PDA

View Full Version : flying in San Diego (Montgomery Field {MYF})

genius-747
1st Jun 2003, 23:24
Just wondering if any body has any experience flying around San Diego California.
Im going there for the summer for 3 months and intend to do some PPL flying out of Montgomery Field, San Diego.
I am living in Ireland.

If anybody has and previous experience of any California based flying Id appreciate the info.. maby different rules and regs they have that are diff from Ireland/UK etc....
Appreciate it.

Cheers,
Paul

Crowe
2nd Jun 2003, 01:26
Hi

I've not flown from Montgomery, but have from Gillespie, and also landed at Lindbergh in a PA28 that I hired in LA. Controlled airspace, even Class B, is no problem at all.

In general terms, I think you'll love flying in the US - everything is set up to help you, ATC are helpful to private pilots, as long as you don't mess them around... An hour or two with an instructor should get you used to the differences in RT from the UK/Eire. might be useful to have a European instructor so he knows what you know.

No landing fees of course, even at big airports like KSAN or KSEA - enjoy it!

Just don't even think about busting Class B airspace without clearance - if in doubt, turn around and hold - I know someone who got into a LOT of trouble for a brief infraction, including armed FBI men on the ground once he landed. Not a dig at the FAA, I can see why, but make sure you don't give them a reason!

I've had three trips flying round the US Southwest, and it's great - make the most of it.

Keef
2nd Jun 2003, 01:32
Yes, I've flown out of KMYF a couple of times. Totally undramatic. You should have no problem at all.

Make sure you get a good briefing on US procedures (if you're not already familiar with them). Get to know the regs, airspace categories, etc.

The scenery round SoCal is breathtaking - I'm hoping to go back next year for a couple of weeks of aviating.

If you don't already have a US PPL, you'll need to go through the process to get a "reciprocal" one - refer the stuff on here. Don't leave it till you get to the USA or you could be grounded. It takes a lot longer than you think...

genius-747
3rd Jun 2003, 06:06
cheers Crowe, cheers Keef.
I have applied for my FAA PPL certificate already... can either of you remember how long it took for your FAA PPL cert to arrive?

another thing...
Im planning two trips.... one to LA from KMYF and the other to Las Vegas again from KMYF. any info on that at all? anyone have experience flying to/from these places, also is it a good idea to fly into the BIG BOY airports or to stick to the small aifrields on the outskirts of the cities? I mean if you land in LAX where can you park your cessna for the weekend???

thanks again lads.

Keef
3rd Jun 2003, 07:34
I got my reciprocal PPL in 1985, and things have changed a bit since then :( I got an unrestricted FAA PPL/IR last year (before the new rules on visas etc).

The new procedure is explained by the gurus - see the "stickies" at the top. I understand that it takes quite a few weeks to get the paperwork sorted and the FAA PPL ready for you at the FSDO. I have no experience of that.

For LA, I wouldn't personally go to KLAX. There are plenty of fields around that are very GA friendly, and mostly in more suitable parts of town, too.

I've never flown myself into Las Vegas. I went there once (years ago), stayed two days, and am now immune. I'd far rather go to see some of God's great scenery around the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and the rest of the National Parks. There really is a lot to see!

englishal
3rd Jun 2003, 08:14
You can fly into LAX, but I wouldn't VFR either, you would need explicit clearance to enter the Class B airspace, and I'm not sure the controllers would accomodate you, unless you do it at 4am....Then watch out for noise abaitment regs. IFR, no problem, I think LAX falls in the "Tower En Route" control, so you don't even have to file a flight plan, just request TEC to LAX on the RT. You might be shooting an approach at 130 kts though.

Parking for most airports, look in the Airport directory if there's a "Transient" parking, park there its free more or less, if not choose somewhere like Jetsource/Signature/Mercury. These big FBOs are normally happy to let you stop for a few hours free, or free if you take fuel, or may charge a over night fee. I've only ever been charged a fee at Palm Springs, in a twin, $30 [somewhere you should go from Montgomery], which was then waived becasue I took on fuel and spoke in a terribly british accent and commented on how nice the ladies hair was :D. If you're ever unsure of directions when taxying, ask for a "progressive taxy" and they will basically give you directions ["turn left here, take the next right....... park in the free space on the left" - that sort of thing]

As Keef mentioned, there are hundreds of airports around the LA area, depending on where you want to go, for example Hollywood, Santa Monica, Burbank to name but a few, all easily accessible to VFR traffic.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
EA:D

18greens
3rd Jun 2003, 20:57
If you are going to be there for 3 months look up Plus One flyers at Montgomery. A wide range of aircraft at good prices.

You must do Canyon, Big Bear, Palm Springs, Sedona, Las Vegas oh and Catalina island.

If you are going to be there that long consider a twin rating or an IR. You can even do a lear type rating at montgomery .

My only other tip is hire the most powerful thing you can. The density altitude of these airports makes flying a 152 pretty interesting.

Other than that have a great time. Its fantastic.

silvereagle
3rd Jun 2003, 21:43
I have done a lot of flying in the San Diego area including flying out of Montgomery (around 150 hours). It's a great place, you'll love it. Montgomery is a large airfield with lots going on. It is very busy so you need to be fully up to speed on US/FAA procedures. That is not just a hint, it is a necessity. You will get yourself into serious bother if you approach it with a cavalier attitude.

I did the trip to Las Vegas from Montgomery and it was great fun. After take off, head for the Julian VOR and then weave your way through the MOAs via 29 Palms VOR, Goffs VOR and into Macarran. I seem to remember doing the trip at around 10,500'. The trip takes about 2 hours and on hot days you need a good performing airplane. I have done it in a Seminole and a Duchess (both rented from Montgomery) where they insist on a minimum of 25 hours multi time before taking the airplane away.

Macarran is no problem and my final approach on both trips was for runway 19 which is straight down the strip. Provided you buy more than 20 (I think) gallons of fuel there is no landing fee. They do charge a premium for the fuel but they also provide you with limo transport to your hotel so that represents a good value.

If you need more info let me know.

Crowe
4th Jun 2003, 02:03
hi again

got my FAA PPL cert in March 2002, before they changed the rules - took about 30 minutes, but I understand it's a lot tricker these days.

If you're off to Vegas, I recommend North Las Vegas airport - excellent service VFR/IFR, plus if you're coming from the west you can avoid most of the controlled airspace. Worthwhile doing a flight in from the south though, KLAS approach will, if you're lucky, clear you over the end of one of McCarran's runways then straight down the Strip to NLV - do it at night, it's fantastic!

have a great trip.

jayemm
4th Jun 2003, 22:32
I flew from Montgomery Field a couple of years ago. My plans for Death Valley were scuppered due to the late return of the rental 172.

However, I flew across Palm Springs into the desert. A very different experience from the LAX/LAs Vegas route. Contact me by private mail if you're interested.

Two points of caution:

1. MYF has parallel runways. When taxying make absolutely sure you stop and get clearance before crossing.

2. Sea mists can occur over the MYF area in late afternoon; this combined with the sun setting in the West can create considerable visibility challenges (as I found) if you're approaching from the East.

willbav8r
5th Jun 2003, 02:39
Just did a flight from N Cal to North Las Vegas, then down to San Diego (Brown). Stopped at Palm Springs.

Drop me a pm if I can be of any help. Great scenery - and I met some good folk. Had myself a bit of an adventure too.......:uhoh:

West Coast
5th Jun 2003, 13:14
I used to instruct out of MYF for a number of years. Like the others, if you have any questions you can PM me or ask them on the forum.