PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Northern Ireland

Crowe
29th May 2003, 03:51
Hi

I'm trying to get straight the legal technicalities for a flight from England to NI (either Belfast City or Newtownards).

Am I right in thinking that the only thing different to a normal internal UK flight is that I need to notify Special Branch (or is it the RUC/PSNI)? I'll file a flight plan anyway since there are over-water legs and I'm in a single.

Clearly customs are not an issue (I think), but don't want to get on the wrong side of any anti-terror regs.

thanks for any help.

Keef
29th May 2003, 08:00
Need to use a designated airport each end, or talk to SB.

At any NI airport, carry your passport, logbook, pilot's licence etc with you. It can be "interesting" trying to get back airside otherwise. I could tell a story...

Crowe
30th May 2003, 02:03
Thanks - called the local police today - seemed straightforward enough.

Should anyone need to know there's a standard form GAR ("General Aviation Report") which seems to cover EU/foreign flights as well as NI/Isle of Man/Channel Island flights, even if you're flying to/from a "non-designated" airport.

higher
30th May 2003, 16:02
TRY ALDERGROVE GREAT ATC CHEAP LANDING AND PARKING ALSO 24 HR AIRFIELD WITH CUSTOMS ANS SB:ok:

Crowe
1st Jun 2003, 01:26
Just got back from EGAC actually - though it was a great airport.

£16 for landing, 24 hours parking plus handling (my own bus to the terminal), and a lot of help from the dispatchers (thanks if you read this) with wx etc - wish every similar sized airport was as friendly. Plus only £6 taxi into town.

Weather was disappointing - didn't see a thing from about 1000' out of EGAC until descending over POL 2 hours later, but all went smoothly enough.

Will definitely be making a few more NI trips.

Thanks for your help chaps.