PDA

View Full Version : With an engine or without?

keithleng
7th Jun 2003, 00:28
I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on the pros and cons of doing a PPL course alongside a gliding course.

About 3 weeks ago I did an intensive gliding course and enjoyed it very much. I've have had around 45 flights now. My instructors are enthusiastic, telling me I'm getting close to solo (although personally I feel I'm a little stalled at the moment).

I currently have some spare time on my hands and I'd like to make use of it to do an intensive PPL. The question is whether or not the two different types of flying would complement or interefere with each other.

In the circuit, on a glider, I've been taught to rely more on eyeballs than instruments. However, as a rough guide, the circuit is: High Key Point at 800, Low Key point abeam the landing reference point at around 500, turn onto finals at around 300. Is this similar to the type of circuit I would be doing during the PPL? I'm assuming that there is going to be a kind of rough correlation between the use of the airbrakes on the glider and the throttle on the Cessna (or whatever) during approach and landing.

Anyone have any other thoughts as to whether or not it would be a good idea to try to do both together?

Thanks,
Keith

Chilli Monster
7th Jun 2003, 00:40
As someone who has flown both, and instructed in Gliders I would say - one at a time. They are both different forms of flying which require different disciplines. Unless you've spent all your life in an aviation background and have a solid (like, you eat, breath, sleep and work flying) then you're just going to get confused.

Solo in the glider first, consolidate a bit, then do the PPL - what you learn in Gliding will hold you in good stead.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Jun 2003, 00:41
A few idle thoughts...

- Basic effects of controls are the same.

- Basic airmanship is the same.

- Circuits are a bit different, powered civil aircraft usually fly a rectangular circuit quite different to glider teaching.

- Speeds, attitudes, differ. For that reason I'd be sure you're reasonably happy with one set (say a couple of solo hours) before embarking upon another otherwise you'll just confuse yourself.

- Look at the NPPL options (www.nppl.uk.com), they'll all give cross-credit for glider hours and going for any of the NPPL routes will allow you a license to fly unsupervised sooner. If you are in-love with gliding (and why not!) the NPPL(SLMG) might be the way ahead rather than going SEP (mind you there are a few SEP or microlights out there where the difference from an SLMG is somewhat academic anyway).

G

Miserlou
7th Jun 2003, 06:13
Get solo first on a glider. Maybe get a Bronze C then have a dabble at the PPL.

Those basic fundamentals of gliding are the same for all aircraft and will make you a better and safer pilot when you get a PPL.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!