PDA

View Full Version : Changing flying schools

Pianorak
31st May 2003, 16:46
How ethical is it to change flying schools?
After some 10 lessons with flying school A I find there is a distinct lack of rapport between me and the school which has rather dampened my enthusiasm and dented my self-confidence. There is no doubt that my FI is a highly respected and skilled pilot and I cannot fault him in any way. But because of the lack of chemistry between us I no longer look forward to my lessons and am wondering whether I am being too sensitive and should give up flying anyway or whether I should change to school B, a school which I originally rejected because of the travelling involved, but where even after one trial lesson I felt completely at ease.
The trouble is what reason could I possibly give for wanting to leave school A? I could hardly mention lack of rapport and chemistry or say that I am giving up flying altogether since due to various factors that lie would be exposed in no time.

DB6
31st May 2003, 17:16
There is no problem at all with changing schools. You are paying the dosh and you call the shots. As to the excuse, that's a more personal thing but I have always found that in the long run it's best to be absolutely straight about things, after all if you're experiencing a lack of rapport it should be evident to your instructor as well. Good luck.

Whirlybird
31st May 2003, 17:23
Fred,

If you feel that way, change schools. YOU are the paying customer, and you shouldn't need to give (or even have) a reason. This sort of thing happens all the time, and the school probably won't consider it a big deal, or shouldn't. Just say you're taking a short break, and leave it at that. If you run into them in the future, you don't need to justify yourself; you decided to change schools, that's all.

Bluebeard2
31st May 2003, 18:07
I second all of the above. Don't forget you are supposed to be ENJOYING this, so there's no point putting yourself through the wringer unnecessarily - and especially if you are paying them £100 an hour!

I had a bad experience with one school when I was learning and felt I needed to change - best decision I ever made. You'll find actually that people do tend to move around in the aviation world for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it can be as simple as wanting a change of scene, or type. Nobody gets too worked up.

You might find that the extra travelling to the new school isn't actually that much when you've done it a few times. More time to review your in-cockpit checks...:E

HelenD
31st May 2003, 18:18
I changed flying schools because I wasnt getting solo, there was at least one occassion where I felt I should have been sent solo. The school i changed to is 600 miles away from me and I went to the area for a holiday and had a block of lessons there. I progresed got solo and completed my PPL. I now hire from both schools depending on where I am and it is usually possible to hire at short notice from the scottish flying school. The instructor student relationship is an important one if you are to progress so find the right instructor for you. If you have done any significant training you will need to take a coopy of your student records with you so you dont have to repeat but the school you are going to should give you all the advice you need. Just dont give up

Pianorak
31st May 2003, 19:17
Thanks everybody for your sensible responses. 100 lines: Student/instructor relationship IS important, and changing schools is NO big deal. - Got it!
Happy landings everone and thanks again!

Keygrip
31st May 2003, 20:27
Fred
100 lines: Student/instructor relationship IS important, and changing schools is NO big deal. As this is your first offence - forget the 100 lines - do a one hour detention but use the time to study the books.

:D

Pianorak
1st Jun 2003, 00:07
Keygrip - Wilco!

Just returned from another lesson and lo and behold it was the best lesson yet. My nightmare "trimming" was transformed into an object lesson - and my ten recoveries from a stall have to be seen to be believed. Total transformation. Before the lesson my FI somehow picked up on my "mood" (I wasn't even aware of one) and asked: Anything wrong? You seem subdued. I didn't want to get into an argument and just blurted out: Hmm, you ARE perceptive. Nothing further was said by either side.
Perhaps not quite what I should have said but it seems to have had a beneficial effect, and I have decided to give him "another chance".
Watch this space. ;)

parris50
1st Jun 2003, 17:02
Perhaps your instructor has been reading this thread
:O