels and brakes!

Stik

Wide-Body
10th Jun 2003, 05:20
Thanks Stik

I am in HKG til Wed. Will PM you on my return (I am lucky to have a cheap cargo allowance). I should also have The BTUM pilots no by then.

Regards

Wide

Dan Winterland
10th Jun 2003, 06:12
Myself and a mate had a look at starting a Chipmunk syndicate recently. We have postponed the idea for varous reasons. But our impression of the aircraft on the market were that they either had high engine hours or outstanding TNSs and/or needed a recover. Chipmunk ownership was not going to be cheap.

Shame really, we both have experience of the Chippy in the military and love the thing. It's the nicest handling light aircraft ever built. However, we are going to look at other aircraft as well when our fortunes change.

Lowtimer
10th Jun 2003, 19:13
SSD -
It's still not a lot. But 1.5 would be pretty impracticle
It would be a Yak!;) A friend got through 75 litres in 55 mins yesterday aerobating ours. In contrast I flew a Chippie yesterday, by coincidence, and used about 3 galls for 35 mins airborne, 45 mins chock to chock, including some gentle aeros. Still love both types, though!

Flying Boat
10th Jun 2003, 19:17
Cubby

Check your PMs

FB

Census boy
19th Jun 2003, 16:02
If anyone is interested there's a Chipmunk coming up for sale at Lee-on-the-Solent airfield. Suggest contacting [email protected] for further details.

LowNSlow
19th Jun 2003, 19:10
Also check that the main spar attachment brackets are steel not aluminium as the latter are lifed and you will need new wings when they pass their limit. The steel ones are just subject to an annual(?) inspection.

A friend of mine has just discovered the above to the very large detrement to his wallet.......Log books looked OK when he checked them.......:hmm:

BeauMan
20th Jun 2003, 06:03
I don't have one, but I'd dearly love to. As Wide-Body said: "And when someone comes up and say their first flight was in one and you can share your enthusiasm it makes the whole thing worthwhile".

Well, my first flight was indeed in a Chippy, as a 13 year old Air Cadet flying out of Manston. For half an hour we tootled around over south east Kent and I vividly remember being overhead Dover, and realising that in 1940 this patch of sky had been the most dangerous place on earth. And there I was, in a single piston engined RAF aeroplane 42 years later. It was the stuff that dreams are made of.

She was WB569, and she's still knocking around today at Duxford, I think owned now by ARCo. I just wonder whether they'd ever consider selling her to me, or at least letting me have another go for old times sake... ;)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Jun 2003, 18:48
"And when someone comes up and say their first flight was in one and you can share your enthusiasm it makes the whole thing worthwhile".

Yes, every where you go cameras click and people are interested in the aeroplane and come out to see it. There are loads of photos of our own SL on the web. It's a special aeroplane that evokes a special response - please forgive me for re-posting another 'Chippy Moment' which I recently posted in the 'best flying moment' thread:

Flying down the Manch LLR with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight coming the other way. Manch askes:

"SL, do you have the BBMF in sight?"

"Affirm. A Lancaster with a Hurricane on one wingtip and a Spit on the other, in my 11 o'clock".

"Memorial flight, do you have SL in sight?"

"Yes, we have the Chippy"

Whereupon the Spit on the LH wingtip peeled off, did a lovely barrell roll, and re-positioned on the wingtip as we passed.

One ex-RAF taildargger acknowleging another. A magic moment!

SSD

BlueRobin
20th Jun 2003, 23:13
Here's Shaggy's Chip at Weelsbourne a fortnight ago, driven by the Hairy One.

http://www.avsoft.co.uk/shuttle/bcsl.jpg

I think the best example I've seen of late is the one in yellow canadian airfoce colours at Old Warden. New panel, nice paintwork.

Also my fave type to watch aerobatting. Always draws a gasp form the crowd when the engine pops and sounds like it has stopped :D

Neil

There're also good for short strip work apparently. Must be that lack of fuel. One of Shaggy's group (NB) is an airstrip nut. Met him last week at Hus Bos. How many strips has he done so far?

ratsarrse
21st Jun 2003, 00:51
The Chipmunk has to take a large chunk of the blame for me wanting to spend all my cash on flying. An air experience flight at Cambridge, with some gentle aeros thrown in for good measure, sowed the seeds that are only now coming into fruition.

If any kind-hearted soul with a Chippy would like to give this student ppl a spin one day, they would earn my lifelong gratitude! And maybe even beer...:)

BeauMan
22nd Jun 2003, 19:40
Seems to me that De Havilland's finest (the Mossie notwithstanding!) is responsible for quite a few of us having developed an incurable love of flying. So far that's me and ratsaarse who've admitted that our first ever flights were in AEF Chippies - just out of interest, any others out there who share the distinction...?

Circuit Basher
23rd Jun 2003, 15:02
Me sir!!! ;)

Lost count of how many AEF Chippy flights I had - was an Air Cadet for 7 years, so was at the front of the queue whenever flying got mentioned! Also flew in the Husky at Cambridge - not a patch on the Chippy! Then as ATC staff, waited years to get my first Bulldog flight and it was a goody! Still waiting for a Tutor flight - I'll get there one day!

First 3 odd hours of my PPL were in a Chippy as well - prolly about an hour of that was trying to get the hang of taxying the beast! ;)

bcfc
23rd Jun 2003, 18:28
My first flight was in a Chippy but not an AEF - just a joyride with my wifes cousin who has a share in one.

If you we're in Royston on Saturday evening, t'was me overhead having another go and getting in a few aeros. They weren't very good but said wife still had to slap me to remove the inane grin.

Lovely aircraft, gorgeous engine sound and an honour to fly.

EEJay
23rd Jun 2003, 18:52
First flight in an Avro Anson (shows my age!!), second in Chipmunk. Aerobatics on my birthday - an experience never to be forgotton.

I now fly a Pup.