PDA

View Full Version : Elvington aerodrome

oli carley
5th Jun 2003, 02:21
Im wanting to land at elvington just for a day out maybe go round the museum.

Anyone know the situation on private aircraft landing there. Says in pooleys ppr, but i looked on their website and it showed a fly in in july and almost actively welcomed GA to raise profits.

Anyone got any ideas, or been there for that matter?

Cheers, ol

Negative 'G'
5th Jun 2003, 02:58
Have a look at the site below, weekdays are usually best I think as the runway is often used for car racing at weekends.

http://www.elvington.biz/

Neg G:D

topcat450
5th Jun 2003, 16:01
The runway's massive too...I went to an airshow there last year or the year before...a few unusual things..a Victor doing fast taxi runs...a rare sight these days.

Diamond 'katana' geezer
5th Jun 2003, 17:53
True....the runway used to be an alternative for the shuttle!! now thats a big runway!!:ok:

Geez:cool:

Flock1
5th Jun 2003, 23:53
I can also vouch for the massive runway - because last friday, on my skills test, I had to do a PFL. And with Elvington on my left hand side, there was no question of where I decided to head for. It was impossible to fail! Indeed my examiner told me afterwards, if i had missed the runway - then I would have (deservingly) failed my test!

Bootlegger
6th Jun 2003, 04:00
Flew to Elvington today...telephoned the aerodrome (ppr) and they said the aerodrome was active with cars...(racing)..but would clear the runway when i arrived on frequency. Made my call but with no reply, so turned final rwy 26 and decided to make a low pass to check the runway....cars were still racing, went round and made contact with radio.....the radio controller was in the process of telling the cars to shift...anyway runway clear landed (only just got in ;) ) booked in, £12 landing fee but free to get in museum.....absolutely fantastic, very friendly and some fantastic aircraft.....apparently most of the time the runway is clear of car events, i think i just picked a certain day. I would definitely recommend it. Make sure you telephone first :ok:

Davidt
6th Jun 2003, 18:52
There's always Rufforth as an alternative for a trip to York, very welcoming primarily a glider field + some microlights

foghorn
6th Jun 2003, 22:28
I concur with Rufforth, they're a very friendly bunch