PDA

View Full Version : Camargue low-level route?

Fly Stimulator
29th May 2003, 06:30
I'm off to France for a week on Monday and I'd like to fly from Carcassone to Aix-en-Provence during the trip.

I see that there is a low-level route (max 700') along the Camargue coast from Montpellier to Marseille which looks interesting. I was thinking of following that and then turning inland around Cassis and heading up to Aix from there.

If anybody has any hints and tips on this I'd be interested to hear them.

Thanks,
FS

Tall_guy_in_a_152
29th May 2003, 21:35
I don't know about the low level route, but I was diverted to Montpelier last year due to storms at Nice (as pax in a BA RJ100).

The flight over the Camargue from Montpelier to Nice was fantastic. The scenery is like nothing I have seen before - salt pans, wilderness, beaches and virtually no signs of habitation except for some very flashy looking hotels. I made a mental note to return one day and fly the leg myself (in something smaller than the Avro ...).

I also spent an interesting 90 minutes in the cockpit at Montpelier, where it transpired that the Captain did his CPL at the same club I did my PPL. Small world. Unfortunately I did not stay up there for the flight (didn't want to out-stay my welcome).

Anyway, no hard facts from me, just encouragement and a twinge of jealousy.

TG:p

bcfc
29th May 2003, 22:21
Twinge of jealousy!!! I'm a writhing mass of gooey green envy as I sit in my steaming office looking across a CAVOK vista :}

On Track
30th May 2003, 11:57
Hey Tall Guy - come out to Oz and you can see a lot more of that kind of scenery - maybe even including the flash hotels.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
30th May 2003, 17:17
I was in Oz for an excellent 3 weeks back in 2001. No time to arrange flying unfortunately (Melbourne Grand Prix, visiting Sister in Sydney, trip to Uluru). I agree that when it comes to 'uninhabited' (and uninhibited :O ) Oz takes some beating!

I will be returning, probably next Easter, and probably to include Queensland / Barrier Reef this time. I DO intend to plan some flying this time.

I will make that the subject of a new thread nearer the time and hopefully get lots of good advice from Aussie ppruners.

Fly Stimulator, please report back how your trip goes. A few pictures would be nice!

TG