PDA

View Full Version : tenerife

malc4d
7th Jun 2003, 01:26
is there any flight training / rental in tenerife ?
anyone know

Flying surfer
10th Jun 2003, 16:08
There are. Tenerife has 2 airports the main one is in the south where I think there is a school and the other one in the north there are 2, possibly 3 schools. Expect to pay at least 170 Euros + /hr for a PA28.

Some of the Spanish FTO who are based in Madrid use the Canaries for their training as the weather there is pretty good all year round.

malc4d
14th Jun 2003, 03:00
Thanks for info flying surfer
checked out the north airport today and after about 1 hour of asking and looking found the correct airport entrance - loads of fenced off empty parking and none for the flight school or the areoclub ???????? had to park outside on a busy roadside and walk back to school.
School dosn't do rental or siteseeing flights said go to aeroclub,
aeroclub it seems has onmr tomahawk , one archer and a C172, as you said about 170 euros inc instructor per hour but cant do flights till next week. Off to check out south airport which has a helecopter co. and maybe an aeroclub. Do you have any info about south airport locations to look at ?
Ta

Flying surfer
15th Jun 2003, 06:05
I can't say I do if I remember rightly the GA area is to the NW side of airfield, but I haven't been there for about 5-6 years and can't really remember.

malc4d
20th Jun 2003, 02:11
just checked out south airport and you can do a 40 min flight in a helicopter for about 150 euros or take a flight in a 172 for about 90 euros per person. Havnt done either yet as cloud base a bit low last few days

Flying surfer
20th Jun 2003, 03:52
thats good to know 150 doesn't seem too expensive for a chopper ride:D

Three Mile Final
24th Jun 2003, 20:19
Sorry if I am a bit late on the case. In future for these sorts of questions do a search on "Tenerife" and you'll find my my - and anybody elses - last posts on the subject.

There is a school at Tenerife South run by Lanza Air and I hired a Cessna off them twice at Christmas. Twas EC-GRR a 200 hp Centurion with wobbly prop and is also used for towing the banner up and down at Las Americas. Cost (with one of their guys as a safety pilot) was 210 Euros an hour. They have an office in the Valdez Centre in Los Cristianos and also a web site.

I did two trips, one up the coast to Los Gigantes (where I did all the R/T etc and even got a practice ILS in at GCTS) and the other to Sant Cruz (where the local pilot - a different one - did the R/T). And my JAA PPL meant I got the hours as P1 !!!!

On that occasion I was delighted that the daily BA flight (well GB Air) had to hold short while I landed.

Hope this is some help.

Have just had 2 weeks in Crete and flew a local 152 at Heraklion if anybody is interested in that.

:cool:

bluskis
24th Jun 2003, 23:46
I flew the Lanza Air 172 to Gomera in March, with a safety pilot. They were going to open an office in the land side of the South Airport, and at that time could be contacted through the airport information desk.

The viz wasn't too great but it was an interesting experience.

Make sure they have a life jacket for everyone before you start up.

Three Mile Final
25th Jun 2003, 16:22
Interesting point, we actually didn't have LJs although much of the flying was just parallel to the coast - and to be fair probably the only place to have gone if the donk had quit. Tenerife isn't exactly full of nice flat green pastures.

The depart from GCTS is interesting though to "whiskey" at Cristianos, along the motorway not above 1000 QNH (which is probably about 600 AGL) and between a 1400 ft and a 1200 ft hill.

In Crete last week I had a LJ on, although much of the time I was above 4000 ft (hard work for a 152 in +32 C) to cross the hilly bits of the island (no flat fields there either ! - although greener than Tenerife) and never more that a couple of hundred metres off the coast.

malc4d
4th Jul 2003, 03:51
sorry took so long to answer.
So, office for lanza air is now in the main terminal, last booth by arrivals door. Helicopter tours other end by departures.. sorry to say that when we wanted to go flying the clounds were everywhere --- maybe next time.
Now for news about Florida
Yes l'm here now....
Cant rent anyplanes (SOLO )now at COMAIR (DELTA AT SANFORD) at the moment seems that the cant get insurance anymore ???????
But CAN still rent at Avion Jet centre yippi of to fly (AS SOON AS IT STOPS RAINING AND RAINING AND RAINING