PDA

View Full Version : Ppl/ir

Justiciar
5th Jun 2003, 01:27
Has anyone done the new IR exams? If so, can you recommend any books to use for reading ahead of the full course?

The detail and extent of what is covered in the exams is a bit unclear and I don't want to study alot of stuff which only relates to the CPL/ATPL.

I'm thinking of the GTS course starting later in the year with a view to the Single Engine IR next year.

Linda Mollison
5th Jun 2003, 02:57
Try the PPL/IR Europe group. This is a group of PPL/IR holders, or those planning to get a PPL/IR, so a lot of them have been through the ground school already.

Contact them on ww/pplir.org or the membership secretary is Ole Henriksen, Tel: 01481 25 25 65, e.mail [email protected].

Membership fee is only £30 per year and it is well worth joining.

Good luck

Chuffer Chadley
5th Jun 2003, 03:32
Justiciar

Why don't you give the chaps at GTS a shout- they're terribly helpful. I'm sure they'd be able to supply you with the course notes well in advance of you sitting in the classroom!

Good luck
CC

Keygrip
5th Jun 2003, 03:33
Linda - is that "group" restricted to PPL level I/R holdres - or can professional pilots join, too?

Evo
5th Jun 2003, 04:24
PPL/IR Europe is open to any pilot who is interested in operating light aircraft under IFR in Europe. We now have over 300 members, most of whom are private pilots with current Instrument Ratings, but some members are still working on, or considering, this rating, and a number of commercial and airline pilots are also members.

Justiciar
5th Jun 2003, 05:51
Thanks all. I was really trying to see what individuals might have found useful in cracking the exams. The difficulty, as I mentioned, is knowing what to read and what not to!

Keygrip
5th Jun 2003, 06:36
Have you asked Roger Henshaw at GTS??

I'd be inclined to get the course books - read through THEM- and then, at a later date, start the course.

Wrong Stuff
5th Jun 2003, 06:51
The stuff that GTS send you is more than enough to pass the exams. Much more, actually. You won't need any further reading material - the problem is remembering everything that's already in the course notes. Thankfully their brushup courses are excellent for consolidating all that knowledge. I wouldn't bother getting extra books - you won't need them.