PDA

View Full Version : 1 in a million chnace

KCDW
27th May 2003, 16:46
What's the chance of this..

Last Sunday, on a break in Blighty, I took the family for a jaunt into the Thames estuary to have a look at those old WW2 forts in the estuary, and saunter around enjoying the beautiful day.

At the club (Headcorn), I bumped into a chap obcvously prepping for his Test. You can spot them a mile off :) .

I asked what his route was, and he said Wyvenhoe, which coincidentally was mine 4 years back.

Anyway we went our seperate ways. He was in LX, I was in KX. After checking out the forts, I suggested to Mrs KCDW that we poodle Westward along the Thames. Tuned into Southend, and lo and behold there was LX (very calmly I thought) calling in for transition. It rapidly became clear that we were going to pass pretty close. He was at 2,200' and I was at 2000'. In fact, Southend Approach was suggesting that I reduce altitude, when I saw him above, going South/North, while I was going East/West. I judged that he was definitely 200' clear. He climbed a bit, I dived a bit to ensure clearance.

There is no doubt about it, if we had been at the same altitude, we would have collided, as he passed directly over us. As it was, it felt perfectly safe, I had visual in plenty of time, and the height separation was adequate. I wished him luck, and his next call to Approach was still professional and calm. Hope it didn't rattle him, and hope he passed!

So what's the chance of 2 aircraft leaving the same field, with different Flight Plans, ending up so close in the sky an hour later?

Kolibear
27th May 2003, 18:51
Yesterday, Mrs K & I flew up to Skegness from North Weald. As we went through the 'Luton Gap' just north of Ware, we spotted a bright yellow Cub passing us to port heading south. There was no danger, we were above him and well clear.

Coming back in the late afternoon, south of Ware this time, heading back to North Weald, what should we see but a bright yellow Cub passing in the opposite direction, below us on our port side.

It may have been the same aircraft, it might not, but if it was then its a small world.

Incidentally, yesterday was a glorious day to fly, vis. at Skegness was right round The Wash to north Norfolk and up to the Humber estuary.

vindaloo
27th May 2003, 19:23
Hi KCDW,

The flight test went well thanks - I passed!

I spotted you in plenty of time and wasn't rattled by it - as you said, it felt perfectly safe. We were climbing up to 2500' at the point our paths crossed as we were already aware of the potential conflict. Looking back, perhaps I should have reported 'visual with KX' as soon as I spotted you - anyway it was good experience for me.

I hope your trip to the forts was enjoyable - the weather was ideal for it. Hopefully see you in the clubhouse again.

topcat450
27th May 2003, 19:24
Kolibear...

How was Skeggie? I was desperate to find an a/c yesterday to take a trip over there - but failed...I had a craving for fish & chips and the weather, as you say, looked great.

Is it a good place to fly into?

TC :)

vintage ATCO
27th May 2003, 19:41
It's a well known fact that if you are only working two aeroplanes on radar and there is nothing else in the sky, many's the time one will pass directly over the other. It just goes to prove my theory that aeroplanes are magnetic. . . :D

VA

Kolibear
27th May 2003, 19:45
TC450,

Skeg was excellent - thanks. We visited the in-laws and were able to introduce them to the delights of aviation, neither of them having flown before. I took them both over their house and they were thrilled. It makes it all worth while when that happens.

The airfield is easy to find, its near the giant roller coaster and huge marquee, next to a long racetrack shaped lake.

The turn at the end of the runway into the parking area is a bit tight and I'd like to give a big round of applause to the caravaner who let his dog run onto the runway while I was on finals. The kids playing by the runway were much better behaved.

Bluebeard2
27th May 2003, 20:36
Hello all!

It was indeed a lovely day for flying yesterday! :D

After a superb run and break from the Aerostars at North Weald I took 'WH, the club C152, up to Earls Colne for a bit of a jaunt (like the new hard runway, but its suprisingly narrow...). Was great fun hearing the Red Arrows pass through.

Incidentally Kolibear, I noticed your booking out for Skeggie, sounds like you had a great trip.:cool:

Oh, and congrats Vindaloo :ok:

KCDW
27th May 2003, 20:42
Vindaloo - Small world eh!

Really pleased you passed, certainly sounded as if you knew what you were doing. Have to admit, afterwards, I thought about how sloppy my Position Reports are nowadays compared to your text book TRPACER. Who was your instructor? Mine was AV.

Anyway, hope you stick with it, and see you around the club some day.

KCDW

vindaloo
27th May 2003, 21:45
KCDW - I did the first 15 hours at Aberdeen, including an excellent RT course run by an ATCO there, then moved to Headcorn last year and carried on with DW.

Thanks Bluebeard.