PDA

View Full Version : Inflight Violence

carlybone
6th Jun 2003, 23:08
While flying in the vicinity of a certain airfield to the north of bristol last weekend I heard an Atco on a certain approach freq threaten to "punch you in the face" to the pilot of, i think a warrior. Can someone please enlighten me as to where i can find this in the phraesology handbook or is there a specific section for ATCOs. Is it standard practice to make insulting or threatening remarks to what was possibly a student, regardless of whatever the provocation maybe. I was shocked by the complete lack of proffesionalism demontrated by this ATCO, especialy at this airfield where my experience has generally been a good one.:oh:

Legs11
7th Jun 2003, 01:43
carlybone, did you hear the whole transmission or just a snippet. What it really a malicious exchange or was there an elemant of banter going on. I cannot imagine any ATCO being so naive or foolish enough to let us all down and say something like that:ugh:

Guessing where you mean, can be only 2 airfields and as I have knowledge of the management at both, I don't think it wil be tolerated were it not in jest. I hope it was:O

Special VFR
7th Jun 2003, 04:15
Hmmm, first post. Spot the troll.

Razors Edge
11th Jun 2003, 21:45
SVFR, I'm sorry what do you mean by Troll? I have made some tentative enquiries amongst friends and it appears that something along these lines did indeed take place at a private company air field in north Bristol. I gather it has been handled internally :suspect: and that's that - it would be a different story I'm sure if the pilot involved were to file an official complaint....I wonder if they are a pruner :hmm:

No excuse for such behaviour, it brings us all down.

granny smith
12th Jun 2003, 03:15
Quote: "I'm sure if the pilot involved were to file an official complaint...."

I would never condone unprofessional behaviour as it brings us all into disrepute. I should know as there a couple of ATCOs who are rude and sometimes abusive on the r/t where I work. However there are usually 2 sides to every story. Presumably the pilot concerned did something to bring about this alleged outburst. Whatever it was I would never say he deserved such treatment but without knowing the full story - and I doubt we will - I don't think we should be too quick to take sides.

I have been on the receiving end of some 'richard-head' pilots in my time and have occasionally seen the red mist but have never succumbed to actually voicing my thoughts on the r/t. :*

Just like everyone else though, I would love to know what actually happened.

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Jun 2003, 03:57
People often get the wrong end of the stick. You don't know - the pilot and ATCO could have been life long buddies bantering with one another.