PDA

View Full Version : APP ban vs jar-ops 1.405

fernando
1st Jun 2003, 09:17
I am in need to clear some fog patches.

What are the differences between the Approach ban and the jar-ops 1.405?

The App ban is for operators who are not jar ops, but basically 1.405 is an app ban.

Also, how do you understand d) from jar-ops 1.405

(d) Where no outer marker or equivalent position exists, the commander or the pilot to whom conduct of the flight has been delegated shall make the decision to continue or abandon the approach before descending below 1000 ft above the aerodrome on the final approach segment. [If the MDA/H is at or above 1000 ft above the aerodrome, the operator shall establish a height, for each approach procedure, below which the approach shall not be continued if the RVR/visibility is less than the applicable minima].

Is it 1000ft agl representing the OM or equivalent position from where the approach should not be continued?

hence, and approach ban

Many thanks, fernando

fernando
8th Jun 2003, 18:05
NO replies!!

Should I rewrite the question? or

Shoul I also ignore the Approach BAN and JAR 1.405?

Fresca
9th Jun 2003, 09:41
My understanding of the JAR 1.405 is that it equals an app ban if the RVR is below prescribed limit (Normally 550m RVR for CAT I ILS).

Normally if the commander gets info that the RVR is below that minima, and he is above OM (or 1000 AGL) he must abandon the approach no later than the OM. However if he is inside the marker he can continue to the prescribed minima.

One note though. If I recall correctly there is no visibility in the 1.405. If one is given visibilty he can convert that to RVR which is almost always greater.