PDA

View Full Version : Where in the world?

benhurr
31st May 2003, 18:29
I hold a JAA CPL/IR.

I am currently building hours in the UK in a PA31. However I need to log a load of single engine hours.

I have two weeks available this summer. Should I go to the USA, Oz, or South Africa?

I might well go with a friend and we will fly as much as possible.

I don't want to fly in circles - so where is the best (cheapest) place for me to go?

Thanks for your help

Ben

englishal
1st Jun 2003, 05:18
In my view, go to the USA, the reason being that you can transfer your JAA IR to an FAA IR by taking the "Instrument Foreign Pilot" computer exams. Read the Jepp Instrument Commercial manual a couple of times before you go and you'll pass fine. Then you're not limited to VFR flight, like you will be in Oz or SA. Do you have the FAA licence issued on basis of ICAO licence already? If so it's a piece of p*ss, else you have to apply for it soon to be able to get it by the summer. I don't really know whats involved, there are a few posts around on this subject....

You can get SE hours for $50 wet in a 152 or $75 in an Arrow depending on whether you just want the hours or whether you want to enjoy your flying :D Also, I recommend going to the West Coast, there is shed loads to see over there, and you have the fun of flying in the mountains rather than flat lands.....

Enjoy it...
EA:D

FWA NATCA
1st Jun 2003, 16:21
Benhur,

If you do come to the US to build hours try to find time to visit the EAA fly in at OSH (Oshkosh Wisconsin) during the last week of July. This is the ultimate experience and you will throughly enjoy visiting Oshkosk.

Imagine over 14,000 privately owned aircraft parked at one airport, that is OSH.

Mike
NATCA FWA