PDA

View Full Version : First solo nav

Dop
1st Jun 2003, 04:01
Woo-hoo! After weeks of not being able to do this because of poor visibility or crap weather, I finally got it done!

The visibility today was less than I would have liked, but I went up with my instructor for a look, and he reckoned it was OK, but it was up to me. "Yeah, why not?" I said. I thought if he thought it was OK, then it probably was.

So when we got back I did all the work on drawing, measuring and calculating my course, my instructor gave it the once over, we ticked off all the boxes on the form, and off I went on my own.

Pretty good trip, really. On the first and second legs I completely nailed it right on the mark, and just drifted off course a bit on the third leg, but sorted myself out OK.

So it all went really well, but I was glad I took the bottle of water and had a few sups on the way, I was sweating cobs when I got out of the plane!!!

Other cool thing of the day. When we went up to check the visibility, I pointed down to the right and said "Hey look. An Autogyro! - Oh. Two Autogyros!"
You wait years to see an Autogyro then two come past at once!

Ian_Wannabe
1st Jun 2003, 04:15
Hey Dop,
Congratulations! I'm so jelous, as like you..... i'm being stopped from doing my solo X/C because of crap vis.

Nice one :p

Ian

Saab Dastard
1st Jun 2003, 05:49
Dop,

Good job, good judgement!

It's always best when the wx is perfect, but it's great to learn what you are comfortable with and capable of.

Not long before your QXC and then the skills test - as long as the summer holds up!

Cheers

SD

djk
2nd Jun 2003, 01:00
Dop,

nice one, it's a great feeling isn't it? gives you the sense that you've actually been somewhere :)
Just wait till your solo land away :)