PDA

View Full Version : How to be Dim

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jun 2003, 22:04
Well, I thought the radio frequency display was dimmer than usual, but I could still read it OK so off I went for my solo navex.

However by the first turning point the display had got so dim that I decided that I didn't want to try changing frequency. I could find no brightness controls or switches on the radio; and was not aware of ever having been taught about any overall panel brightness control, and I couldn't find one, and in any case all the other radio displays were normally bright so it couldn't be that, could it.

So, as I was still on the home airfield's approach frequency, I abandoned the navex and flew home, landing on the approach frequency. (They called me every few minutes on the way back to see if I was still alive (and gave me headings which I didn't really need as I wasn't lost).)

After landing, the instructor (when he got back from his shopping) showed me where the panel brightness control was, hidden under the control column so you can't see it just by looking around, and explained that it only affected the main radio because all the rest were more modern and had automatic brightness controls. Quite how this knob had managed to turn itself gradually dimmer throughout the flight we couldn't determine; the instructor didn't think it could vibrate itself round in flight - one theory is that the edge of my clipboard might have been rubbing against it.

Ah well, my first ever real diversion, even if it was only back on a reciprocal track. (With no horizon, limited visibility and a wind stronger than forecast this wasn't a completely trivial exercise and was definitely a useful learning experience.)

Hope this helps someone - if you don't know where the brightness controls are on your aircraft ask your instructor next time.

Keef
2nd Jun 2003, 01:40
Been there, done that...

There's another "gotcher" in there that will come after you one day.

If you turn on the nav lights, the three green "gear down and locked" lights dim to the extent you can't see they're alight at all, so you have the delight of working out what to do to land with no green lights.

Worth knowing where the panel light dimmer and the nav light switches are, even for daytime flying!

Some clubs even put screws into the PA28 nav and panel light switches to stop them being adjusted.