PDA

View Full Version : Reims customs

Dude~
4th Jun 2003, 22:49
Has anyone been into Reims Prunay (or Reims Champagne to the North) on the way in or out of France? I am going to a small airfield 35nm south of there in a couple of weeks, and would like to know about customs procedures. I know I have to enter and depart via a customs airport, not just a grass stip, so how do I go about organising customs?

Would it be easier to land somewhere enroute with permanent customs such as Lille or Le2K? (Except that I prefer long flights)

Cheers

PhilD
4th Jun 2003, 23:21
I stopped at Reims Champagne (LFSR) last week inbound from Salzburg, and intended to fly on to Blackbushe. I used LFSR as it has 24hr customs, but I forgot to check about fuel and as LFSR is primarily military they have no 100LL, so I had to fly on to Le2K anyway. I just filed the flight plan from Salzburg and called Reims them up from outside the Class D inbound, and this caused them no problem.

There is not much at LFSR apart from a small GA terminal with a cafe, but we were treated to an impromptu air display from about 8 Mirages around the circuit.

If you do go to LFSR make sure you have the plate with the VRPs on it and call approach in good time, as we were given a clear route to follow via the VPRs and had to hold more than once while the military landed.

I understand that Prunay is much more GA oriented, although I don't know if they can arrange customs.

Dude~
4th Jun 2003, 23:44
Thanks, didn't know about the lack of 100LL at Champagne. It would be quite handy to land there because of the customs, and it is also pretty much directly between Boulougne VOR and Vitry le Francois where I am going.

If arriving at Prunay from the North would I be able to transit the Champagne Class D airspace easily? The last time I went to Prunay was from the south and I went around the class D airspace. Oh and is it open at weekends as I'll be going in on sat and out on sun?

alphaalpha
5th Jun 2003, 00:05
Transit of Reims Champagne Class D has never been a problem for me, although on one IFR transit I was asked to hold for a few minutes at the VOR There are new VFR transit routes to follow, I believe, so you need a current map or approach plate. If I remember correctly, the approach frequency has an automatic recording which plays when you transmit on frequency and advises you when the airspace is cold. Prunay is a very friendly GA airfield and is open at weekends, with a restaurant on-field. Why not get a Jepp/Bottlang trip kit to ensure you have up-to-date info, including customs and notice required? (I would tell you what mine says, but it's a few months out of date)

On an entirely different subject, do watch out for TPAs. Infringements are being followed up.

AA

SteveR
5th Jun 2003, 00:56
Prunay is your place. I'm thoroughly alarmed by all this talk of Champagne being open and active - I've gorn past it loads of times and never seen anything happening down there. I have had an auto response from them once, when I put their frequency rather than Prunay's in.

Refuelling is a bit of a pain at Prunay. You have to park up near the pump, trudge quite a long way to the 'C', collect the card, trudge back. fill up, and trudge back to pay.

They accept plastic for landing fee and avgas, and are very helpful - the guy behind the desk collected all sorts of weather info for me (for my next leg) without even being asked last time.

Steve R

PhilD
5th Jun 2003, 14:29
Steve

Reims Champagne was very open and active last week when I was there - I'm not sure why this should cause you any alarm....

Keef
6th Jun 2003, 03:17
Reims Prunay LFQA will do you Customs with one hour notice during AFIS hours (Summer 0900-1230LT and 1400-1900LT).

Or stop at Le Touq anyway for the sheer joy of the place...

SteveR
6th Jun 2003, 03:58
I'm not sure why this should cause you any alarm

Well, because a fair few times I've swanned through there, pretty damned close to their airspace, and never given them a thought.

Basically, because the first few times I tried to have anything to do with them and there was nobody there - I've just assumed that they will never be there.

I *will* pay more attention next time.

Steve R